Snake pit - rhino built

Rhino13

Rhino The rule of thumb I have always used in the past for lowering the rear of a vehicle is:

1" Drop = 1/4" spacer under the carrier bearing

2" Drop = 1/2"

3" Drop = 3/4"

4" Drop = 1"

This in no means is set in stone just what has worked for me in the past.

As Mike said and pictured the angle of the drive line must be the same on both ends for optimum vibration free movement.

Rhino try the 1" tubing you have for the spacer as the formulas above is also depend on outside diameter of tire.

• Like 3
  • Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Charlie!

Got the motor on the stand and partially taken apart, but I need to find something to block the chain so I can take the head off. Never done it before so any input is appreciated. Also have a few questions about the motor.

Now to go through it in pictures, the engine in its home for a while

IMG_20151118_151410870_zpsb2vur5lv.jpg

Manifold pretty much stripped down

IMG_20151118_151426312_zpsozlqbhui.jpg

Intake removed

IMG_20151118_154232568_zps1nx7bmix.jpg

Exhaust removed

IMG_20151118_161301406_zpsq9cjtllx.jpg

Pretty clean water passage

IMG_20151118_165743291_zpsqkvzc8g5.jpg

The oil pump shaft has a gouge in it, will that mess with anything?

IMG_20151118_174718831_zpswkqtjtzg.jpg

This bolt was in the bottom of the timing cover when I pulled the oil pump, does it go somewhere under the cover or was it dropped through the top from somewhere else?

IMG_20151118_174749247_zps4whoaxls.jpg

I mocked up the L series distributor

IMG_20151118_180436660_zpscwrwitcd.jpg

Looks pretty good under the valve cover after wiping it down a little

IMG_20151118_184047699_zps2vfooplm.jpg

Now this is my biggest concern, to me it looks like a patch in the block... I was only planning on putting new gaskets in it but it looks like I'm going to have to pull the bottom end apart and possibly look for a new block.

IMG_20151118_184538957_zpspjlgoo3d.jpg

• Like 1

Welding cast would be tough.. but not impossible. Are you sure someone didn't just try to clean it? I would pull the oil pan and see what's doin from the inside out.

Also regarding the chain block.. if you're pulling the head and presumably the pan.. I wouldn't worry about blocking the chain to much. If you plan on reusing the timing components, put it at TDC on the compression stroke and mark the chain on the crank and cam sprockets.

But these motors have been known to have timing chain noise issues.. so I would at least replace the timing chain guides if they don't look like they are brand new already.

• Like 2

It's a really hard epoxy from what I can tell. I will pull the pan tomorrow and see what's going on in there.

I am going to get a timing set for it, it's worn out.

Then I wouldn't worry about blocking the chain at all. Pull the oil pan, pull the timing cover, pull the chain, pull the head. 

Regarding the block, if it is epoxy.. or something then get a spare block. That just sounds like trouble.. If the epoxy expands/contracts at different rates.. which is likely, it could leak. However.... maybe from the inside it's okay.

• Like 2

More updates, I'll post pictures later. I decided to take everything off tonight to look into that apoxy spot from the inside and its all the way through. It's not a very big spot but it's still a hole. Also that bolt for the timing assembly has smooth threads and the threads are pretty much gone in the block. Looks like I'll be getting a new block...

I've heard you can use a z24 block, z22 crank, ka24e pistons and head to make a pretty good motor. What are the differences in the heads of a ka and z24?

• Like 1

Here's the inside of the block where the apoxy is

IMG_20151118_220412704_zps1s0cvafv.jpg

Threads on timing assembly bolt pretty much gone

IMG_20151118_221819737_zps4ifz4sqv.jpg

The hole is should fit into, threads are pretty much gone from there too.

IMG_20151118_221827614_zpstwt5ifcc.jpg

The internals look alright from the bottom, top of the pistons look alright aside from a bunch of carbon buildup

IMG_20151118_224753649_zps5mjrdt9y.jpg

And one last picture of the head after I sprayed it down with degreaser a bit

IMG_20151118_224808225_zpsg9nciwfg.jpg

• Like 1

Epoxy lines up with rod cap. May have replacement crank and rod. These engine are select fit bearings and such from the maker. Probably has bearing size stamped on crank throw. That's fine if it was assembled properly but seeing timing chain parts in the pan scares me.

• Like 1

Epoxy lines up with rod cap. May have replacement crank and rod. These engine are select fit bearings and such from the maker. Probably has bearing size stamped on crank throw. That's fine if it was assembled properly but seeing timing chain parts in the pan scares me.

Are to saying it'd be fine to run it with the apoxy? It is right in line with the first cylinders rod. The timing chain parts were in the bottom of the timing cover, just that one bolt was sitting there and the tensioner arm had dropped down a bit so it wasn't lined up with the tensioner, the pan is clean other than the water/oil mix from being left outside.

I got the head taken apart a bit and there's a few small surface rust areas on the cam, nothing that looks like it would affect anything. Rocker arms and shafts are in good shape. Haven't pulled the springs and valves yet, but from what I can tell they're all in perfectly fine shape.

• Like 1

Can't think of anything else that would hole the block than a rod. I assume it was running when pulled so the epoxy is sealing the hole. I wouldn't race it but you can run it.

The dirty valve train is lack of proper oil and filter changes. That would indicate disregard for keeping the oil topped up leading to a thrown rod?

At work, must go...

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it was running when pulled, but it had definitely been run with the apoxy on it. I don't plan on racing it, so I probably will throw it together that way I can run it until I find another complete motor to actually build.

Good point, it was definitely not maintained correctly, the entire inside is caked in build up. I'm going to pull the bottom end apart tonight to make sure nothing it wrong, it spins smooth with no noise but I actually already pulled the crank bearing caps so I can't really turn back now haha.

Thanks for the info datzenmike, makes me feel better that it's not scrap.

Here's the inside of the block where the apoxy is

IMG_20151118_220412704_zps1s0cvafv.jpg

Threads on timing assembly bolt pretty much gone

The hole is should fit into, threads are pretty much gone from there too.

IMG_20151118_221827614_zpstwt5ifcc.jpg

The internals look alright from the bottom, top of the pistons look alright aside from a bunch of carbon buildup

Looks like engines that have sat in or were full of water at one point ,, to me.

• Like 1

Are to saying it'd be fine to run it with the apoxy? It is right in line with the first cylinders rod. The timing chain parts were in the bottom of the timing cover, just that one bolt was sitting there and the tensioner arm had dropped down a bit so it wasn't lined up with the tensioner, the pan is clean other than the water/oil mix from being left outside.

I got the head taken apart a bit and there's a few small surface rust areas on the cam, nothing that looks like it would affect anything. Rocker arms and shafts are in good shape. Haven't pulled the springs and valves yet, but from what I can tell they're all in perfectly fine shape.

• Like 2

As well as which hole the pistons came out of, and the direction they were facing. LOTS OF PICTURES. Not only for us, but for you too. They will help with reassembly.

As long as the pistons stay on the rods you're ok, they and their matching rod caps are numbered. Pistons have a dot or punch mark on the outer top edge to the front of the engine.

0996b43f802090c2.jpg

89mmKA24Efloatingpinpiston002Large.jpg?w

• Like 3