Snake pit - rhino built

Rhino13

Figured I'd post up a picture of the new carb on, I still plan to remove all the A/C stuff and clean up the bay more but it's running good finally and is way more fun to drive than before!

IMG_20150822_192642513_zpsobpuj1x5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've only driven the truck a handful of times with the new weber, and the fuel pump went out again! I'm upgrading it when I take it in to exchange it, but I'm tired of them going out every couple months. Any suggestions on a good aftermarket pump that doesn't require a pressure regulator?

• Like 1

I exchanged it and one of the guys there recommended a small universal one so I tried it out and it seems to work pretty good. The one I got is 2-5 psi so it should be good, but I've only driven it a few blocks to get it home and I took it really slow.

• Like 2

Rhino I use the Facet replacement pumps and have not had to replace one yet.  The Facet are the same as the OEM Pump.  You need a pump that does not exceed 4 psi.  you also do not need a pressure regulator if you use the steel piping that is on your engine from the factory. 

Move your inlet fitting to the other side of the carburetor and use a short rubber hose to connect to the stock steel pipe.

The stock steel is set up as a "Y' pipe with a fuel return line.  The fuel return line has a built in metered orifice that sets the fuel pressure at 3 psi.  I had to bend the steel line a little to keep the rubber hose from kinking.

Another point about the stock fuel pump is it runs continuous never building pressure and shutting off as the over the counter pumps.  This is possibly why your pumps keep going out.

The Facet pumps are pricey but well worth the money.  I will check the part # of the facet pump I am using and post it here for you. 

http://www.facet-purolator.com/gold-flo.php

• Like 1

Thanks! How's your 510 doing? Having fun with the new motor?

Yeah so far so good. Just put a new clutch and radiator in last weekend. Have about 100 miles on the new setup so far.. feeling good. My carb is still funky though... but it runs and pulls pretty hard. 

• Like 2

Yeah so far so good. Just put a new clutch and radiator in last weekend. Have about 100 miles on the new setup so far.. feeling good. My carb is still funky though... but it runs and pulls pretty hard.

Good to hear! Well I've got that rebuild kit if you need any parts from it, I also have a spare 32/36 with some good parts if you want to take it and swap parts to try and pinpoint the issue. It's the one with worn out throttle shafts. For some reason every time I try to go to your thread it gives me an error.

On a separate note, the fuel pump I JUST bought has issues already. The pump itself works, but the prefilter that it came with that you have to use broke loose where it was crimped together, so it poured all the gas in the lines on the ground. It's probably time to just fork out the money for a facet pump so it's quality, thanks for that info Charlie!

• Like 1

Yeah the first one that failed on me wasn't original then, they've all been little canister types, they tried to sell me a plastic one when I specifically said it's all metal. I got a facet now, hopefully I don't have any issues. The last one had a hairline crack in it, and the way it leaked made me think, do I need to put Teflon tape on the fittings? None of them have leaked from the fittings yet, it would make sense though.

Now on another note, if I carb a ka will a lower psi pump be sufficient? I know with efi you need a high psi, just wasn't sure what I'd need for the ka.

• Like 1

Rhino there is a gasoline rated Teflon tape that usually comes in a yellow roll.

With the bypass "Y" on the stock 720 fuel system there is a metered orifice that maintains the fuel pressure at about 3 to 3.5 psi.  Now this only works with low pressure pumps. 5 psi and under.

• Like 2

I got your pm and that's why I used some of that yellow Teflon tape, and I'm using the stock y pipe, it's good to know that regulates psi to an extent. The truck is doing so well with this new pump it's insane! Once the pump was on it started right up, I warmed it up, drove to entrance at the shop and made sure no one was coming, then did a burnout into second gear! It was my first good burnout in this truck and it felt great. Thanks again for the recommendation Charlie!

• Like 2

Well I just purchased a KA24e, I'll be picking it up either later this week or next week. I'll be converting it to a carb setup, so I'll be putting a matchbox distributor on it, plugging the injector holes, and making an adapter plate for the manifold.

I need to know...

Will I need new motor mounts?

Will I run into any problems with exhaust routing?

Is there an egr delete that would be beneficial?

I haven't looked into ka's a whole lot yet so I'm fairly new to them still. Any other input would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

Well I just purchased a KA24e, I'll be picking it up either later this week or next week. I'll be converting it to a carb setup, so I'll be putting a matchbox distributor on it, plugging the injector holes, and making an adapter plate for the manifold.

I need to know...

Will I need new motor mounts?

Will I run into any problems with exhaust routing?

Is there an egr delete that would be beneficial?

I haven't looked into ka's a whole lot yet so I'm fairly new to them still. Any other input would be greatly appreciated!

Good deal! You will be very happy with this.

Suggestion?    STAY FUEL INJECTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

• Like 1

2wd drive ka oil pan and oil pick up and otherwise it should bolt right in. Best wiring harness to use is from 240sx, but also requires S chassis intake manifold and injectors. Exhaust is basically identical to napsZ if it's a single cam ka. Egr delete is easily fabricated if you decide you want to. Can-am box from ratsun member icehouse makes wiring easy, but it can be done with that. Your trans will work but the ka trans is stronger.

I'm going with the carb for now, I may hold on to the efi stuff I get but I'm not sure if I even get a harness so it'll be cheaper and easier for me.

I work next to a machinist that can most likely get me an adapter plate made up for cheap if I give him the carb and manifold. The engine is being pulled from a running truck so I'm going to put it in and get more life out of it, either way it'll be a huge improvement over the z24...

I'm going to run my trans until I get a bigger house and decide to rebuild the motor, then I'll get a ka trans.

I'll post up when I get the motor, any other info in the meantime is great

• Like 2