Snake pit - rhino built

Rhino13

It's running!!!! I'm trying to upload it to YouTube but it's taking a while. I'll post it up when it's done.

We had to use Mike's distributor which is a matchbox. Either the distributor or the hei module is bad, but the hei was new so dist is suspect. I'm going to buy a matchbox from Al tomorrow so now exhaust is the only thing left!

• Like 3
  • Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the matchbox from Al and it's running great! Still need to adjust the carb and do exhaust. I'll probably still be working on it until the day of the show, but it'll be there with a new motor :fu:

• Like 4

Finished up the wiring tonight and Mike got the hard part of the exhaust done. It's so close! Rewired the fuel pump so the wires are mostly hidden, wired in my new tach, a horn I've had for a while, and my electric fan for the rad. All are in perfect working order which makes me happy because wiring isn't my strong point.

The hard part of the exhaust was getting it to clear the trans and torsion bar, but Mike did a great job and got it perfectly lined up to put a flange on for the next part. I'm thinking I'll keep it mostly 2", maybe go 2.5 toward the back to open it up a bit.

Pictures after I eat, although I was wiring until it got dark so none of the completed mess.

• Like 4

Alright so I have no idea, and Mike has heard different opinions for this. What should I do to break the motor in since it has new rings and bearings? Mike said he's heard people say to not go over 4500 rpms for the first ~500 miles, but he's also had people say to just rail on it from the get go. The first of those seems more logical, but I also want input since this is the first time I'm going through this process.

• Like 1

Alright so I have no idea, and Mike has heard different opinions for this. What should I do to break the motor in since it has new rings and bearings? Mike said he's heard people say to not go over 4500 rpms for the first ~500 miles, but he's also had people say to just rail on it from the get go. The first of those seems more logical, but I also want input since this is the first time I'm going through this process.

• Like 1

Drive it like you stole it. No constant rpms for long periods of time. Change oil around 500 miles.

Compression check it after 100 or so miles. If compression is good and uniform, drive normally.

There are a lot of theories.. it's not rocket science.

• Like 3

Drive it like you stole it. No constant rpms for long periods of time. Change oil around 500 miles.

Compression check it after 100 or so miles. If compression is good and uniform, drive normally.

There are a lot of theories.. it's not rocket science.

So keeping it under 4500 isn't necessary? That makes me so happy!! And when you say constant rpms, you mean like an hour on the highway going the same speed type of thing? I really hope compression is good, there's no reason it shouldn't be though.

• Like 2

Yeah, no I5 tours. Just fluctuate up and down the RPM range a bit. I broke in my recent L20 driving to Willamette pass. Smoked a bit on the way there on deceleration, but that went away after a bit. Since we honed the cylinders, that should help a lot.

• Like 3

I drove it around my neighborhood! Got way too excited and forgot to take video until after haha. First lap around the neighborhood it kept falling on its face and did what the z24 was doing where it felt like the secondary wouldn't open. Then Mike reminded me we didn't adjust the carb at all so we did the 2.5 turns out, made sure it didn't diesel, then adjusted the idle speed. Holy shit what a night and day difference!! I know it'll only get better from where it's at, but it felt really solid and rolled so smooth.

I didn't take it up to 4000 yet because it was only a short piece of exhaust, but it pulled harder than my z24 did at its highest point! Taking it for a drive was the exact motivation I needed for me to get up early and finish my exhaust so I can go help Al and Mike fix Cesar's front end and hang his new parts.

• Like 3

Got the exhaust run and took it for a shakedown over to Al's house. My windshield is dirty so my phone wouldn't focus outside the truck haha, I'll clean it and get a driving video soon.

Got a video of the first startup with my custom exhaust. I'm pretty proud of this whole thing, I pieced together and welded up the exhaust to meet two of the stock hangers, so it's very solid and sounds great to me.

It drives really well and pulls really hard! Very happy with the results so far, now I'll be in the lookout for a side draft setup :)

• Like 3

Nice work! Glad to see it.. now time to hit the windy roads ad have some fun this weekend.

So stoked to get out there and enjoy some time off with a bunch of people I don't see all that often.

• Like 2