Snake pit - rhino built

Rhino13

LZ or L, same difference, you want to have access to your chain tensioners with the head on. You will set the location of the slack side guide and the tension side once the head is on. You physically can't do this with the cover on. The timing cover will tap in so don't worry.

• Like 3
  • Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LZ or L, same difference, you want to have access to your chain tensioners with the head on. You will set the location of the slack side guide and the tension side once the head is on. You physically can't do this with the cover on. The timing cover will tap in so don't worry.

Ha hah! I'm glad I can use the excuse that it's my first motor build...

Thanks guys.

• Like 2

POP!

Was that another L owner loosing their virginity???

Blood! It's everywhere!

H5wagon and I jacked my truck up and found out I have a long tail trans, so once the motor is together all I have to do is put it and the L trans in there and I should be good to go. Which leads me to my next question. Which L motor mounts should I use? I know I use the rubber ones on the truck.

• Like 1

You definitely need the two L&R steel engine brackets form an L for an L. Rubber isolator? What ever works. Make it work. 

PS will be stiff to turn without the power. Can you find a standard 720 box? Power steering allows just 5.5 to 6.5 pounds to turn the wheel by hand. I don't have the info for the turn ratio but the 620 was 19 to 0ne.

• Like 1

I have a manual 720 box but the connection is different. Mine has a small u joint coming out of it, the other one I have is a piece that comes out and has two bolt holes. Could I change the shafts in them? Mine is a tilt column, the other is not.

• Like 1

I forgot the PS box is a longer unit so shorter column. Tilt columns are different again. I did rig up a PS on an L series engine in my 78 620 using a zx PS box. There's room where the smog pump would have been or an air conditioner pump just below the distributor. The block has bolt holes already there and tapped for the bracket. I made up something that fits and mounted a D21 PS pump there. That would be much easier than changing the box and column and you get to keep the powere steering.

• Like 1

We ended up using pieces of both to not change my column, but the steering box is now manual and soooo much easier to turn.

The motor is in! Kind of... it's sitting in the hole but it got dark on me so it's not bolted up at all. Just need to bolt trans to motor, bolt trans to the cross member, bolt motor in, then bolt in cross member. I'm going to get up early and start on it, I don't go in to work until 10 so if I get an early start I could potentially have it mostly together by the time I leave and hopefully running and driving by tomorrow night! Pictures after I eat.

• Like 2

Just leave the fluid in the box and connect the two ports together.

Glad to hear it is in.

Pics bitch!!!

I already swapped it to a manual box I had lying around so it's perfect now.

Only other pictures are of pulling the motor

IMG_20160525_205041350_zps39bmalti.jpg

I don't want to rush it, but I know exactly what I need to do to get it going. I have a weber adapter and all the big washers for the manifolds studs now thanks to Al. Got all the head bolts thanks to Mike, Adam, and Jessie. We pieced together one set out of 3 haha. Mike also brought me an exhaust manifold and downpipe. I have quite a bit of tube I can use to get it down around the torsion bar.

• Like 2

IMG_20160527_172614958_zpscuc5sw8g.jpg

It's in! Only problem is I have to either notch the cross member or find a pan that works. I'm thinking 620 might be the ticket, but we'll see. For now the cross member is out because Mike needs the engine hoist to pull his motor, then the guy Tom who it belongs to needs it to drop in his motor. I'm leaving it jacked up until I figure out the pan/cross member situation. 620 mounts work perfect.

Even though my truck has Nissan badges all over it, I'm glad my valve cover can back me up that it's a Datsun!

IMG_20160527_172649029_HDR_zpsqrllcyi8.j

• Like 3

Looks good man!

Hit the junk yard and snag all the 720 datsun badges. Lol

Thank you! I'm so stoked!

What I really need to snag is a Datsun tailgate... Or straighten and use the one in my yard. I actually like my Nissan badges, it has the red and blue above and below the logo, looks all race like haha. If it was a Honda they'd probably add at least 10 hp per badge.

• Like 3

Too much to read... what's the L20B out of???

No worries, it's an lz22. When I got all the parts for the original l20b I was given a 521 pan because of my plans to get my 521 going sooner.

• Like 2

521 pan should be close to fitting. All truck pans need front clearance for steering cross-rod and the bolt in torsion bar support.

521 is very close, but the back side of the lowest drop down touches the front of the cross member. 620 puts it perfectly in place, and I got one thanks to Hogie. Asked him about it and he was here with one in 10 minutes! Great service Hogie.

• Like 2