1200 SS aka The Baby Nova

jb1200

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Craig I think I'm gonna leave the name as is, it's pretty catchy.

Nova, or No-va means "It doesn't go", or "no go" in Spanish. How about "Baby Camaro", "Camaro" meaning "friend" or "comrade"? Your car has a 307, which is a 5.0L. How about "5.0 Baby Camaro"? Pretty catchy eh?

Hey look what the UPS man just dropped off at the crib....my 19" X 22" GM Double Pass W/ Oil Cooler. With the push type fan.

IMG_0130.jpg1f9d3c2e-e6d5-4989-bba6-c4223a38d96c.jpg

Are you planning on running an automatic trans later on, the reason for the cooler in the radiator, or is it going to be used to cool the engine oil? If you are are going to use it to cool the engine oil, how are you going to tap it into the oiling system?

Are you planning on running an automatic trans later on, the reason for the cooler in the radiator, or is it going to be used to cool the engine? If you are are going to use it to cool the engine, how are you going to tap it into the oiling system?

Im gonna buy an oil cooler adapter...

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/product/22-540/22-540----SBC-REMOTE-OIL-COOLER-SANDWICH-ADAPTER/

Projected finished time frame is within 3 months give or take 1 month.

Is there any reason why you want to finish your car in just three months...give or take a month, just curious? I've been doing engine conversions since about 1966, and I've learned to estimate the time and cost to complete the project, then double it.  You never know what problems you might run into.

Is there any reason why you want to finish your car in just three months...give or take a month, just curious? I've been doing engine conversions since about 1966, and I've learned to estimate the time and cost to complete the project, then double it.  You never know what problems you might run into.

Im very moviated at this point right now, plus if I put my timeframe out to long I will just end up push it to the right. So this way I push myself and if I end up needing more time its ok.

Im very moviated at this point right now, plus if I put my timeframe out to long I will just end up push it to the right. So this way I push myself and if I end up needing more time its ok.

I get it: A pot of coffee, and burnin' the midnight oil, that'll work!!!

• Like 1
Also check same vintage 4.3 Blazers.  Some used a remote mount filter too, which would free up room for exhaust and steering.

The remote filter assembly itself might fit the hose fittings, but the adapter on the 4.3 block is smaller diameter (smaller diameter filter) than the 307-350 V8.   

Nova, or No-va means "It doesn't go", or "no go" in Spanish. How about "Baby Camaro", "Camaro" meaning "friend" or "comrade"? Your car has a 307, which is a 5.0L. How about "5.0 Baby Camaro"? Pretty catchy eh?

I thought a camaro was a small animal that eats mustangs?

• Like 1
I thought they were the same.  Guess not. 

My guess is because (except for a Bowtie racing block) the 4.3 oil pump only feeds one side of the lifter galley, whereas the regular SBC feeds both sides. I'm thinking maybe GM didn't see the need to have the larger oil volume filter because of this.

Dan which one do u go to?

When at the junk yard, which 9" will you be looking for, the 28 spline or 31 spline? I believe that the 31 spline was made starting in '67, and it has an "N" cast in the carrier case. The "N" means nodular, and is stronger than the cast iron version. You could probably get by with the 28 spline in such a light car as yours, even if you upgrade to a larger engine.

When at the junk yard, which 9" will you be looking for, the 28 spline or 31 spline? I believe that the 31 spline was made starting in '67, and it has an "N" cast in the carrier case. The "N" means nodular, and is stronger than the cast iron version. You could probably get by with the 28 spline in such a light car as yours, even if you upgrade to a larger engine.

I did some research last night and I'm going with the 31 spline.

• Like 1
I did some research last night and I'm going with the 31 spline.

That is probably good insurance going to the 31 spline. If you run tubs and a wide tire it will be very good to have, especially if you upgrade to a stroker/larger engine. Most of the 31 spline units came in trucks, and the hypo big block full-size Ford cars.