why do we drive them?

Count me in for that 1%... include also my buddy who in the last 6 months has spent more money and had more down time on his 03' Honda than he has ever spent on his Datsun(including the initial cost of the 521 itself, engine rebuild, etc..).

..just out of curiousity, where are you obtaining your statistical data?

I make it up (ev89x, 2014)
  • Like 1
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do we drive old cars? Because I can't build a 2015 Dodge diesel 4x4. I can build an old car with a couple grand worth of parts and a lot of my own labor. And after that labor has been applied, it becomes me, or an extension of me, that speaks to other people. It's a kind of language that we use to show others what we are like on the inside.

I read an article once about e-books. A good portion of the paper books sold go to people who only want other people to know what they are reading, and they display them, like on the subway or on the bookshelf in their house.

Ralph Luaren, the clothier, is a huge vintage car guy and he has a ranch in Texas where he only has old beat up and worn out (looking) trucks and Jeeps. When asked about it he says it relates to his marketing style he calls "aspirational lifestyle marketing". People identify with something that isn't neccessarily who they really are and they display it to the outside world in all sorts of manners. Buying one of his ties or shirts sends people a message. A subtle message of who you really are.

But do we display that to everyone? No. I chose to be duplicitous. I drive my kids to school in my new truck, but I run my errands and visit my colleagues in my old truck. That's the side of me I want them to see.

To your kids and their friends, and their friends' parents you are respectable. To your friends and colleagues you are a car guy with a passion, because you don't have to worry about them having judgements or putting any type of stereotypes on you. I can't wait to get my z on the road and show who I am at school
  • Like 1

I've always been an "old school" kind of guy, though I do like newer tech, I don't really fancy it in cars.

It's the guys who's cars are "always broken" who give older cars a bad rep, but those people are usually cheap asses or dumb asses who break more things than they fix when they wrench. And those who are easily swayed by popular opinion are the type that don't even know how to change a tire, they definitely should stay away from anything that requires working with your hands and mind at the same time... like driving.

-Robert

• Like 1

I'm part of the one percent.....never let me down.....

....only when I broke her......

Bought this car when people laughed at you when you told them you just bought a Datsun......

Loved it cuz it was simple and NOT popular......just like me.....

Daughter-"Daddy??....Am I gonna get this car someday??"

Me-"No sweetie....Daddy's gonna be burried in this car.....you can have one of your own."

• Like 4

I've been driving since 1987 and have never had anything but old stuff. hell, even before I was driving I was employed by a guy who owned a '55 Chevy 210 hardtop, '55 Chevy 210 four door sedan and a 1959 Biscayne four door sedan + a small used car lot where he sold $500-$1000 vehicles that consisted mostly of 1960s-70s Novas, Torinos, etc as well as the odd drag race vehicle so I grew up with them.

Boyd, the owner of the lot where I worked as a kid + some of his cars.

ag.jpg

ah.jpg

ai.jpg

a few of mine over the years. the '55 Pontiac set me back $900 in '89, the rest were $200-$400 beaters.

ao.jpg

av.jpg

bd1.jpg

bi.jpg

bk.jpg

I actually bought my 510 to replace my 1991 Corolla wagon after a shop owner fucked me over hard on a transmission rebuild.

scan0012.jpg

I've got a picture of damned near every car I've ever owned. the only one I really, really miss is the '55 though.

• Like 3

Iv'e always been drawn to "old cars" they have more style than the new stuff coming off assembly lines, don't get me wrong I like some of the new stuff but it's just too much creature comfort to me. I like the feel of every little bump and imperfection in the road (for the most part) it keeps me on my toes because I don't have all the gizmos and gadgets of a new car. There easy to work on and fix if something goes wrong, you can almost tell what went wrong everytime just by sound or certain actions from the car. Most people you come across love them and stop to tell you an old story of when they used to have a Datsun. The community is great filled with a bunch of cool corky people and it's been very welcoming since I've been around unless your a complete ass hat. At the end of the day good or bad it keeps a smile on my face while driving or just admiring it while parked and it never gets old.

I hate change, especially when it doesn't need it.

That said, from the late 60's through the 70's Nissan had it right. There cars were enjoyable to own in every aspect ie, the pocket book, smiles and the even the wrench.

They had it so right in fact they aged like fine wine. I truly enjoy a fine 70's Datto.

Yes the oft quoted ' we choose to go to the moon ' speech of '62. Less well known is another, eight years later, when he and Norma Jean had successfully faked their deaths to be free of Jackie and be together. He called it his "I'll take you over the moon" speach

"Not because it's easy, but because it's hard."

• Like 1

Hmmmmm,I've heard this before-I think.

YES. I posted this many moons ago.  And to which I add after owning my RL411 for 46 years, if by some screw up you do break something you can fix it in a day.  There's something satisfactory in popping the hood and knowing just what every little bit in the engine compartment does without having to consult a computer printout [which may be way off!].  No vacuum lines, no black boxes no bank of infernal relays and fuses.

I drive mine everyday because it's reliable and looks different than most cars on the road today. And I got mine when there was a ton of PL510s coming onto ratsun and I wanted to be different and change it up a bit

If I didn't have mine, I'd probably have a corolla of the same year, they look similar but the costs for corollas has gone up substantially.

Yes the oft quoted ' we choose to go to the moon ' speech of '62. Less well known is another, eight years later, when he and Norma Jean had successfully faked their deaths to be free of Jackie and be together. He called it his "I'll take you over the moon" speach

Wait... Huh?

What about that grassy knoll thing?