• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

People who read the news more likely to be Islamophobic, study finds

People who read the news are more likely to feel angry towards Muslims, a new study has found.

Whether liberal or conservative, researchers found more avid news consumers showed both increased anger and reduced warmth towards members of the Islamic faith.

The findings, based on responses from 16,584 New Zealanders from the New Zealand Attitudes and Values Study (NZAVS), were published in leading international science journal PLOS ONE.

The authors said it showed widespread representations of Muslims in the news were contributing to lower acceptance.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/islamophobic-read-news-more-racist-study-muslim-terrorism-radical-isis-plos-one-new-zealanders-a7663861.html

• Like 2

I feel the same way, but more to protect my Family. I have a cousin who I lived with for a time, he flew Chinook Helicopter for the Marines in Iraqi Storm and the Iraq war, and now works for Homeland Security. He was at my house for diner a little while ago and I asked him what the best gun was for home security. He said an aluminum baseball bat without skipping a beat. I looked at him with a WTF expression, because I know he's a gun owner x 30 and he gave me pointers on using my Beretta to "stop" someone. He went on to say that there are overwhelming data that show a gun to be a greater liability than an asset in home security, and that goes up exponentially with every person living in the house. In mosts states if your friendly neighborhood robber doesn't have a gun, you will be prosecuted for manslaughter if you kill him. Not to mention firing a gun in your house puts everyone in danger. He says he stores all his guns in a safe, and keeps a bat next to his bed. Not selling my guns, but I'm in the market for a bat now.

#iapa

#likelystory

#doodoo

from this weekend, with out directly stating, but saying no collusion. the real interesting thing is almost no one is talking about this,..

With all respect I see this as bending reality to fit a biased point of view. Even in this cherry picked contextually isolated clip, I did not hear this Schiffty guy saying anything directly, indirectly or even approaching the statement "there was no collusion". This is an ongoing investigation and even if he was on the investigating comity himself he wouldn't legally be able to "say anything definitively at this point". Come on, this is grasping at best. Only factual evidence will tell the story one way or the other. Until it's gathered and if or when we get to see it, there is only the fine spinning of Bull Shit coming from both sides. 

I watched that Mike guy's vid and thought it was interesting he's talking about non-cognitive biases. He's quoting this Maggie person who said Trump was INCIDENTALLY swept up in surveillance of FOREIGNERS by American spy agencies. Then asks why CNN doesn't report that Trump was tapped!!! In his words, because "it didn't fit their narrative" This guy isn't stupid, but it doesn't take a smart guy to see there is a HUGE difference between Trump talking to Russians who are being wire tapped, and Obama wire tapping Trump Towers. There's no arguing that.

He's right that the real issue is who held and leaked the unmasked report. And yes, clearly Rices fingerprints are all over that shit. Earlier though Mike was playing it as hypocritical that liberal sellout media was the first to say who the fuck leaked this. Funny, because that's exactly what Trump is now saying about all these "treasonous leakers". Seriously? Could it be that Trump is concern about what's on those unmasked reports? You can't play it both ways to fit two different narratives while chastising the other guy for doing the same. 

All that being said, I like his advice for tapping into social media to extend Trumps message in real time. It would be a much more effective and synergistic use of twitter. Trump would be able to frame the debate on healthcare, confirmation hearings, etc. Instead he's dropping random bombs of distraction that tend to blow up in his face. 

With all respect I see this as bending reality to fit a biased point of view. Even in this cherry picked contextually isolated clip, I did not hear this Schiffty guy saying anything directly, indirectly or even approaching the statement "there was no collusion". This is an ongoing investigation and even if he was on the investigating comity himself he wouldn't legally be able to "say anything definitively at this point". Come on, this is grasping at best. Only factual evidence will tell the story one way or the other. Until it's gathered and if or when we get to see it, there is only the fine spinning of Bull Shit coming from both sides.

I watched that Mike guy's vid and thought it was interesting he's talking about non-cognitive biases. He's quoting this Maggie person who said Trump was INCIDENTALLY swept up in surveillance of FOREIGNERS by American spy agencies. Then asks why CNN doesn't report that Trump was tapped!!! In his words, because "it didn't fit their narrative" This guy isn't stupid, but it doesn't take a smart guy to see there is a HUGE difference between Trump talking to Russians who are being wire tapped, and Obama wire tapping Trump Towers. There's no arguing that.

He's right that the real issue is who held and leaked the unmasked report. And yes, clearly Rices fingerprints are all over that shit. Earlier though Mike was playing it as hypocritical that liberal sellout media was the first to say who the fuck leaked this. Funny, because that's exactly what Trump is now saying about all these "treasonous leakers". Seriously? Could it be that Trump is concern about what's on those unmasked reports? You can't play it both ways to fit two different narratives while chastising the other guy for doing the same.

