• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

It is come to pass that the current choices for president are garbage.

Though, the last I heard, no offense, but you Aussies have been neutered by the government taking your arms. Do you have a Constitution worth fighting for? Are you willing to die for it? I have been involved in city matters to make them change the local codes concerning firearms. I am not one to run away, I do not think I will be moving to Australia, the US is a good place to make a stand.

In spite of your gun laws and the constitution, here we are..... Clinton and Trump. I don't think they give a shit. Talk about neutered. So is it the cause or the cure? 'Cause I'm not seeing it.   

Though, the last I heard, no offense, but you Aussies have been neutered by the government taking your arms. Do you have a Constitution worth fighting for? Are you willing to die for it? I have been involved in city matters to make them change the local codes concerning firearms. I am not one to run away, I do not think I will be moving to Australia, the US is a good place to make a stand.

What we have is a damn good country and yes we would and did fight for it,when the Japanese came to take it.

All said if you want to stay in USA,no worries from this aussie about it.

• Like 1

I seen or heard something the other day about the kids of today, the next generation, and college, it basically was about how when these kids graduate there is not a job out there waiting for a good portion of them anymore, they have to be smart enough when they graduate to invent a job for themselves.

Yet college is so expensive now that even if they can find a job, they will be in debt for years if not decades, these politicians don't care about anything but themselves, and the honest ones don't run for re-election, they just want to get away from them criminals as fast as they can.

We need manufacturing jobs in this country, that is what made this country great, the way it's going...............................

Yup. If we are not producing more than we consume, we are going to fall.

Thanks Fetch, ummmm, nothing to add.

• Like 1

I seen or heard something the other day about the kids of today, the next generation, and college, it basically was about how when these kids graduate there is not a job out there waiting for a good portion of them anymore, they have to be smart enough when they graduate to invent a job for themselves.

Yet college is so expensive now that even if they can find a job, they will be in debt for years if not decades, these politicians don't care about anything but themselves, and the honest ones don't run for re-election, they just want to get away from them criminals as fast as they can.

We need manufacturing jobs in this country, that is what made this country great, the way it's going...............................

my wife has begged me to go back to college to finish my degree. I just paid my student loans off last November and hadn't borrowed since 1997. do I really want to go back in debt to get a degree for a job that no longer exists?

Aus also has more strict automobile laws than California!  We may have to pass emissions testing, but they don't do any kind of chassis/suspension inspections here :P

This true where RW, VTR stay?

240zness doesn't cut and run

• Like 1

This true where RW, VTR stay?

We have actually some of the most lax emissions testing and other requirements for registration,like in my home state of Queensland - no tests per annum at all for any car or vehicle.

So,no.

240zness doesn't cut and run

^ Respect.

Manufacturing jobs will not come back to the US.  The electronic goods we own, like your Iphone, if manufactured here will cost probably 3 times more.  There's a company in China called Foxconn and they manufacture anything electronics and their biggest customer is Apple. Foxconn has like 2 million assemblers.  They pay their workers like $15/day.  It's much cheaper to manufacture in China.

College students got to be much smarter today as far deciding to go to college, it cost way too much to get a BA or BS degree.  Now if you work at Starbucks, they will reimburse you but it's on line studies with Arizona State. Yep, student loans have surpassed credit card loans in the trillions and to make worse you have these diploma mills like Healed College that was force to recently close its doors because they were just ripping people off, specially the poor.  Not only that college loans are weighing down millienials but because of rising rents here in Silicon Valley, a lot are force to move back in with their folks. 

• Like 1

Manufacturing jobs will not come back to the US.  The electronic goods we own, like your Iphone, if manufactured here will cost probably 3 times more.  There's a company in China called Foxconn and they manufacture anything electronics and their biggest customer is Apple. Foxconn has like 2 million assemblers.  They pay their workers like $15/day.  It's much cheaper to manufacture in China.

College students got to be much smarter today as far deciding to go to college, it cost way too much to get a BA or BS degree.  Now if you work at Starbucks, they will reimburse you but it's on line studies with Arizona State. Yep, student loans have surpassed credit card loans in the trillions and to make worse you have these diploma mills like Healed College that was force to recently close its doors because they were just ripping people off, specially the poor.  Not only that college loans are weighing down millienials but because of rising rents here in Silicon Valley, a lot are force to move back in with their folks. 

This is the current bubble about to pop and drop a pile of economic shit on the tax payer.

I really think it started already because the student loan default rates for private colleges (Wyotech, Healed, etc) is much higher than let's say public colleges like a State system or a community colleges. 

By the way, foxconn has over 1 million assemblers and assembles or manufactures like 40% of todays electronics, specially cell phones.  This company is just one and there are more in China and other countries where companies get it done cheaper.  What I do see are high end manufacturing, like Medical Equipment or testing equipment that are being produce in the USA but that's about it.  I grew up in Silicon Valley and there were tons of jobs in the 70-80s, by the 90s the vast majority of these jobs were gone, as well as the fruit packing companies.

You can't really blame the politicians on this because the American consumer wants their electronic goodies to be cheap and companies like Apple has to stay competitive and make money so, of course, if they can cut their manufacturing cost down then they are saving tons of money, which means that their profit margin is much higher than if they manufacture their goods in the USA.  This is across the board...even customer service or call centers are overseas.  Had an issue with PayPal several years ago and guess where they are located, yep. the Philippines. Even American cars are affected.  Brakes are probably made in Mexico or seats, Batteries in China and so on.  Look at clothes, if you go to Walmart, and look at where their clothes are made, it will say China or Pakistan or other countries where its cheaper to mass produce.

