Snake pit - rhino built

Rhino13

I got the Canby truck 5 speed. according the Harlow, which is who it's originally from, it's from a 79 620kc, so if what you say is correct nanner I shouldn't need to change anything with my driveshaft.

Hogie and I are going in on another 720 that has from end damage. I sold the 4x4 to my neighbor so this new truck will give me the gas tank and floor pans that I need since it's totaled anyway. My neighbors are getting the motor out of the new truck, it's a z24. I'll have them post up a build thread about it once we get to swapping the motor.

Hogie and I are going to cut up the cab, sell off all the good parts, and make the bed and rear frame into a trailer. I really want to rattle can it black, throw blocks on it and tow it to rats with dats. Lowered truck and trailer would look cool :D

• Like 2
  • Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What transmission did they use in the 1980 720 that had an l20b? Was it the same as the late 620's?

The 1980 5speed tranny should be the same one as 78-79 620

The 1981 and up "longtail" 5speed trannys are the same as 78-80 but with a bellhousing that fits a NapZ engine.. 

Only talking about outside dimensions not inside gearing as i know shit about that,, but those should be close enough for rock n roll.

The '79 620 has the exact same transmission as the '80 2wd. It's a wide ratio.

The earlier '77-'78 5 speed is differently geared inside. Its a mid ratio.

The reason is the '77-'78 uses a 4.375 differential. The '79 and '80 use a 4.11. With the 4.11 it's just a little harder to take off from a start, specially with a load, so a lower first gear is used. The reason for the 4.11? Well all the gears including 5th will be lower revving on the highway and this translates to a slight mileage increase.

If you have a '79 wide ratio 5 speed the ratios are...

........ WIDE......MID

1st... 3.592 .... 3.321

2nd.. 2.246..... 2.071

3rd... 1.415.... 1.308

4th... 1.000.... 1.000

5th.... 0.882.... 0.864

• Like 3

Hogie and I are going in on another 720 that has from end damage. I sold the 4x4 to my neighbor so this new truck will give me the gas tank and floor pans that I need since it's totaled anyway. My neighbors are getting the motor out of the new truck, it's a z24. I'll have them post up a build thread about it once we get to swapping the motor.

Hogie and I are going to cut up the cab, sell off all the good parts, and make the bed and rear frame into a trailer. I really want to rattle can it black, throw blocks on it and tow it to rats with dats. Lowered truck and trailer would look cool :D

Go down to Home Depot and get a quart of Rustoleum and a short nap sponge roller and paint it.  Much cheaper than spray cans!

Pics ? 

I got a canopy you can borrow and turn it into the slammed RV .

• Like 1

Pics ?

I got a canopy you can borrow and turn it into the slammed RV .

That would be sweet! I was actually considering looking around for a high top canopy to just keep on it, if I don't find one I'll definitely take you up on that.

Here it is, I have the tail lights for it in the cab

IMG_5435_zpsuiytfalj.jpg

imagejpeg_2_zpshgq1byju.jpg

imagejpeg_1_zpsywz6rsdf.jpg

imagejpeg_0_8_zpsa6dmwibo.jpg

Funny thing is I've seen this truck all over the place and I've only managed to snap one picture of it. Here it is down in Cottage Grove, it had cool patina

IMG_20150224_215517837_HDR_zpsbumuwnoz.j

• Like 2

I've seen this truck around also . Bummer it got wrecked .

Yeah it is, it was a really straight truck, I'll take a picture from the front tonight, everything is angled toward the driver's side. Evidently the truck has been in that family since 88, it has a bunch of service records and new parts.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got some rubber on those wheels I bought a while back, I think they look great! It'll be getting another inch drop with the smaller 205/50r15's, last ones were 225/60r16

IMG_20160329_142615462_zpsefio174r.jpg

Also got the timing cover for my lz, and the little offset wheel on the cam for the fuel pump, although I'm probably going to use an electric pump. Thanks for the parts Hogie

IMG_20160327_172714891_HDR_zpsstk5tavc.j

It has the 521 pan on it, 2wd 720 pan is on the ground next to it. Just had the 521 pan mocked up and for when the 521 is road worthy enough for the lz.

• Like 1

Yup it's a w58, I might be getting a w53 from Hogie and if so I'll have that one rebuilt to throw on the motor later on.

That picture makes the wheel to fender gap look much smaller than it actually is. My old wheels actually stuck out a little more than these ones do, but I am going to wait to go any lower until I can find 510 shock mounts, the stock ones are only a few inches off the ground. My tires don't rub anymore and it actually feels like I have SOME suspension!

