Got camper shells for your Datsun truck? Lemme see em!

Hey gentlerats,

I been thinking about a camper shell for my truck. I wanna pimp out the inside so I can sleep in my truck if need be. I'm not really interested in new shells unless they look vintage. I'd really like to hear what brands are our there that would look good on my 1969 521.

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i had the same one on my 78 620 but without the little circle window. great to keep stuff safe and dry, and you could still see pretty good with the slider windows on the side. i had a hard time finding a newer one that would fit, and a couple shell places like campway or whatever, told me good luck, either custom make something or find a used one. so that's what i did, i got lucky and found one on CL that came off another 620 that was being sold and new buyer didn't want the shell.

man i wish i still had that truck. :crying:

DSCN4061.jpg

Some guy at the pub in Raleigh Hills. trippy no?

Look at this thing! This was what dealers were putting on trucks and selling them as mini-rv s off their lots in the early '70s. If you have space and access to some tools, it wouldn't bee that hard to build a leak proof camper. But making it look good or really cool, is something else again. There are a bunch of ways to construct a shell too. Making it light is at the top of the design sheet.

CPs2206.jpg

This was my first camper a Perris Valley. Windwos had screens and opened, little vent door on top and a swinging door in back not tailgate. It was great for what it was weight wise, but it had a bunch of drag at freeway speed. Had a ton of sex in this one.

Here is sum guy parked on Water Street in Poortland. I think this was hand made, pretty nize.

P1010215.jpg

Not having to climb over a tailgate is good... not having a tailgate to sit on is... well you gotta carry lawn chairs. I bet there has been sex in this thing. Kinda sexy there with the chrome and flares, little bumble bee strip...

luggga dis poor fugger, in a tow yard with a nasty dog. A Perris Valley, the wrong size, so they made an extension... that iz Ratsun as hell. Hey baby want to get in the back of of my truck??

Datsunintowyard.jpg

Here is the unfriendly Datsun owners truck that is parked by me all the time. Guy doesn't do confuters... confutin' machines. If he wasn't such a dick I would ask him where he got the shell cuz it is pretty nice.

When I painted my truck and took the hooks off etc., I thought I would skip on down to the Camper Shell World, swallow hard and buy a new shell for a grand. Ha, ha. Shells are expensive as hell! And there are no fiberglass shells that fit a 620 bed right now. Period. This has got to be custom made. Preddy nize for whut it iz. 

Datsun2.jpg

So here is figbuck620 camper shell that I bought in 1980 for $400.

RoadTrip226.jpg

I almost put a free ad on craigslist to get someone to take it away so I could have the room! The is a saying here in Oregun: It is what it is.

IT needs a lot of work but if you can find some kind of fiberglass shell like this cheap... get it and fix it. I looked for a long time and never really got lucky at all. It's a weird size.

Eventually... yeah the dream right? Eventually, because I'm basically and optimistic person, I want to take it to a boat repair guy to erase the windows and put in new high quality tinted RV windows. I would love to erase them completely because it would look cool as hell... but in the real world, it is a pain in the butt and dangerous to have that blind spot. Need some ventilation if it is hot and you are sleeping in there, screens to keep bug out. I'd get smaller windows with black frames and move them to the back where you need to see out.

It is light weight, really strong, little drag on the road and not bad in side winds. Always dry. The best thing is that it has a neoprene boot that bumps up against the bottom of the drip rail at the roof of the cab. I have a slider in the back of the cab so I can reach into the bed, to get to a cooler or bags whatever. Can haul a ten foot board inside out of the rain in a pinch.

There don't seem to be any new camper shells that have a pass through boot kind of thing. The closest is, slider windows on each. Anyway the dream is to get it repaired, refinished and the color of the truck. Maybe install a dome light, make it lock from the inside, now that you can't open the tailgate from the outside!

Stockland was the mgf. Somebody bought the company or the name or both and they make products for tanneau covers and color matched shells for new trucks... but, Datsun, what's that?  If you can find one of these Stockland shells... it would be way worth restoring. There were 3 or 4 models if I remember right. I used to see them around all the time, but I have seen another one of these in 20 years...

how about you SoCal guys? Ever see any of these around amy more? 

RoadTrip225.jpg

• Like 3

There are ones very similar I see on Craigslist since I been searching. I'd really like to find that one with bubble windows. I love how everyone always says to me that something is impossible to find, then I always end up finding it! People just don't try hard enough to look. All the better for me. Anyways figbuck, thanks a million for all the cool pictures and information!

• 1 year later...

Just got this one. 1972 Perris Valley. Having a bit of trouble trying to get it the back door section ligned up with the bed and shell. Anyone have experience with this model?

516051AA-CF81-4E78-8800-A332BE9C6AF4_zps

7B381D17-263C-4E8A-B02C-E4D2C5258079_zps

29335EC7-410E-4F97-B525-6CCF8E7B49B2_zps

I know I have to take the tailgate off but I don't think that's causing the issue.

Mocking it up

BC2416D1-D107-48C9-9EB4-E7019853F773_zps

• Like 2
  • 9 months later...

Camper shells rock, man! You really have to do your homework and check out all the possible options, looks and styles, online to make a really good decision. It almost makes or breaks a truck. It either gives it a really nice look that makes one desire that truck, or makes one turn around and look away while laughing. Lol. I think that whether vintage or modern, looks can compliment a truck or the shell can take away from the looks of it- with a crappy shell.

Yesterday I stripped a camper shell for a Toyota of all it's windows to have as spares because I know they're becoming hard to find.

I seen this thread today and smiled. Lol