They just need to make machine controls an app on a phone screen. Then the youth will be epic factory workers.

If they can learn basic manual machine tools, then the CNC manufacturing should be an extreme breeze for tech savvy kids. 

FIxture creation, product designs, and the more complex needs a little more education. 

BTW cost of manufacturing here or over in china has leveled out. China MFG's Require extreme lot order counts to get close to the savings companies want. China has also invested in the education of skilled labour to fill the roles in order to complete the requested products. Here in the state the message for the last 20 years has been to steer the young away from such skilled positions and enter college...

I think manufacturing will make another comeback here in the states. Once we have a pro-economic growth admin that could help with startup investments within the country. It happened in the 80's and the 90's, but seemed to tank once the trade treaty with China was in full swing at the start of the 2000's.

• Like 1

Even if manufacturing jobs come back to the USA, entry level manufacturing here in Silicon Valley don't make much.  This is why a lot of high schools push for college.  Now this is all relative because majoring in Liberal Arts vs. engineering, the engineer will always make more and has better prospects in securing meaningful employment.   When the average home in San Jose is 1 million dollars, how much would one need to make in order for them to afford a home?  On top of that millenials owe tons of money, mainly student loans, and because of their spending habits, they are not helping their cause. 

And not everyone can do CNC or would want to, that's just one option.  One of my tenants does machining and makes like $22/hr.  Here in the valley that's not enough. $22/hr is like $45K a year but his wife works as a receptionist and makes $16/hr.  In order for one to be able to afford rent and live in the valley, he/she needs to make at least $30/hr.  Now, if you have several kids and single then it's probably barely enough.

Now back in the 70s, in Silicon Valley, my parents bought their 4 bedroom house for like $25K, yes they did not make a lot of money but most people were able to afford houses and most companies paid for health care and had good retirement  system.  Plus, it was so easy to find manufacturing jobs, you did not need a high school diploma or college degree.  And if you had let's say an electronic tech certificate, you were able to secure good paying jobs.  The manufacturing jobs I see today are temp jobs with no benefits. 

What I do recommend for young people is to do a lot of soul searching and do some test as far as what kind of career they are interested in.  Let's face it most people don't really know what kind of career they want.  They don't do enough research and ask the right questions. 

• Like 1

Even if manufacturing jobs come back to the USA, entry level manufacturing here in Silicon Valley don't make much.  This is why a lot of high schools push for college.  Now this is all relative because majoring in Liberal Arts vs. engineering, the engineer will always make more and has better prospects in securing meaningful employment.   When the average home in San Jose is 1 million dollars, how much would one need to make in order for them to afford a home?  On top of that millenials owe tons of money, mainly student loans, and because of their spending habits, they are not helping their cause. 

And not everyone can do CNC or would want to, that's just one option.  One of my tenants does machining and makes like $22/hr.  Here in the valley that's not enough. $22/hr is like $45K a year but his wife works as a receptionist and makes $16/hr.  In order for one to be able to afford rent and live in the valley, he/she needs to make at least $30/hr.  Now, if you have several kids and single then it's probably barely enough.

Now back in the 70s, in Silicon Valley, my parents bought their 4 bedroom house for like $25K, yes they did not make a lot of money but most people were able to afford houses and most companies paid for health care and had good retirement  system.  Plus, it was so easy to find manufacturing jobs, you did not need a high school diploma or college degree.  And if you had let's say an electronic tech certificate, you were able to secure good paying jobs.  The manufacturing jobs I see today are temp jobs with no benefits. 

What I do recommend for young people is to do a lot of soul searching and do some test as far as what kind of career they are interested in.  Let's face it most people don't really know what kind of career they want.  They don't do enough research and ask the right questions. 

And why is it that they think that everyone needs to go to college?

Many of them are wasting other's time & money,or don't want to face reality,

& go out into the "Real World".

yep, agree, not everyone is meant to go to college.  Other alternative is vocational or trades or just plain old working your way up.  That's why I said that high schoolers need to do a lot of soul searching about their career choices and attending college.  It cost so much money these days that doesn't it make sense to seriously think about this venture before a parent or their children attend higher education.

Manufacturing usually relocates to an area of low cost of living. Generally these places offer local tax incentives to move in and provide work for the population. I know a lot of people who have taken other professions just because they didn't want to leave the home they grew up in. Things like this at times shape people's desire to migrate or stand pat. Good thing about manufacturing is its an on the job education system. So entry level may be $15.00 an hour but has the potential to grow upwards to $35-$45.00 an hour even in LCOL areas. The person has to have the desire to better their skill set within a company. From years of experience you don't see many people try to eccel. Instead they rely on cost of living increases. I had to terminate positions because of this type of work outlook. 

Right now there is a manufacturing boom going on in the midwest. Its also becoming the tech capital of the USA because of how much California has regulated itself into the most toxic manufacturing environment. Its been a slow exit though. If you have places like Texas offering relocation bonuses then it shouldn't take long to drain California and west coast states of all manufacturing forever. 

The places that pay this are usually the companies that make assembly line automation usually. The positions that pay $35.00-$40.00 an hour are top pay for cross trained machine abilities, Programming, and solid model creation ability. The more human skills you have the more a company is willing to pay to keep you. A person who comes in to be an operator and only stagnate will never achieve that value.