• Like 1

Be carefull puting that closed chamber head on that Z22. You will end up with 10.2:1 compression. I had one on my black truck. It was nice for torque, but, I had to run premium fuel to keep it from pinging on a hard pull. 

• Like 1

I actually ran my tank empty recently so I could switch it over to premium a bit before it'll have the lz. So I'm running premium in my z24 until then, it seems to like it a bit more than regular not that you can tell much on a worn out 40 year old motor... Haha

Good to know on the compression though. I know it'll be lower with the w58 but I know it'll also be more of a monster with the closed so eventually it'll get one.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got everything ordered for the lz! I'm getting bearings locally and I forgot to put a pilot bushing and rear main on there so I'll look around town.

IMG_20160421_090752165_HDR_zpspqo5ikib.j

The bearings look good, I didn't take pictures of all of them because they all look great

IMG_20160421_184347304_zpsvf19tkk6.jpg

My girlfriend and I had lunch with Kevin and picked up the 5 speed and driveline for when I put it in the 521.

IMG_20160416_083904196_zpsy5rqmwyz.jpg

Had a bbq the other day, Mike (h5wagon) and Sam (Sam Shadow Z) stopped by, Al and Tom also stopped by but I didn't get a picture of the B and the 620

IMG_20160420_171338277_HDR_zpsxlozkf6o.j

Also threw some center caps on the new rims, I like it a bit more

IMG_20160412_113650985_HDR_zpsd20jwh0x.j

Getting closer on the trailer project, I ran out of cutting wheels on the floors of the cab and I've been busy with other things the past few nights.

IMG_20160419_184906274_zps0phvayvf.jpg

• Like 2

I didn't see any rings on that shopping list. Don't forget them.

WIsh I could have made it over for the BBQ.

Look at the last blue item under the z22 parts, got a set of Clevite rings coming with everything.

No worries, I'll be having a lot of bbq's this summer. I just bought a new grill, it was a little bit of a holiday, so I figured might as well try and get some people over. Had a decent turn out for telling everyone the morning of haha. Al showed up first while I was grabbing all the food, he thought it was pretty funny showing up to literally no one there haha.

IMG_20160416_083904196_zpsy5rqmwyz.jpg

Looks like a '77-'78 280z or '79 (first year) 280zx mid ratio transmission.

Harlow donated it to the Canby truck and said it was out of a 79 620, but I'm not sure if he pulled it himself of was told that when he got it from somewhere. I plan on changing the covers on the 720 trans and that trans so I can still have my shorty fit the 720 with the lz.

Heck yeah!

Is that block all cleaned up?

It's not, my sister, brother in law and nephew moved to Portland so I spent most of my days off up there with them. Now that we're back in Eugene we're going out for drinks for one of my buddies birthday. I can have it done in an hour if I don't stop.

And yes I have plastigauge. The green guy

• Like 2

So I've heard different things about whether or not I need the matchbox module in a 720 when using the L series distributor. Will I need the little module on the side or will it be good without it?

• Like 1

Well Draker, h5wagon, and our buddy Tom with a 620 stopped by last night and helped me get the bottom end of the lz together. Craig brought most of the necessary tools so a specific thank you to him for lugging all of that over.

I ended up painting it black, I was considering wire wheeling it down to bare metal then clear coating it but I ran out of time so black it was.

IMG_20160429_093122_zpsnolpzlqg.jpg

Craig using his yellow roloc disc to clean all the mating surfaces

IMG_20160429_190322324_zpscwzy0me0.jpg

Bearings waiting to accept the crank

IMG_20160429_195343782_zpsmx5rqqa8.jpg

Crank set in getting ready to plastigauge

IMG_20160429_195746706_zpsdbabxicw.jpg

Forgot to get pictures of any of the plastigauge results, but there was one rod and one main that was ever so slightly smaller but Craig said that minimal of a difference won't really matter, and his other and better point was we can't do anything about it either way since we had it mostly together with new parts...

Checking torque on everything

IMG_20160429_215454967_zpsojvpkhxl.jpg

Everything looks good, I probably should've cleaning up the tops of the pistons but I've got time to clean them. Also couldn't get a good picture of the hone, but you can see it pretty well in this picture

IMG_20160429_215936052_zpsll74klvx.jpg

Plan from here is to pull the head apart with Mike (h5wagon) to do the valve stem seals and so I can actually clean the head up. Once that's done we're going to assemble everything, pull the motor and trans out of the 720, swap the front case on the transmissions so I don't need to get a custom driveshaft made, then slap the lz with L front on z trans in the truck and have fun.

• Like 4