Snake pit - rhino built

Rhino13

Well I got my replacement......I put it on my spare carb and now its barely holding the primary open. I'm going to install it on my carb to see if its really doing anything as it is a smaller amount than it was when the secondary was the issue. I may have to get my money back if it is flawed again, they are actually cheaper elsewhere but I knew a lot of people like pierce.

• Like 1
  • Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I got my replacement......I put it on my spare carb and now its barely holding the primary open. I'm going to install it on my carb to see if its really doing anything as it is a smaller amount than it was when the secondary was the issue. I may have to get my money back if it is flawed again, they are actually cheaper elsewhere but I knew a lot of people like pierce.

But the primary has a idle screw, while the secondary didn't, so if the secondary is closed now, you can adjust the primary open to control the idle, they both cannot be completely closed, as it has to have air to idle.

• Like 2

You keep calling it like it is wayno. I was a little frustrated by the thought of having two flawed ones and overlooked that on the bench test with the old carb. Put it on the truck changed out the idle jets so they're both 55 rather than 60 and 50, and it started right up and idled at 800. I have the mixture at 1 turn out (recommended by someone on an opel forum) and it comes off idle without hesitation! Its a little throatier but sounds great and is very responsive. I have yet to take it for a drive because Hogie is about to be here to pick up some 521 stuff for his NL. If he doesn't bring anyone I'm going to take him on the maiden voyage with it.

Now that I have it installed and working proper, I will order a set of jets so I have more than the couple I already had, and find out what it likes so I can do a little write up on what I think works best. Thank you all for the help along the way, I'm glad I got the flaw figured out and was able to get another set to make it work.

• Like 1

Yeah I forgot I messed with the primary set screw on the bench carb and didn't reset it back out all the way like it was. The one on my truck has both set screws not even touching the linkage but it seems to idle great. Going to take it to work this morning and see how it does.

• Like 1

Well first impression, it drives 10x better in terms of acceleration and overall driveablitiy. I've always used the progressives but hated how it was either granny or full throttle, not much middle ground. This is the key to that middle ground. It comes off the line quite a bit quicker and keeps that going throughout the powerband. I did a little test from the road I work on since its a back industrial road with almost no traffic. Yesterday I do a long pull and remembered markers along the road for when I shifted, and I could put it in 4th but would immediately have to brake to pull into our parking lot. When I did the same thing today it got to the 2nd gear marker about 10 yards sooner, and 3rd and 4th about 30 yards quicker which allowed me to pull all the way through 4th and put it in 5th before I had to brake. It definitely needs a little bit of a tune as there is a little hesitation if you stab it from lower rpms, but I'm very happy with the results this far. I'll try to make a video so you guys can hear how its more even.

• Like 2

I was wondering the same thing, wayno. I am not clear at all about what you would actually get from adding the synchro feature to the 32/36 carb. Can you explain that to me? I realize what the effect would be, but would it really be all that effective? Stock, it is plenty of carb for this little motor. Just myself speaking, I‘d prefer a nice mix of power... and economy.

When we were in high school, messing with our first cars, 1949 Plymouths, you could add a Tri-Power manifold and run three carbs instead of one. A simple conversion. You ended up with pretty much the same speed down the road, but damn, the gas gauge sure went  a lot quicker!

• Like 1

I was wondering the same thing, wayno. I am not clear at all about what you would actually get from adding the synchro feature to the 32/36 carb. Can you explain that to me? I realize what the effect would be, but would it really be all that effective? Stock, it is plenty of carb for this little motor. Just myself speaking, I‘d prefer a nice mix of power... and economy.

When we were in high school, messing with our first cars, 1949 Plymouths, you could add a Tri-Power manifold and run three carbs instead of one. A simple conversion. You ended up with pretty much the same speed down the road, but damn, the gas gauge sure went a lot quicker!

What I like about it is the driveability. The standard 32/36 is fine, its what I've used for every 720 I've had. I totally understand its more economical because of it primarily using one barrel (so long as you keep your foot out of it). But in my personal opinion it felt like I either had to mash the gas and speed up too quick, or speed up granny style. Who knows, maybe my carbs have been flawed in some way (have all either come on the truck or bought used). With the sync link, although it may be using more gas slightly, it has a very even draw as you give it gas. The distance test I did isn't exactly science, but its a drive I do every day, and I made it through more gears faster. Just my personal opinion on all of it, I just thought it was interesting, so I wanted to try it and I liked it.

