4way v.s. roundabout

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I live close to two roundabouts in Clackamas county, in Oregon.  One is a mostly two lane roundabout, close to I-205.  Before the roundabout close to I-205 was installed, and was a four way stop, at rush hour, traffic on the more travelled road would back up sometimes an 1/8 to a 1/4 mile.

After the roundabout installation, no traffic backups.

When traffic is light, no stopping, most of the time you can go through without even having to downshift to first gear.  Common to stay in second, often can even stay in third, if only making a right turn.  This is with a 521, with a 4.375 axle ratio.

• Like 1

We have several 'new' round abouts near me. They are easy to use and I like them. I don't believe there have been any two car accidents in 7-8 years. Some idiot drove right through into the garden in the middle once but that's it.

A bicycle is a vehicle (although most idiots don't know this) same rules apply when operating a bicycle on the road and in a traffic circle. Vehicle (or bike) in the circle or on your left has control of the round about and the right of way. 

Pedestrians won't be on the round about. If crossing a road, there will be crosswalk paint marks and signs just like a normal road. Up to the driver to see and stop for them as usual.

• Like 1

if we could have voted whether they installed roundabouts in Tumwater and nearby cities i would have voted NO .

After living with them for quite a few years now i can say i was completely and utterly wrong..  Roundabouts especially in heavy use areas are the best things to move traffic.. ever!

I like the concept.  But I hate the implementation here.  They add them into intersections that are too small.  One lane roundabouts that are too small for our buss's to make the turn.  So they lowered the inner radius curb so low that a bus can just drive over it.  Solved right?  wrong.  Lowering a curb does not fix already lowered IQ's.  People are too stupid to understand the concept.  So then I have zero faith in the other drivers entering the roundabout (warranted), which is critical in the function of a roundabout.  

So in twenty years people will likely be fluent in roundabout logic and I will award them net-gain status.  Until then, I'm grumpy.  

And further, why are we implementing roundabouts from Europe when we could focus our energy on the metric system?   

We have several 'new' round abouts near me. They are easy to use and I like them. I don't believe there have been any two car accidents in 7-8 years. Some idiot drove right through into the garden in the middle once but that's it.

I like to straighten them out at speed. :D

:sneaky:

:D

• Like 1