1200 SS aka The Baby Nova

jb1200

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i wonder if nova guys would get bent if i shortened one ,  narrowed one,  applied some poke and stretch and a sr20 det.......that 1200 was sexy.....not hating i just never understood the, hey im gonna take this and make it into this ....why not just make a nova...i think bonvo linked the worlds saddest 610 build on ratsun somewhere...lotsa nice work in here .... just not my direction ... but i can appreciate your zeal to attempt it..

by the way any fabricators out there ... that horton welders series stuff is the cats meow when it comes to inexpensive alternatives ......i love that u still get to do alot of work all while saving a buck...

a tremec 6 sp and a WHAT,  a 307?????....thats like buying a zo6 then going and putting all terrain tires on the second day u own it..

...i get the whole set up to swap it out later thing but seriously that smoking 13b could pull a 307....are those wheels available(although after reading the speedo costs 250 to buy  im afraid to ask how much for the wheels...)

did someone say a few pages pack and called a cummins a "come apart" or something trying to be funny....well i dont know what diesel shit u know but pretty sure both ford and chevy have failed trying to keep up...but there again there building different diesels,  just not well....Please dont say your lbz or power joke would out perform a coffee can pistoned inline six.....theres no comparison....

by the way any fabricators out there ... that horton welders series stuff is the cats meow when it comes to inexpensive alternatives ......i love that u still get to do alot of work all while saving a buck...

a tremec 6 sp and a WHAT,  a 307?????....thats like buying a zo6 then going and putting all terrain tires on the second day u own it..

...i get the whole set up to swap it out later thing but seriously that smoking 13b could pull a 307....are those wheels available(although after reading the speedo costs 250 to buy  im afraid to ask how much for the wheels...)

did someone say a few pages pack and called a cummins a "come apart" or something trying to be funny....well i dont know what diesel shit u know but pretty sure both ford and chevy have failed trying to keep up...but there again there building different diesels,  just not well....Please dont say your lbz or power joke would out perform a coffee can pistoned inline six.....theres no comparison....

Maybe something like this? (just keepin' it in the family):

i wonder if nova guys would get bent if i shortened one ,  narrowed one,  applied some poke and stretch and a sr20 det.......that 1200 was sexy.....not hating i just never understood the, hey im gonna take this and make it into this ....why not just make a nova...i think bonvo linked the worlds saddest 610 build on ratsun somewhere...lotsa nice work in here .... just not my direction ... but i can appreciate your zeal to attempt it..

Scary, ain't it?  ...but to each his own

in all honestly i think he wants to do something like this

but not with a 13b

Ya think? Nah  I think he wants a "1200 SS aka The Baby Nova". It doesn't take too many smarts to sit there bouncing off the rev limiter and destroy the poor rubber tree's spawn. He wants to do what many rodders do, put a big engine in a little car. Once he gets it together, he's got up to 400 stock cubes available on the stock mounts. If a guy/or gal wants torque, a stock KA from a pickup is surprising quick, JMHO

If no one gets the v8 in a small car look at the shelby ac cobra it makes sense to me.

When they first built the AC Cobra for production, it had a 260 replacing the AC Bristol inline six, at least doubling the horsepower. When they went to the 289, no problem, but when they went to the 427, it became nose heavy, and they had to widen the fenders to handle the larger tires for throwing all that extra weight around, not to mention to get the extra torque to the ground. In the original,the smallblock Ford set back almost behind the front tires, along with the independent rearend, made a pretty well-balanced car.

That is probably good insurance going to the 31 spline. If you run tubs and a wide tire it will be very good to have, especially if you upgrade to a stroker/larger engine. Most of the 31 spline units came in trucks, and the hypo big block full-size Ford cars. 

Well I found two different rear ends 1, coming from a 1996 Z28, 3.42 gears, LSD and disc brakes. 2, coming from a 1995 Z28, 3.23 gears, LSD and disc brakes.

Well I found two different rear ends 1, coming from a 1996 Z28, 3.42 gears, LSD and disc brakes. 2, coming from a 1995 Z28, 3.23 gears, LSD and disc brakes.

Whoa, I thought that you were looking for a 9" Henry dropout with a 3.00 ratio? Did you change your plans? If you want Government Motors stuff, they put an 8"+ unit in some blazers with the H.O. 4.3 V-6. You really need to decide what you want to do, make a plan, and stick to it.

The only rearends I have seen under a 1200 that will hold up to a V8 all had to be narrowed to fit. There are early H190 rearends that will fit like from a 411 but no modern LSD / Posi units available that I have heard of.

If you are not running a really sticky tire like a drag slick you should spin the tires before you break any thing with something like a GM or Ford 7.5.  Ford 9" is one of the heaviest car rearends you could choose. If you go the 9" route you can get a aluminum carrier when budget allows.

V8 Vega's were popular when I was in HS and they lasted longer without good traction. Once the rear tires hooked up with any real power the windshield popped out from body twist.

• Like 1

Hot Rod Magazine ran an article about a Chevette called "The Bad Seed" a few years back that ran a Caddy 500 V8, and it used a Ford 8" with no problems that I ever heard of. I have never had an 8" break, and I've used them in several engine conversions over the years.

Im very moviated at this point right now, plus if I put my timeframe out to long I will just end up push it to the right. So this way I push myself and if I end up needing more time its ok.

Looks like it could take longer than three months. 

Hey everybody I have been sad for the last four days, that's why you haven't seen any process on project. But I'm healthy now and able to continue back working. The goal for this weekend is to get the engine and tranny fitted in the car so I can weld the mounts in and weld up the tranny tunnel, also I will be pulling a rear end out of the junkyard this week. Please stay tuned, you won't be disappointed.

"I will be pulling a rear end out of the junkyard this week."

What rearend assembly did you finally decide on? 

I decided to go with the z28 rear end. If it can handle a LT1, I think it can handle the SBC 307 easily.

Still wouldn't be my first choice but it should be fine behind the 307.  Actually, the stock rear end would probably live behind a 307 ^_^ .

If you're using an Fbody rear end, be aware that there is a 10 bolt GM corporate and a 9 bolt Borg Warner (AKA Aussie) version.  They look very similar.  The Australian is actually slightly stronger but has very limited aftermarket parts support.