What are you reading? The book thread.

Well sense me and my generation are kinda stupid, I hate reading books....that have no pictures..

But i finished the last "Import Tuner" Magazine and in the middle of "Hot Rod" Magazine. Pictures for the win!!!!!!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well sense me and my generation are kinda stupid, I hate reading books....that have no pictures..

But i finished the last "Import Tuner" Magazine and in the middle of "Hot Rod" Magazine. Pictures for the win!!!!!!

since ;)

Reading creates pictures in the mind that are much more brilliant than any photo could ever represent. This is one of the problems with turning a book into a movie.

Some other good books I've read in the past, a few pulp sci-fi style...

Mindhopper (still one of my favorites)

Johnny Zed

USSA (kind of a teen book but still good)

Recently finished Friday by Heinlein. Even though I've been a fan of his work (Starship Troopers) I only recently started reading his books. Stranger in a Strange land was excellent, not sure how I missed his stuff when I was a younger reader. I plan to pick up a few more of his books including Starship Troopers.

The Stand is an great read, but I like his Richard Bachman stuff just as much. The Running Man (the movie fucked that all up) and The Walk are some seriously dark stories.

I hardly ever read any kind of sci-fi or fantasy type books. Right now I'm reading The Hemi in the Barn. Already read the cobra and have the corvette one lined up next. Also reading Four Years with General Lee. (Not the car) I mostly read autobiographies and historical books. Don't like embellished historicals though. I've read all of Michael J. Fox's books so I guess he's my favorite author

Keep seeing Cobra in the barn at the 1/2 price bookstore.  Think I will grab it the next time I see it.  That is also where I get all my car manuals as well.  I have picked up several of the 1st print copies of the Haynes manual for the celica for 5 bucks. 

Currently reading A Feast for Crows. I almost exclusively read Sci Fi and Fantasy, but I'll read other genres on occasion. For instance, one of my favorite books is The Stand by Steven King, and I'm not a horror fan at all. The Stand isn't really horror anyway, but I have read some of his horror works as well.

My favorite authors include Orson Scott Card, Terry Pratchett, Greg Bear, and Larry Niven (particularly the Larry Liven/Jerry Pournelle collaborations). Favorite dead authors include Robert Heinlein and Douglas Adams. I have extensive collections of Piers Anthony and Star Trek novels (though haven't really bought many of those in the last 10 years, mainly due to those being at a middle-school level of complexity).

Pournelle/Niven (isn't Niven a theoretical physicist?) Niven wrote Ringworld and one of my favorite novels World out of Time previously in serial form in a si-fi mag as Rammer. Also Inferno, (a tip of the hat to Dante Alighieri) Lucifer's Hammer and Neutron Star. Have read all the Man Kizen War novels.

I don't know of any ERB novels other than westerns that I haven't read, (as a kid) all Tarzan, John Carter, Carson of Venus, The Moon Maid, Pellucidar..........

Most Clive Cussler untill he started farming it out to others.

Not a horror fan but did read Deloris Claiborne?

Anyone ever read any John Norman????? Tarnsman Of Gor??? Slave Girl Of Gor etc..... :)

Blood Money.

Aussie biography on Middle Eastern crime groups infiltrating Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs.

Last two books were Pitcairn, paradise lost. About the rape trials and subsuquent incarceration of some of the islands inbreds.

Before this, IBM and the holocaust. Fasciniating story how the company which became IBM supplied the Nazi regime with punch card technology during the second world war. Story centres around the punch card technology being used for Census purposes, and subsuquently identifying Jewish members of the population for the Final Solution.

No real favorite author per se, used to like early Clive Cussler (Dirk Pitt) for a bit of escapism, but he lost me when he started writing with other authors.

• 4 months later...

A pox on Steven King, Clive Cussler, Brian Herbert, Tom Clancy (and others) for allowing a co-author to write for you. It's like buying a Pontiac and finding a 283 Chev engine in it. I'll never buy your 'stuff'.

Just finished Shanghai a novel set in the city of the same name the closing days or WW2 and Ringworld by Niven. Almost finished the sequel The Ringworld Engineers.

I used to read a lot, I have read a lot of the authors mentioned from the first american series(William Sarabande), to some of the Dirk books,Piers Anthony, and both Steven King(The Stand), Robert R. McCammon(Swan Song), Clive Cussler, Jean M Auel(all of them back then), I actually liked the L. Ron Hubbard book "Battlefield Earth", but there was a series he wrote that went down hill fast, very fast.

I also like science fiction, I read every book Annie McCaffrey ever wrote, most my favorites were of the "Dragonriders of Pern", I actually have about every book she ever wrote, including two signed by her.

I quit for a couple reasons, I used to read during my lunch, but since I work very hard, I have no acid in my stomach to digest food when I sit down to eat, so I would get heart burn for about 15 to 20 minutes, it makes me feel really bad, so I stopped eating lunch, I have no problem eating lunch when not working, and the other reason was my eyes, it got to the point that I started to need reading glasses to read, so I gave up reading for pleasure. :(

I have read most the books that were made into movies back in the day, the books were way better.

I used to read a lot, I have read a lot of the authors mentioned from the first american series(William Sarabande), to some of the Dirk books,Piers Anthony, and both Steven King(The Stand), Robert R. McCammon(Swan Song), Clive Cussler, Jean M Auel(all of them back then), I actually liked the L. Ron Hubbard book "Battlefield Earth", but there was a series he wrote that went down hill fast, very fast.

I also like science fiction, I read every book Annie McCaffrey ever wrote, most my favorites were of the "Dragonriders of Pern", I actually have about every book she ever wrote, including two signed by her.

I quit for a couple reasons, I used to read during my lunch, but since I work very hard, I have no acid in my stomach to digest food when I sit down to eat, so I would get heart burn for about 15 to 20 minutes, it makes me feel really bad, so I stopped eating lunch, I have no problem eating lunch when not working, and the other reason was my eyes, it got to the point that I started to need reading glasses to read, so I gave up reading for pleasure. :(

I have read most the books that were made into movies back in the day, the books were way better.

I keep an open novel by the shitter. Read many a novel 1 or 2 pages at a time. Seriously, you have to be there anyway, relax... it's easier and more pleasurable on both ends, you might learn something during this down time.

• Like 1

Read tGoT and wasnt a huge fan. Currently rereading The Prince of nothng/Warrior prophet series by R. Scott Bakkar. Great reads but are on the nerdy side. Another awesome series is the  Hyperion and Endymion 4 book series. Still nerdy but every book is freaking amazing. Also just started L.A. Son by Roy Choi. Its a biography/cookbook of the famous foodcart chef Roy Choi.