New idea for over heating problems when driving up hill or in hot weather.

I made a mister system to spray water on the front of the radiator

so when it gets hotter than normal in hot weather or going up hill

I flip a switch and a windshield washer pump comes on and water misters spray

about two gallons an hour on the radiator front and cools it down.

I have a shell on the back so I ran the supply hose to a 4 gallon tank

in the front corner of the bed. I use the tank for drinking water too.

it works great with no side affects ...

I guess it will work on any car I don't see a down fall

unless you let it run dry and try to make it up a hill in hot weather.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to tow a small two horse trailer, often with two horses all over the pacific northwest, with a 521.  Very occasionally, I would turn on the heater, when climbing a 6% grade, 2nd gear, about 5000 rpm, and the engine would not overheat, in 95 degree weather.  Higher than normal temp on the gauge, but not overheating.

If your Datsun engine overheats easily, I am going to suggest you may have some other issues.

• Like 4

I've seen guys do that for the intercooler on a turbo car at an auto X. That I think is a great idea. Cooling the air down before you take off with the petal to the floor.

But like the guys above said, And I guy I talked to that builds radiators. If your car runs at normal temp while driving, But not when sitting in traffic or climing a hill you have some other issues.

It shouldn't over heat. Either lack of air flow or lack of water flow... maybe a bit of each.

Does the cooling system loose water? Or does the rad push coolant out into the coolant recovery tank? This could be a sign of a failing head gasket

How does the rad look? Are the fins rotted and falling out between the vertical tubes?

Lack of air flow

Spin the clutch fan with finger. It should be firm to turn and stop turning as soon as your finger leaves the fan blade. If it spins by itself the special silicone fluid inside has leaked out.

Check rad for blockage of air such as bugs, leaves, dirt, plastic bags, fog lights.

Is the fan shroud still on? Has it been removed and not put back? The fan shroud increases the efficiency of the fan.

Lack of water flow

Rev the motor and look at lower rad hose. Does it collapse from water pump suction. A soft worn out hose will do this. A plugged rad can also.

Take rad cap off and drain out a half gallon of coolant and look at the tops of the vertical coolant tubes... are they clear of crusty hard water mineral deposits? This will block flow and prevent heat transfer.

They are cheap so just remove and replace the thermostat. Yours may not be opening properly.Don't be cheap spend $10 on a good one.

If full of hard water deposits also known as scale, remove rad and lay with the inlet/outlets up and fill with CLR to dissolve them over night.

Another factor causing overheating is the ignition timing being retarded.  If the timing is retarded, the piston is farther down in the cylinder as the fuel air mixture burns, and more cylinder walls are exposed, and the energy in the burning gas goes into the cooling system, instead of pushing the piston down.

Another factor causing overheating is the ignition timing being retarded.  If the timing is retarded, the piston is farther down in the cylinder as the fuel air mixture burns, and more cylinder walls are exposed, and the energy in the burning gas goes into the cooling system, instead of pushing the piston down.

The same goes for running lean, which can be compounded with significant elevation changes.

My engine don't over heat its that I like to keep it at 195.

I have had it like this for ten years and 156,000 miles and no engine trouble

I drive it in 110 degree heat in the summer and with the a/c on it gets warm sometimes like 210

going up hill. I removed the fan clutch so its a direct drive from the engine.

plus the misters help keep the condenser cool for the a/c so it don't have to work as hard and blows colder air.

I live in the Mojave desert so it gets hot as hell here .

Mistake.Put the fan clutch back on with a shroud.

Maybe my understanding of a fan clutch is incorrect, but wouldn't it truly only have an impact when the engine is warming up? Once it hits whatever temp and engages, the fan is going to be going off of the engine anyway, isn't it?

Forget the radiator man,, last time i went through Barstow California i wish i would have rigged up a slurpy machine to spray right on top of my fucking head .. That place is so hot the Satans moved closer to the coast a few years ago.

Mcgyver for sure this sounds like a temporary fix 

flush that motor and rod the radiator you shouldnt have to do the water spray to keep your motor cool 

but it is an interesting temporary fix 

The point is that if your system is working properly you don't need this. The rad should easily shed all the heat you're making and more.

The clutch fan has a fluid connection and when the motor tries to turn the fan faster than about 1,500 RPMs, it slips and remains constant. This saves engine power, reduces fan noise and the vehicle speed is more than enough to push air through the rad. Many new cars have electric fans that never come on on the highway and usually only when idled for a long time. There is a thermostatic valve than is warmed by the rad air. When it rises over a set amount the clutch allows more fluid in and increases the friction and the fan can speed up to 2,300 RPMs for added cooling.