Y Datsun ? ( take two )

About 45 years ago I sat In a car, today I drive that car a 67 RL 411 SSS , I call her.... NO THING  . I never looked at many of them twice and it's fair to say I don't know JACK SHIT ABOUT JAP SHIT. At times I don't know if I want to, I still drive my high school car a 64 SS Nova and the owners manual on the kitty says not to exceed 120 mph when you have studded tires on all four tires. I saved for about fifteen years before I paid for my Harley Davidson I call her the ...WAR PONY. The big boat cost more money than my house but the small boat.....O HUTCH,  i'll never sell. The 2 stroke kawaski will rip your arms out if your not carefull I bought new in 1974 . For me Datsuns are,,,,well worth the time and a good bench mark of a time when Americans were looking the other way car wise, and before they got blindsided by somthing other than the big three. The value is not in the price, quality, or reliability, its more about where you are, were or when  you were, out Datsuning.

Thanks for your insite on the other post......... If I came across as a dick that wasen't my intent. ... if I sounded like a small dick thats is your opion.............. But i will guarantee you this I have pushed that thing 4 inches at a time for over seven miles and the reliability is still there. Thank god it just doesen't get pushed in the back seat of a 4 door 710 anymore.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try and add a serious comment to this.

Why Datsun? I was raised in one. Growing up, my dad had a 620 pickup. Due to the obvious small size, my dad rigged up some secure child seats in the bed with a sealed shell (I was like 2 or 3 at the time). I thought the truck was cool, even as a very small child. Over the years we've had a 710, 2 Z's and I've been rocking a 240sx as well.

Plus owning a '72 allows my to give the finger to the California smog Nazis.

Datsuns were the underdogs back in the days and even won SCCA as a beginner.  The 510s , in my opinion, was ahead of its time with their IRS, OHC engine and just a little neat car with excellent lines.  Most of the time, it's easy to work on. I still remember that people use to make fun of Datsuns in the 70s then the gas crunch and all of sudden people wanted a Datsun and other imports. I also think they have proven themselves against the big 3 and other imports that they can hold their own.  Importantly, most of the Datsuns I like are 75 and below and will not have to deal with smog cert. in Calif.

Fishing's cool, fuck golf. ;) I quote throttle jockey: because all golf courses should be motocross tracks!

53A486B2-434E-42D3-8988-2234F8EA982D-261

What sealed the deal for me when I was a kid was riding powerline trails in a '75 2wd 620, accompanied by a k5 blazer and an f150. Both of those lifted with 33+ inch tires and watching them get stuck. L20b took a thrashing and gave no fucks. Later that year we were rearended by a drunk driver that didn't check up doing about 45. We drove it home. The other guy went to the hospital. It's the unbelievable durability, versatility, simpleness, and fun factor that has solidified the fact that at least 1 will always remain in my stable. Because it's a fuckin' Datsun!

I bought a brand new '76 B-210 because the big 3 gave us Vegas and Pintos which were absolute POS. And I bought that because a year previous I had bought a $50 510 and was so impressed with it. Later I had a 521 and the guy in the Jeep took 5 tries to get up the hill I was on to ask how'd you do that????

I bought a brand new '76 B-210 because the big 3 gave us Vegas and Pintos which were absolute POS. And I bought that because a year previous I had bought a $50 510 and was so impressed with it. Later I had a 521 and the guy in the Jeep took 5 tries to get up the hill I was on to ask how'd you do that????

As a "who cares", the Vega's problems were due to the accountants insistence that a stainless steel head gasket would cost too much.  Follow up, GM sold their Vega Aluminum/Silicon nodule engine block technology to Porche who knew what to do with it!

Looks like a " For Sale " add. Let me know if you want to get rid of your ride,  :)

About 45 years ago I sat In a car, today I drive that car a 67 RL 411 SSS , I call her.... NO THING  . I never looked at many of them twice and it's fair to say I don't know JACK SHIT ABOUT JAP SHIT. At times I don't know if I want to, I still drive my high school car a 64 SS Nova and the owners manual on the kitty says not to exceed 120 mph when you have studded tires on all four tires. I saved for about fifteen years before I paid for my Harley Davidson I call her the ...WAR PONY. The big boat cost more money than my house but the small boat.....O HUTCH,  i'll never sell. The 2 stroke kawaski will rip your arms out if your not carefull I bought new in 1974 . For me Datsuns are,,,,well worth the time and a good bench mark of a time when Americans were looking the other way car wise, and before they got blindsided by somthing other than the big three. The value is not in the price, quality, or reliability, its more about where you are, were or when  you were, out Datsuning.

Thanks for your insite on the other post......... If I came across as a dick that wasen't my intent. ... if I sounded like a small dick thats is your opion.............. But i will guarantee you this I have pushed that thing 4 inches at a time for over seven miles and the reliability is still there. Thank god it just doesen't get pushed in the back seat of a 4 door 710 anymore.

Vegas, Pintos, gremlins, Monzas were Americans attempt to compete in an auto market that was becoming econoboxes and no matter what they did, the Japanese was already ahead because of their minituriation culture and this was already apparent in electronics, cameras and so on.  Our manufacturing was not used to making things small...we were into the very big V-8s and station wagons that guzzled gas.

The only imports I like in 70s was the Capri and Dodge colt but this was Mitsubishi and the Capri was German.

You and me showing our age..yeh, had a 240z, 76 capri and an old honda forgot the year but 70s..

Back in the early 70's if I were shopping for something Made In Japan - what were the choices?

Honda sells well now, but back then ... this was their sports coupe

Hemmings_honda.jpg

Toyota did better offering us the Celica

ty1972celica01.jpg

Mazda had some performance, but Wankel's never caught on

5070530.001.Mini7L.jpg

Sure there were other Japanese car makers, but none offered anything like DATSUN

3676.jpg

YEP - I was around back then, and I can still remember the choices we had.