Snake pit - rhino built

Rhino13

Well since the SU's were not usable I'm going to sell them. My girlfriend knew I was pretty let down about driving all that way, and my birthday is coming up so she told me if I found a single side draft she'd get me the manifold. Next day (today) I looked before work, texted a guy, and picked this up when I got off

IMG_20160705_153139_zpspnfkus39.jpg

Dellorto 40mm dhla40, not the dhla40e with restricted jetting.

• Like 3
  • Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nice, i have a dcoe 45 kicking around from a single sidedraft bmw 2002 project that used to be my daily driver back forever ago. who makes a single sidedraft intake for these engines?

nice, i have a dcoe 45 kicking around from a single sidedraft bmw 2002 project that used to be my daily driver back forever ago. who makes a single sidedraft intake for these engines?

Well I've got an L series engine, but I think Canon makes one for the z motors.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks good man!! Bolt it down

Thanks! Need to figure out the linkage and get some studs to hold the carb to it first. I already have studs I can use, but I'm going to have to be crafty with the linkage. I may end up getting too excited and putting it before I figure it out just to see how it runs in comparison. I can take it down for a few days if needed now because I bought an '81 210 with a 5 speed! Got it off of Zach Gideon who some of you may know.

IMG_20160719_141604_zps42tbwai8.jpg

• Like 4

Good score on that 210 man! Should make a great daily driver with great gas mileage

After replacing the radiator cap that looked like it got smashed with a hammer then put back on, and the zip ties as house clamps on water lines it's been good to go. Took it out to Dexter already, it cruises so much smoother than my truck! But it makes my truck feel like a racecar haha.

• Like 2

So the main reason I picked up the 210 was so I could build something to autocross. I really like the idea of building an autocross truck, so my plan is to take the truck down this winter to completely replace all steering and front suspension components. I am going to install drop spindles, c notch the rear so I can go 4 link, hopefully go 4 wheel disc, and replace the fuel system to a relocated tank under the rear. Obviously this will take longer than the winter, I just plan to start the project then.

Another thing that came up about a week before I got the 210, my neighbor a couple doors down stopped by and said he found a z22 block with pistons, crank, and oil pan still on it in his shop. He said come in by and grab it whenever, I've been too busy lately but I plan to soon. So I've been thinking about finding a short tail L series 5 speed so I can stuff the lz22 in the 210, and then build an lz23 with the block from my neighbor. I'd find a u67, have it ported, and spend the money on two brand new Weber 45's with a manifold and make that thing an autocross monster. I know it would be a lot of work, but I want something that will challenge me and help me learn even more about the vehicle I'll be driving.

Just wanted to do a little thread update for plans on the truck. We'll see how much the plan changes, but I've had my mind set on it for a while and finding the 210 will let me take the first steps.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

So I feel like a bone head, but I was trying to be cautious... I was taking the intake off to finally get around to installing the side draft. I drained the rad then started removing bolts. I got down to the last bolt and a bunch of water/coolant got in my ports and the 3rd cylinder valve was open! I thought I was being careful by draining the rad, but what did I miss that caused the intake to stay full? From what I can tell I got everything that went into the other ports as they had water on top of the valves so it was easy to tell when I got it all. It just happened and I didn't want to wait to figure it out myself if it could cause problems.

• Like 2

I'd just cover it a bit and turn it over with the starter. If you aren't worried about coolant mess.. just crank it a bunch of times. Even then you probably wouldn't get it all out, but should be enough to not hydrolock the engine.

• Like 3

yeaah, some coolant in the cylinders won't hurt anything as long as it's not enough to hydrolock like draker said. if you don't think you'll have it back to running any time soon, you could put a little oil in the cylinders turn it over by hand a few times to displace whatever water's still in there and coat the cylinders a bit to keep them from flash rusting.

• Like 2

Got it all out really easily. There was such a small amount and I put a towel over the passenger side bay, so no mess was made. Just have to locate my old throttle cable since the 510 cable I was using is now too short. Once that's on, I just need to adjust the carb to a good starting point and start tuning. I was also curious if there's a spot on a dellorto 40 that I can hook a vacuum advance into? I didn't see anything that looked like it would even accept a brass fitting to put a hose on, but I figured it was worth checking.

Gotta do some exhaust work on my neighbors girlfriends van then I'll start into this. But its going to be 104 today so we'll see how far I get.

• Like 2

Before you look and see all the little things... I need to buy a longer bolt for that front manifold bolt, I didn't realize I had a really short one on it. I've put caps on the other side of the fuel line and the open water line, and plugged the vacuum advance off the distributor.

So here it is..

20160819_164026_zpssy6f2smm.jpg

20160819_164041_zps2ihtvstu.jpg

The cable isn't hooked up yet, but I got it started...barely. It only starts with the choke on, and if I give it any throttle it falls on its face immediately and dies. If I turn the choke off same thing...

• Like 1

Messed with it a little more...the fuel filter in the carb was crushed and blocking most of the line, but I disassembled the carb and didn't find anything else. I'm thinking the jets may be the wrong size, but when I had too small of jets on a downdraft it drove fine it was just gutless. Don't have any vacuum leaks from what I can tell.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are poking around in all the right areas. THese things are rarely one thing, and often a cascade of a few little things. So as you mop up the details, it may come around and/or reveal the deeper issue to you. In other words, keep wearing away at it and you will nail it eventually...

• Like 2

Well I got it running with the choke off once it warms up a bit. But with any amount of throttle it falls on its face. I checked all the jets, all were perfectly clean but one main jet was missing the o ring at the top so I threw one I had on there and that's when I got it to idle without choke. I checked the float level and it was spot on according to a chart I found, which is 15mm for the 7g floats, 16mm for 8g, 17mm for 10g. I have the 7g floats. I took out every piece I could to see if there were any clogs but there's nkthing. It runs much better turned out about 4.5 times, so I'm thinking I need to look for a jet kit.

• Like 2