• Like 1

What I like about it is the driveability. The standard 32/36 is fine, its what I've used for every 720 I've had. I totally understand its more economical because of it primarily using one barrel (so long as you keep your foot out of it). But in my personal opinion it felt like I either had to mash the gas and speed up too quick, or speed up granny style. Who knows, maybe my carbs have been flawed in some way (have all either come on the truck or bought used). With the sync link, although it may be using more gas slightly, it has a very even draw as you give it gas. The distance test I did isn't exactly science, but its a drive I do every day, and I made it through more gears faster. Just my personal opinion on all of it, I just thought it was interesting, so I wanted to try it and I liked it.

My weber felt the same. It bogged just a bit. It was either ease into it.. or smash it.

• Like 1

Granny style, man. I like that.

2mph in first gear, with no bucking at all, and a smooth transition up to 12ph, whereupon you slide quietly into second?

Oh man, I love that shit. It‘s what old Nissan / Datsun trucks do best: parking lot creepin‘.

• Like 2

They are excellent for cruising! I just like speed so being able to speed up quickly is what I set mine up for :D the lz22 is quite fun when you put your foot down. Other than the freeway ramp and the industrial road by work I don't really get to run it through the gears much unfortunately, being that its a loud lowered truck I always worry about being pulled over so I end up driving like a granny haha.

• Like 1

Starter went out on me, was the one in the truck when I bought it so wasn't too big a deal to me. Its so nice how much easier it is on the L series than having to flip it around to get it around the manifold on the Z series. Back up and running like it never happened! I think with the trip to the store it took me 40 minutes total, although I need to take the core back.

Well after the starter replacement the snakepit decided to get an exhaust leak. I am hoping to have my a15 rebuilt for the 210 by January, so the exhaust will leak until then. But I plan on taking it all off and redoing it with something better than a cherry bomb. I put the exhaust on the way it is because I only have to buy one elbow, one 45, and the cherry bomb I had sitting around so it was the cheapest option. I plan to dump it further back and get it to sound better. I do like the way it sounds now, its just a little loud for longer drives.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well the exhaust leak decided to get worse when I went over a speed bump and bottomed out, so now its ripped open pretty good. I took it off already but its dark and wet out and I was laying on an old shower curtain because my tarps are all being used so I didn't get any pictures. But its off and will get welded back up with a coupler tomorrow morning before work. Good news is, it was a spot on the pipe that broke and none of the welds, not bad for my first exhaust!

• Like 2

Got the exhaust patched up and its much quieter, but on big bumps it hits the cross member so I need to shorten the hanger arm so it clears better. I'm going to be taking a break on the truck for a bit. Its been great as a daily but I'm still younger (24) and I don't have any debt so I decided I want to get a newer car to help build my credit up so I can start looking at buying a house in a few years. The truck will turn into the project vehicle and over time will get new steering and suspension parts, and I've been considering bagging it, but we'll see how things go.

• Like 2

Great plan Rhino! I always thought you were one of us old farts trying to relive our youth!

Post pictures of your new ride please.

People often tell me I'm an old soul! I absolutely will, really leaning toward a newer Subaru. Don't remember where I was reading it on here but someone said you have to get a car that bores you on an upgrading level so that you focus all your upgrades and mods on the Datsun and I like that idea. So I'm thinking either a 2008 Forester or 2010 Impreza Outback Sport, they both look okay to me but I could never lower it and give it wheels or I'd have to start vaping and dressing like a douche for it to make sense...

• Like 3

.. Lexis subi.. no juicing for me..

Also if you buy one that's lowered already then it would be pretty dumb to rise it back up... ALSO if you do happen to find one that is a little lowered on some wheel.. you could just so happen to not like the wheel... so there for get new ones..

I don't dress like a douche either..

Subi is a good idea.

• Like 2

.. Lexis subi.. no juicing for me..

Also if you buy one that's lowered already then it would be pretty dumb to rise it back up... ALSO if you do happen to find one that is a little lowered on some wheel.. you could just so happen to not like the wheel... so there for get new ones..

I don't dress like a douche either..

Subi is a good idea.

I'm looking at bone stock so I know it wasn't messed with at all. The 2010 Impreza only has 75k but its 9 grand, the 2008 Forester has 125k and is only 8 grand. Leaning much more toward the impreza but we'll see how much I get approved for. Both are 5 speeds of course, don't want an auto if its my personal daily.

And I was just making a joke about the subi kids that dress all douchey and vape between every breathe haha. Nika's step dad has a 98 Impreza Outback that he put a 2009 Sti motor in with a bigger turbo and he's making 350hp at the wheels, he's not a subi douche either though.

• Like 2