The Germans Sit on a Throne of Lies!! ;)

HRH

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/25/us-volkswagen-emissions-idUSKCN0RP14U20150925

The International Council on Clean Transportation, one of the research groups that helped uncover Volkswagen's deception, has published new data showing carbon dioxide emissions in European road tests were on average 40 percent higher than the laboratory results advertised in car sales literature.
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but I do find it funny they still did it in Europe and the emissions were 40% higher.  That's not a little bit of cheating.  That's a lot.  Plus I hate VW, so there you go, serves my agenda.  :)

I am willing to bet that they are not the only ones that are doing this, and not just on diesels either.Just the first to get caught. 

Whoooooooo, just what are you trying to say there buddy? Are you saying big corporations are greedy and would lie to make more profits

• Like 3

Every one of us who puts a matchbox distributor, a weber carburetor, or a five speed transmission in place of a four speed does basically the same thing.

Actually, everyone who disables their EGR is doing what VW did.  No EGR allows leaner tune, better mileage (in VW's case it's close to 20%!), slightly more power, and WAY higher NOx emissions.

I do not know the details of how emissions testing is done in other states, but in Oregon, on 1996 or newer cars DEQ hooks up the the cars OBD2 port, and the cars computer tells the DEQ that all the emissiohns systems on the car are working.  Then you pass.  There is no actual testing or checking what is actually coming out of the exhaust pipe.

I do not know the details of how emissions testing is done in other states, but in Oregon, on 1996 or newer cars DEQ hooks up the the cars OBD2 port, and the cars computer tells the DEQ that all the emissiohns systems on the car are working.  Then you pass.  There is no actual testing or checking what is actually coming out of the exhaust pipe.

Now THAT.... I can see getting faked.

Yeah, plug in.  If you read the full article, it mentions the map for passing smog was still loaded on some cars.  Basically like having a standalone system with a setting for race and one for economy.  Except, the race never shows up at DEQ. ;)

Yeah, plug in.  If you read the full article, it mentions the map for passing smog was still loaded on some cars.  Basically like having a standalone system with a setting for race and one for economy.  Except, the race never shows up at DEQ. ;)

That's sorta what they did.  Info has been scarce, but what it appears to be is they had 2 maps loaded into the ECUs- one would run when the OBD2 port detected something was plugged in (as in an emissions test, which is why they passed tests up to this point) and a second map that disabled portions of the emissions controls when the OBD2 port wasn't in use.  Likely the EGR or whatever they use to reduce NOx emissions.  Probably changed the fuel map as well.  Even diesels are massively computer controlled.

There are rumors that this sort of manipulation may be far more widespread.  Not just Volkswagen.  You may see sniffers come back for newer cars for a while.