Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone got smarts about chainsaws?  I need a new bar and cannot find a guaranteed replacement.  Craftsman does not make them any more.  

Basically, If I find a bar that has the right pitch, gauge and drive lengths and will mount, Could I just drill an oiling hole in the correct spot?

1 hour ago, bilzbobaggins said:

Anyone got smarts about chainsaws?  I need a new bar and cannot find a guaranteed replacement.  Craftsman does not make them any more.  

Basically, If I find a bar that has the right pitch, gauge and drive lengths and will mount, Could I just drill an oiling hole in the correct spot?

Poulan  has ben making craftsman chain saws for awhile now..  most parts will interchange ,, clutches ,  bars, chains , carburetors and ignitions

outer plastics and shit like that might be different . Engines assemblies in actual Poulans are sometimes heavier duty also . 

Edited by bananahamuck
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, ratpatrol66 said:

Oregon brand bars are made for damn near everything. The hard part is finding a hardware store with a good selection.

Or anybody that can answer whether it will work or not. I screwed up the tip of my bar on an Efco I had. After giving up with the box stores I found an old man working out of a container/shop that solely repaired chainsaws. He didn't even sell me a new bar. Actually changed just the roller tip by drilling out and replacing the rivets. Also whipping up a new chain from a bulk roll hanging on the wall all for about what a new bar would cost me. I have learned sometimes it is better just to have someone who deals with something every day to solve the problem. I get this isn't very helpful and I am naturally cheap and try to fix everything myself but I know I would have ended up with maybe the wrong bar and wasted driving trips trying to solve the problem.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Or anybody that can answer whether it will work or not. I screwed up the tip of my bar on an Efco I had. After giving up with the box stores I found an old man working out of a container/shop that solely repaired chainsaws. He didn't even sell me a new bar. Actually changed just the roller tip by drilling out and replacing the rivets. Also whipping up a new chain from a bulk roll hanging on the wall all for about what a new bar would cost me. I have learned sometimes it is better just to have someone who deals with something every day to solve the problem. I get this isn't very helpful and I am naturally cheap and try to fix everything myself but I know I would have ended up with maybe the wrong bar and wasted driving trips trying to solve the problem.

At some point in your life, you (hopefully) realize your time is more valuable than your money. 

• Like 2

Found a baby possum while fixing my brake lights. Our cats would surely have mauled him so I felt compelled to take him in. I don't believe in domesticating wild animals so I think I'll bring him somewhere a possum could live a good life. He's so young tho. This is tough.

IMG_20240307_013243659.jpg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Foxhound said:

Found a baby possum while fixing my brake lights. Our cats would surely have mauled him so I felt compelled to take him in. I don't believe in domesticating wild animals so I think I'll bring him somewhere a possum could live a good life. He's so young tho. This is tough.

IMG_20240307_013243659.jpg

Is it eating? They love beetles and then you can wean them to wet cat food. I raised one until I think it was the 7 inch body size until they can make it on thier own. Realistically they are just large rats but I like animals a lot better than people so I am glad you are helping this one out.

• Like 2

I've learned to put up with people a lot more since retiring, some I actually like. Mostly because they are doing what I am, out for a walk in the morning. Won't step on ants and worms, spiders I shoo away or take outside, I often carry some nibbles for dogs I meet. I have 6 cats to look after but I don't live in my mom's basement.

• Haha 1
52 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

spiders I shoo away or take outside

Not me. I love spiders. They specialize in killing mosquitoes. 😁

53 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I have 6 cats to look after but I don't live in my mom's basement.

You  made your mom move to the basement?!? That's just sad...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I've learned to put up with people a lot more since retiring, some I actually like. Mostly because they are doing what I am, out for a walk in the morning. Won't step on ants and worms, spiders I shoo away or take outside, I often carry some nibbles for dogs I meet. I have 6 cats to look after but I don't live in my mom's basement.

So you are out as a crazy cat guy. OK I can except that.

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Is it eating? They love beetles and then you can wean them to wet cat food. I raised one until I think it was the 7 inch body size until they can make it on thier own. Realistically they are just large rats but I like animals a lot better than people so I am glad you are helping this one out.

Ya hes been munchin on hydrated cat food and other little treats. I forgot we have a bug zapper that collects everything it zaps. That should be a buffet for him. I don't particularly trust pet food companies. With the shit these corps are willing to put in human food I can only imagine wtf is put in animal foods. I feel bad for pets, particularly dogs, that have to eat the same dry garbage day after day after day, ad nauseam. Not all pet owners are like that, but I assume the majority are. At least outdoor cats can hunt and get their freedom. I agree, people are low on my tier list for a lot of traits.

4 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Not me. I love spiders. They specialize in killing mosquitoes. 😁

You  made your mom move to the basement?!? That's just sad...

I like spiders too. I could just squash them but I let them alone. Lots of spiders out here in the fall if you are working in the woods. You have to walk through their webs and they crawl all over your face, hang from your cap, so many I stopped noticing.  

No... my wife 'collected' them. She's the 'Crazy Cat Lady' and gets to enjoy them while I clean the litter up, feed them and brush* them. They really are pretty low maintenance 18 hrs. napping, 1 hr total for eating, 3 hrs. chasing each other and being dicks or shit claws, 2 hrs. grooming and staring at you.  

* only reason for brushing them is fewer dust bunnies and hair-balls barfs.

We don't let them outdoors. Rough on the wildlife but rougher on them. They bring home fleas and worms. f that.

• Like 1

IMG_6510.thumb.jpeg.dbb392d290c380ea18105800abfc2890.jpeg

Woke up one morning with at least 9 police cars in my driveway yelling at my sons Cressida because the brake light switch stuck on .. at 3:30am .. sparkling blue lights a blazing .. Thinking someone was inside car..

“apparently” , 73 year old neighbor Linda was firing her pistol at a opossum in her chicken coupe.. And neighbors across road called cops . 

. The Things the size of a English Bulldog 

Edited by bananahamuck
  • Haha 1

Years ago I got home and saw my Golden Retriever chewing on something. Went in for a closer look and it was an opossum, I thought it was dead?  When I say chewing I mean gnawing (its skull) like chewing on a bone.  I got my dog in the house and went back to beery it, well the damn thing was gone? 

On 3/5/2024 at 10:54 PM, bananahamuck said:

Poulan  has ben making craftsman chain saws for awhile now..  most parts will interchange ,, clutches ,  bars, chains , carburetors and ignitions

outer plastics and shit like that might be different . Engines assemblies in actual Poulans are sometimes heavier duty also . 

I found a poulan aftermarket bar after I posted this that looks the same with all the right stats.  It will be here later today.

• Like 2
On 3/6/2024 at 2:55 AM, ratpatrol66 said:

Oregon brand bars are made for damn near everything. The hard part is finding a hardware store with a good selection.

I found one oregon kit that claimed it would work but the drive link count was two extra.  I guess the roller on the end could be larger with the right amount of teeth to deem this workable.