• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop going to college and go into a skilled trade apprenticeship. You get a decent wage to start, your wage increases frequently and if you do require schooling many companies will pay for it.

Blasphemy!!  

q7nqBUb.gif

• Like 1

But not everyone can go for a trade because not everyone has good mechanical and spatial ability. That's why I believe that all high school students go through some form of career assessment. At least, this will guide a youth with a general career area. Its not 100% accurate but gives them an idea of what interest them and depending on the diagnostic tool they use may even determine where their skill set is at.

• Like 1

But not everyone can go for a trade because not everyone has good mechanical and spatial ability. That's why I believe that all high school students go through some form of career assessment. At least, this will guide a youth with a general career area. Its not 100% accurate but gives them an idea of what interest them and depending on the diagnostic tool they use may even determine where their skill set is at.

Very true, but most schools don't offer courses that could get them interested in a skilled trade. My guidance counselor told me my grades weren't going to get me into a good school and when I told him I don't care and that I didn't plan on going to college he was very confused as to why not. The while system is geared to get kids to go to college and that's a serious flaw in the system.

I was lucky enough to go to a highschool that offered things like drafting and material science classes, then later a machining course. If it wasn't for those classes I wouldnt be doing what I am now.

Now the school district I was in has built a skills center that is houses just courses that are related to the skilled trades such as machining, welding and auto shop.

• Like 3

It really depends where u live. In my area, there are trade schools that are free, specially for high school students. My son tried auto classes at a local trade school, ccoc, because the high school does not offer that course. But in order for one to attend ccoc, they have to be doing well with their hs classes.

A lot of the high school kids have no mechanical skills whatsoever.We hire young kids hoping to train them to be finish carpenters.Unfortunately the only tools we end up letting them use is a broom and dustpan and also use them for an extra set of hands.I can't let them use anything capable of cutting off body parts because they just don't have the skills needed for me to trust them.They sure know how to use that smartphone though.At my High School we had auto body,auto mechanics,motorcycle mechanics,plastics/fiberglass,woodshop,advanced woodshop,electronics,building construction and even drafting.I don't think any of that exists now.

• Like 2

A lot of times, basic mechanical ability is not being taught at home. I made sure my son knows to change his oil, how to use tools, and basic maintenance around the house like change a electric socket..heck even how to apart a vacuum cleaner. Hate to admit it but lots of young folks are not good at becoming self sufficient today. But they sure know how to play video games, facebook, Instagram and looking up stuff on the internet.

• Like 4

A lot of the high school kids have no mechanical skills whatsoever.We hire young kids hoping to train them to be finish carpenters.Unfortunately the only tools we end up letting them use is a broom and dustpan and also use them for an extra set of hands.I can't let them use anything capable of cutting off body parts because they just don't have the skills needed for me to trust them.They sure know how to use that smartphone though.At my High School we had auto body,auto mechanics,motorcycle mechanics,plastics/fiberglass,woodshop,advanced woodshop,electronics,building construction and even drafting.I don't think any of that exists now.

Yup. Sometimes I consider writing a prerequisite checklist for potential hires and giving it to my boss. I don't even know where to start with the really green guys sometimes...
  • Like 1

My son is 16 and I've tried my damnedest to get him interested in mechanics, fabrication, woodworking etc. I have a garage filled with insanely cool power tools and he has no interest in any of them. I've come to the conclusion that my fascination with this stuff was not passed on to him. What he did get in spades however is a passion for imagery, and movies. His school offers a visual and media arts academy that is geared towards game art design, next gen independent video production, and online social media marketing. His freshman academy cohorts remain together as a group in all core and applied classes throughout their 4 years of high school. They have synergistic relationships with the Drama Depot for actors, staging, lighting, etc. When he graduates he should have a serious portfolio real piece that will get him into any film school he wants. FUCK I wish I had that opportunity when I was in HS. 

• Like 2

Yup. Sometimes I consider writing a prerequisite checklist for potential hires and giving it to my boss. I don't even know where to start with the really green guys sometimes...

I ask the new guys to just watch at first,i also encourage them to ask questions.I can usually tell how interested they are by seeing if they're even watching.

I ask the new guys to just watch at first,i also encourage them to ask questions.I can usually tell how interested they are by seeing if they're even watching.

Certainly, but I've come to realize some people are not, and never will be, capable of being a carpenter. Nothing wrong with that, but I think a lot of people underestimate how skilled a good tradesman is, and think anyone can do it.
  • Like 3

My son is 16 and I've tried my damnedest to get him interested in mechanics, fabrication, woodworking etc. I have a garage filled with insanely cool power tools and he has no interest in any of them. I've come to the conclusion that my fascination with this stuff was not passed on to him. What he did get in spades however is a passion for imagery, and movies. His school offers a visual and media arts academy that is geared towards game art design, next gen independent video production, and online social media marketing. His freshman academy cohorts remain together as a group in all core and applied classes throughout their 4 years of high school. They have synergistic relationships with the Drama Depot for actors, staging, lighting, etc. When he graduates he should have a serious portfolio real piece that will get him into any film school he wants. FUCK I wish I had that opportunity when I was in HS. 

Sometimes it comes later in life. I wasn't into cars or mechanics until halfway through my 20's. It wasn't until I realized I'm to broke to pay someone to fix all the cool cars I wanted to buy..

• Like 2

I think its important to force kids into something they hate carreer wise, this way they will rebel and actually do something unique and lucrative.

Or they become hookers.

• Like 3