Concept Idea Datsun Wagon into a Camper

Hey Guys, I have a 1979 Datsun 510 Wagon. Well i got it as a project and was going to do a motor swap and put in a l18.

Well i got a Idea that popped into my head of making it into a camper. I always wanted to get a Pop up camper. And I love Datsun! So why not "DO IT IN A DATSUN".

What i have in my head right now, is completely gut it. Fab the engine compartment to make it storage and the stove/kitchen/grill area. The Dash space front seat area into sometype of storage area? And then make the back seat and trunk into the bed compartment. I have it where the Trunk door would come off and you could open up that area into a canopy/tent so you can stand up and sit/ what not.

What do you guys think?

Yay or nay?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys, I have a 1979 Datsun 510 Wagon. Well i got it as a project and was going to do a motor swap and put in a l18.

Well i got a Idea that popped into my head of making it into a camper. I always wanted to get a Pop up camper. And I love Datsun! So why not "DO IT IN A DATSUN".

What i have in my head right now, is completely gut it. Fab the engine compartment to make it storage and the stove/kitchen/grill area. The Dash space front seat area into sometype of storage area? And then make the back seat and trunk into the bed compartment. I have it where the Trunk door would come off and you could open up that area into a canopy/tent so you can stand up and sit/ what not.

What do you guys think?

Yay or nay?

Nay.

Get a 620 or 720 if you want enough room (barely) for a camper.

Storage/stove/kitchen/grill in the already full engine compartment full of engine and hot air and gas smells?.... no and no room.

The back has enough room to fold the rear seats down and sleep two just barely between the wheel wells. This leaves some storage in front of and behind the rear wheels. The pop up camper top is ok but there's not enough room for walking around let alone sit. If you want to sit, sit in the front. If you want to stand, stand out side. Interesting but not at all practical, I know having camped at Canby in my 710 goon. Tow a tent trailer. It's like visiting your grand kids. When you've had enough you just.... go home.

• Like 2

Ok Ok,  I'm here.  Texas stuff.  Camper stuff.  Fabbing things from other things.  Sounds like I'm just in time.

Just put a Lada engine in it.

You shut up.  You're not helping

L20 seem to be hard to find in Texas. It would not have a engine. Just a pull behind camper.

Not super hard.  You just gotta know the right people.  You now know the right people.  Welcome to Ratsun.

You better have some good fab skills and a lot of time.  That's a pretty big bill.

Nah.  If I'm understanding correctly.  Some sheet metal, a screw gun, a tow hook, one of those fold out the back tent rigs, and a little Texas ingenuity is all.

IF you're from Texas, turn it into a BBQ smoker trailer.  Cheaper and more useful, IMHO..

I could help with this too. I actually have a truck that I considered doing that to.

What part of Texas are we talking here?

• Like 3

pDSP1-16036067dt.jpg

+

hqdefault.jpg

+

carintow1234200333.jpg

x

datsun_1200_d_grill-emblem_73.jpg

am I going in the right direction here?

Maybe build in coolers in the front seats. Use electric heat and air units routed through the factory vents.  Add more vents in the back.   Sounds like fun.

• Like 2

Go get a free boat trailer frame off craigslist,,,, cut the hitch end off about as far back as the bumper shocks on the car are wide,,,,,,, weld trailer hitch to bumper shocks ,, rip out front suspension and engine and put expanded metal grating down where crossmember used to be ( for a BBQ ) ..  THEN rip the damn front seats out (for some hot digidy Texas  porch furniture) ,, and then it would be a simple as  building storage where the front seats used to be,,  to a level that the rear seat area is ,, inside for full length luxury ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

,BOOM 

You are now the proud owner of a one of a kind  luxury camp trailer BBQ

• Like 3

What do you guys think?

Yay or nay?

how high are you?

L20 seem to be hard to find in Texas. It would not have a engine. Just a pull behind camper.

It would weigh a ton and destroy a good car or parts car. If you want something like that get a Dodge Caravan (or something similar , ford gm) Cut the front off with the engine/trans and steering so that all you have is a long cube. Seal off the front with sheet metal and put a hitch on and wire up the rear lights. There's no heavy differential in the back, sliding side entrance and lift gate in back, and more usable room inside.

Don't listen to him,,, you could simply bolt two pulleys onto the front of differential and run two generators whilst going down the road,, and then ( of course ) you could then sell the power back to the power companies when your traveling around to make some quick cash.

• Like 2

And swap a sliding side door from a dodge onto the goon. Just tear off the front a rear doors, weld on a slider track, done. And modify a vanagon top so you can fit it to the good too. For head room.

There. Any more arguments against this grandiose goon killer of an idea?

Go get a free boat trailer frame off craigslist,,,, cut the hitch end off about as far back as the bumper shocks on the car are wide,,,,,,, weld trailer hitch to bumper shocks ,, rip out front suspension and engine and put expanded metal grating down where crossmember used to be ( for a BBQ ) ..  THEN rip the damn front seats out (for some hot digidy Texas  porch furniture) ,, and then it would be a simple as  building storage where the front seats used to be,,  to a level that the rear seat area is ,, inside for full length luxury ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

,BOOM 

You are now the proud owner of a one of a kind  luxury camp trailer BBQ

OR

RedneckCarGrill_A.jpg

It would weigh a ton and destroy a good car or parts car. If you want something like that get a Dodge Caravan (or something similar , ford gm) Cut the front off with the engine/trans and steering so that all you have is a long cube. Seal off the front with sheet metal and put a hitch on and wire up the rear lights. There's no heavy differential in the back, sliding side entrance and lift gate in back, and more usable room inside.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=red+neck+trailer+van

:lol: