1200 SS aka The Baby Nova

jb1200

Yeah its gonna be tire-engine-tire...no front wheel-wells. :thumbup:

Sweet!!! Let me know what parts you won't be using as I may need some front end suspension parts. Let me know what you need also. I have some parts left over.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you cleaning and filling holes in the wheel wells if you're just going to cut them out?

I agree, If it was mine I would leave the fender wells, cut out the strut area, weld a sheet of metal where the strut was, then do the filling in, keeping the strength of the structure. This is a common modification when one puts a Mustang II front suspension in an old Falcon or Mustang. It would probably be a good idea to have your Nova subframe handy to know where to cut out clearance in the Datto's fenderwell.    

The Mustang II is the better option...their selling those at good prices and they're pretty much the same setup.

The Mustang II is similiar, as it is an "A" arm setup, but definitely not the same as the early Camaro/Nova. The Mustang II suspension has much better geometry for cornering, and staying in a straight line at the top end, much lighter too. The stock B110 suspension could be upgraded, is very light, and many options available using larger brakes, different Nissan struts, etc. saving you $$$. Do you have a plan for the car, or are you going to test each modification to see if it works, then makes changes? Experimentation can get really expensive, fast.

I still can't see any measurable advantage over upgrading the B110 suspension.  Given the same tires, I'd put a stock 1200 up against a stock Mustang II (or Pinto) any day.

Agreed, and his original intention (I believe) was to use DAT383's car from the Datsun 1200 site as a pattern for his build. DAT383's car used upgraded struts, front facing calipers, and a Holden Gemini rack for the steering, all on the stock design suspension. It works, and goes straight down the quarter mile every time. Just do it!!!

• Like 1

Yes the plan was to go with the upper and lower control arm setup...not persay the Nova but something similar (universal). I also looked into the 510 strut setup being that they're readily available. Honestly I want the cheapest but the best setup for the 1200 SS. I want something that's gonna ride tight and straight while I'm hauling ass down the 101, not sloppy and loose. I'm open to all advice that's gonna better this project. I'm all ears.

Yes the plan was to go with the upper and lower control arm setup...not persay the Nova but something similar (universal). I also looked into the 510 strut setup being that they're readily available. Honestly I want the cheapest but the best setup for the 1200 SS. I want something that's gonna ride tight and straight while I'm hauling ass down the 101, not sloppy and loose. I'm open to all advice that's gonna better this project. I'm all ears.

A 510 strut may be a little tougher to fit, as they are a little tall. A 280ZX strut is a little shorter, and you would have the benefit of larger ventilated brakes. Check out the 1200 brake upgrade link on this site. Doug (Morrisun), or Mike Klotz could help you there. You can keep your stock struts, LCA's etc, and save some weight with the 1200 brake upgrade kit. Your car will be considerably heavier up front, so you need to stop as well as to accelerate, and cruise the freeway. Hope that helps.

I would suggest spending some time over on datsun1200.com learning about your options.  Where are you getting "sloppy and loose"?  A 1200 with serviceable front suspension handles like a go-cart.  Simply upgrading springs and brakes would be my suggestion.  Converting to a SLA is a great idea if your goal is to add cost, weight, and complication to your build.

Guess what the man in brown dropped off at my house tonight?

Transmission tunnel

IMG_0138.jpg

Small Block Chevy Engine Mounts

IMG_0142.jpg

The tin looks great, was that also from Paul Horton? Looks like you got your work cut out for you!!!