Don’t Let the Smile Fool You. I’m Cringing on the Inside

In all truth, I was originally never going to tell this story. Because for the longest time, I didn’t even know if there was a story. I didn’t take what had happened to me seriously.

Sexual harassment, unwanted sexual attention, grabby or flirtatious old men; we’re taught as women to make excuses for them, especially as black women. You’re supposed to be A-OK with a touch here, a squeeze there, a dirty look, or even an unwanted grab. You’re supposed to laugh—act grateful, even—for the attention.

Even if you never wanted the attention in the first place.

I used to work for a very popular media company, and we had a meeting that ended with a keynote speech by the living legend, the Rev. Jesse Jackson. So, of course, the conference room was packed wall-to-wall.

After Jackson’s riveting and inspiring speech about the responsibility of black journalists, we all lined up to take a photo with him. One by one, we stepped up, shared a few words and thank-yous with Jackson, snapped photos and went back to our desks. Simple enough, right?

I walked toward Jackson, smiling, and he smiled back at me. His eyes scanned my entire body. All of a sudden, I felt naked in my sweater and jeans. As I walked within arm’s reach of him, Jackson reached out a hand and grabbed my thigh, saying, “I like all of that right there!” and gave my thigh a tight squeeze.

https://www.theroot.com/don-t-let-the-smile-fool-you-i-m-cringing-on-the-insid-1819987586

• Replies 28k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

I have little sympathy for the royal family who have all the wealth in that country. I bears watching.

I agree, the royal family's existence as a totalitarian monarchy that funded terrorists who brought down the Twin Towers is repugnant, but even the US government proves impotent in doing anything to punish them. No rather we bend over backwards to playkate them. The fact that the Saudis control a huge portion of the worlds oil supply means they weald more strategic power over the world's economy than any other country. The members of the family who were arrested were the most opened to foreign business investment and financial diversity. Did you read the article I posted?

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/06/saudi-arabia-mohammed-bin-salman-215792

If so he could have avoided the military and working as a security guard. I don't think it enters into the story much. Not his parent's fault they have money. There was something seriously wrong with him that money doesn't account for.

If so he could have avoided the military and working as a security guard. I don't think it enters into the story much. Not his parent's fault they have money. There was something seriously wrong with him that money doesn't account for.

That is true,but, I have also seen kids who came from wealthy families go on very self destructive paths. Not to say that middle class or poor kids don't, but kids who are well off tend to get very angry that they can't be what we are, regular kids. It's if they attempt to rebel like regular kids, but do it in a bigger way, a richer way. 

They tend to go to the extreme by becoming drug addicts, social dropouts, gypsy types and anti whatever. 

These are just my observations, yours may vary. 

Mike, lots of 'em seek out jobs like that to "spite" mommy and daddy. They feel like they are taking a job beneath their caste and that it will somehow cause pain and shame to their parental units. Seen a bunch of 'em in the army who turned down a free ride to college or enlisted with a serious degree that would have granted them access to the officer corps with the idea that "slumming" hurts the parents. I know that doesn't make sense to rational folks but like you said there was something seriously wrong with him that money doesn't account for.

Jesse C... Agree to a point but I don't see where wealth comes in. At all. He isn't a teenager who was angry (this is universal anyway) but a somewhat young adult with a history of threatening behavior, being institutionalized, drummed out of the service, wife and child beater, low level, low respect security guard job, (also fired from) total fuck up. Affluence played no part unless some other crimes were 'covered up' by parents, sorry.  

• Like 1

That is a very factual meme, I don't know what "standards" they hold that against but it checks out with me.

Mike, Jesse has a good point I had a cousin same age as myself his family is very well off and our lives took two very different paths. I graduated highschool and ended up with a career in a skilled trade. He got addicted to oxy's in highschool was in and out of jail and ended up dead at 25, about 2 years after he got his life together and kicked the drugs. Only major difference in our lives was the money, he went to private school lived in a wealthy neighborhood and had access to just about anything to make his future better. Not saying I didn't have access to thing to better myself it's just much easier to obtain those kinds of things with.....money.

• Like 4

That is a very factual meme, I don't know what "standards" they hold that against but it checks out with me.

Mike, Jesse has a good point I had a cousin same age as myself his family is very well off and our lives took two very different paths. I graduated highschool and ended up with a career in a skilled trade. He got addicted to oxy's in highschool was in and out of jail and ended up dead at 25, about 2 years after he got his life together and kicked the drugs. Only major difference in our lives was the money, he went to private school lived in a wealthy neighborhood and had access to just about anything to make his future better. Not saying I didn't have access to thing to better myself it's just much easier to obtain those kinds of things with.....money.

...from my experience, the more spoiled a child is the more likelihood they will end up with issues and become a burden to society. Several friends, since high school, grew up spoiled lived in a cushy neighborhood and by the time they were a sophomore their parents bought them brand new cars. Today, these 2 guys are burdens to their families and friends. 1 is still an addict, 1 can't hold a job and never finished college, lost his house cuz he spends money like theirs no tomorrow.

Q this can be true for anyone. Even more likely for the poor and disadvantaged who have little to look forward to. The poor have as many successes as the rich have failures. Every family has their fuck ups and successes. Money might buy you better guns or drugs or a faster car to kill yourself in. This guy was not this fucked up from being rich.

To some degree and the other part is if a person grew up with having too much or spoiled, hence affluenza, like my 2 friends. Something negative happens to a person when they are not raised to "man up". Devin's Mental health could also be inherited. At this point, we don't know 100% what triggered him to kill all those people but he's had issues that was not kept at bay.

Classic bad seed all round. Fucked up people have got to be at least slightly aware that they are a fuck up. Everything goes south for them leading to vicious circle of acting out, bullying, resentment to authority, excessive exercising of control over lesser beings (kids and animals) and love of guns and the power it gives them. As opposed to the average harmless gun nut who has better self control.  

The manifestation of an antisocial/psychopathic disorder is predominantly a function of biology. Similar to bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, dyslexia, etc, there are clear neurological differences that cause these disorders to manifest. That's not to say that environment doesn't play a part. If anything wealth would provide greater opportunity to treat such a disorder, but in a rural Texas town, the stigma associated with mental illness may have played a part in avoiding treatment. The idea that wealth amplifies the chance that someone will become a "fuck up" doesn't hold up statistically. People who come from wealth tend to do far better than those who don't. 

I think there's a different emotional response when someone wealthy, who we see as having every advantage, points their twisted aggression at less advantaged people. Especially when it's a person of the same race. It would be easier to direct our anger if it were a Muslim, illegal immigrant, antifa nut, BLM activist, and so on. In the absence of a clear villainous entity, this wealth gap feels sadistically unjust.

My $.02

• Like 1

Classic bad seed all round. Fucked up people have got to be at least slightly aware that they are a fuck up. Everything goes south for them leading to vicious circle of acting out, bullying, resentment to authority, excessive exercising of control over lesser beings (kids and animals) and love of guns and the power it gives them. As opposed to the average harmless gun nut who has better self control.

..some are aware, but socio paths don't feel any remorse. Its just tragic what happened in Texas.