1200 SS aka The Baby Nova

jb1200

If no one gets the v8 in a small car look at the shelby ac cobra it makes sense to me.

i said this earlier yes basic rule  of hotrodding is big engine little car but the next basic rule is lighter is better with the technology available today you have get similar hp and tq figures from a much smaller engine this is why i continue to stand by the point that a different engine such as an sr ks or vg would be a better choice they are no where near as heavy but able to offer the same performance and you dont have to butcher the car and do anywhere near the fab work  fast car on a smaller budget have you looked at the costs of building a 350?

• Like 1
  • Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i said this earlier yes basic rule of hotrodding is big engine little car but the next basic rule is lighter is better with the technology available today you have get similar hp and tq figures from a much smaller engine this is why i continue to stand by the point that a different engine such as an sr ks or vg would be a better choice they are no where near as heavy but able to offer the same performance and you dont have to butcher the car and do anywhere near the fab work fast car on a smaller budget have you looked at the costs of building a 350?

Yeah I have looked into every engine cost there is to look at. All of the 4 banger option would have been great but they have been done time after time after time. You see the sbc v8 is different in its own way and you haven't see dozens of they on the Internet plus this project is paving way for a surprise later later on that I have in store. I'm an individual that likes to think outside box and just because a sbc 307 is going in doesn't mean it's going stay in there. This is just for the foundation upgrades will come my friend.

Why did you toss the Ford 9" idea?

I talked to this shop in Sunny Valley today that specializes in custom rear ends called Hoopers. They will be doing all the work for me and told me for my application and intended use the z28 will hold up perfect. Plus with everything already on it like disc brakes and LSD it just comes out cheaper.

i said this earlier yes basic rule  of hotrodding is big engine little car but the next basic rule is lighter is better with the technology available today you have get similar hp and tq figures from a much smaller engine this is why i continue to stand by the point that a different engine such as an sr ks or vg would be a better choice they are no where near as heavy but able to offer the same performance and you dont have to butcher the car and do anywhere near the fab work  fast car on a smaller budget have you looked at the costs of building a 350?

Great points!!! I think what is happening here is the combining of old fashioned hot rod techniques traditionally relegated to say: putting a smallblock Chevy in an old Ford Anglia, or other similar swap. The trouble here is that we are taking heavy components, suspension, rear axle etc. from a vehicle that is at least twice the weight, and try to make a package out of it. The Datsun 1200 was a little car built with very thin metal with economy in mind, and like you said, it would be much happier with a lighter engine and drivetrain, and would love the corners as well as the 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile dash. A Datto 1200 built this way would have "balance", something a nose-heavy beast with a 500+lb lump under the hood would not. Again, no disrespect to the person who wants something "different", but sometimes one has to draw the line.

I talked to this shop in Sunny Valley today that specializes in custom rear ends called Hoopers. They will be doing all the work for me and told me for my application and intended use the z28 will hold up perfect. Plus with everything already on it like disc brakes and LSD it just comes out cheaper.

There is an old saying: "Sometimes cheap can get very expensive". You will be losing the drop-out carrier feature of the Ford 9". Cutting corners on the strength of a differential will bug you in the future as you "surprise" us with a big fire breathing engine up front, and it's rearend loses it's lunch in the middle of the street/or freeway.

I'm not knocking the 7.5" at all. I have one in my Cutlass and it's fine but it's also not ideal. My mighty 140hp 305 probably won't ever hurt it. One other thing to consider though, is that it uses a C-clip style axle. That's not the safest design and will increase the cost a couple hundred more dollars to do the eliminator kit. Also, some tracks won't allow C-clip axles. Something to think about.

He hasn't said anything about tubbing the rear wheel wells ProStreet style. Without knowing what type and size tire aka how much traction he will have we are only guessing on the rearend needs.

The last time I talked to him (John) about a rearend choice, It was a Ford 9" 3.00 with a 21.9" diameter tire (yes, 21.9" diameter) I also believe that no wheel flares, but tubs, would be employed. It also had to be able to cruise at 85 MPH on California highways at under 2000 RPM. A 3.00 gear with the T-56 .50 O/D would give him under 2000 RPM @ 85 MPH with a 21.9" diameter tire.

Trust me the math will be done two three times before I cut

There is a "really neat project" that is listed on RATSUN, under "Ratsun Forums → Datsun Discussion → Cars → 1200", which is the same category that your "SBC 307 Datsun 1200" was listed in before it was locked, when you were challenged to make your car a "build", and place it in the "Ratsun Forums → General → Project Datto" section. The "really neat project" name is "100% B110 Restoration Project" built from September 2008 to August 2009. The car was rebuilt by a Portuguese guy name Mario, and a guy named Vitorino. Here is the project's thread:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/6091-100-b110-restoration-project/

This is an in-progress restoration, and very much a "project". I realize that this particular thread sets the bar pretty high, and may seem unfair and there are two guys, not one, doing the restoration, but us folks here on RATSUN are into UPDATES, PROGRESS, and PICTURES on build threads. Can you help us get "into" your project? :)

That's one of the best build threads that ratsun has ever had. It's amazing how much actual work got done in 8 pages.

It also took only 11 months, mainly because of a solid plan of progression with a realistic goal in mind. Mario was constantly thanking the individuals of Ratsun for their input.

If you guys want pics...then pics you will get. But just remember I'm one guy that has a full time job and goes to school full time. I work on the car Friday nights and the weekends. I really appreciate all the input that Ratsun is giving me. Please be patient with me.

• Like 1

I have no idea whats going on in this thread since these arent really my thing, but I was told to cross-post this in here from Insomniacs:

Hopefully there arent 47 threads that pop up over this car, but here are a few pictures:

B110_7261.jpg

B110_7391.jpg

B110_7608.jpg

More info and images here: http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/02/an-8-second-800-whp-datsun-b110/

So far, 10 pages of talk but almost no action.

...and another 3 here  http://community.ratsun.net/topic/51552-sbc-307-datsun-1200/

All projects sometimes languish. Lack of interest, funds, parts, family, work, change of direction...

OP posts started out at about 50% dropping quickly  to 12% with page 8 and 10 at 6%. 57 posts out of 200. All the rest  (143) were others making comments, suggestions or other. Maybe don't post here until there are updates.