All that being said, I like his advice for tapping into social media to extend Trumps message in real time. It would be a much more effective and synergistic use of twitter. Trump would be able to frame the debate on healthcare, confirmation hearings, etc. Instead he's dropping random bombs of distraction that tend to blow up in his face.

Hypocrisy much?

On one hand you want to wait for the investigation to be over for you to hop off the collusion wagon, on the other you want to continue to pound the "Trump was talking to the Russians" drum despite no evidence of such...

:no:

hahaha, when I typed that up I knew you were going to jump in, the only part I got wrong was I had you down for noon and not 5pm.

• Like 4

I feel the same way, but more to protect my Family. I have a cousin who I lived with for a time, he flew Chinook Helicopter for the Marines in Iraqi Storm and the Iraq war, and now works for Homeland Security. He was at my house for diner a little while ago and I asked him what the best gun was for home security. He said an aluminum baseball bat without skipping a beat. I looked at him with a WTF expression, because I know he's a gun owner x 30 and he gave me pointers on using my Beretta to "stop" someone. He went on to say that there are overwhelming data that show a gun to be a greater liability than an asset in home security, and that goes up exponentially with every person living in the house. In mosts states if your friendly neighborhood robber doesn't have a gun, you will be prosecuted for manslaughter if you kill him. Not to mention firing a gun in your house puts everyone in danger. He says he stores all his guns in a safe, and keeps a bat next to his bed. Not selling my guns, but I'm in the market for a bat now.

I can see his points (Paradime's cousin) however as a gun owner in AUS which makes me a rare bird indeed and also as a friend who is a retired NZ Police Senior Sergeant said to me "better to be judged by 12 than carried out by six"  if one is proficient with their firearm/s and knows how to react without panicking then it's the better option.

Firing one round into the ceiling after the shots you fire at the intruders also helps as no ballistics test can tell you which round was fired into the ceiling and which was fired at the offender 1st.

The round in the ceiling was your warning shot   ;)

• Like 4

A gun is easier to swing in a hall than a bat and you have more stand off... in that you don't have to be within 4 feet of a knife.

A gun is faster than a bat and hits harder

A gun is visually much more persuasive than a bat.

Always take a gun to a knife fight.

A gun is impressively louder than a knife.

• Like 4

I can see his points (Paradime's cousin) however as a gun owner in AUS which makes me a rare bird indeed and also as a friend who is a retired NZ Police Senior Sergeant said to me "better to be judged by 12 than carried out by six"  if one is proficient with their firearm/s and knows how to react without panicking then it's the better option.

Firing one round into the ceiling after the shots you fire at the intruders also helps as no ballistics test can tell you which round was fired into the ceiling and which was fired at the offender 1st.

The round in the ceiling was your warning shot   ;)

I hear you VTR

My son's room is upstairs though. Honestly I am a shitty candidate to use a gun for home protection, because my vision is shit.

My cousin was referring to the statistical likelihood of success vs accident, I added the legal part. His job has nothing to do with firearms though. He's more on the nerdy side of DHS. He's scouting and funding R&D of high tech security and detection equipment in college laboratories. Kind of an academic PR person for the department.

• Like 1

I hear you VTR

My son's room is upstairs though. Honestly I am a shitty candidate to use a gun for home protection, because my vision is shit.

My cousin was referring to the statistical likelihood of success vs accident, I added the legal part. His job has nothing to do with firearms though. He's more on the nerdy side of DHS. He's scouting and funding R&D of high tech security and detection equipment in college laboratories. Kind of an academic PR person for the department.

So what you're really saying is he was, like so many people, just running his mouth without any real experience in the field. I get the accident idea, but with proper teaching of firearm safety there's an extremely low chance of your kid getting hurt or hurting someone. Teach the nra kids rules: if you see a gun where it shouldn't be, Stop!, don't touch, back away, tell a trustworthy adult. It works, I've set up my kid with a realistic airsoft, she did exactly as taught, didn't know she was being watched either. As a secondary, the fam knows to get low if there's an incident, greatly reducing chances of accidents. Having a firearm for home defense goes way beyond buying a roscoe and chucking it in a drawer, everyone in the house needs to know and adhere to a defense plan from what to do when a confrontation happens to when to head for help if necessary. Granted, if I need to pull a gun, chances are someone is in grave danger of a dirtnap being a baddie has to make it through a queensland healer, a rhodesian ridgeback, and 80lbs of American stafford before they have a chance at me or the family.

• Like 4