1200 SS aka The Baby Nova

jb1200

There will be only one accessory...the alternator. Water pump is electric.

once you get the pullies and accesories on there there will be no room left for a radiator part of why we were all saying dont do it
There will be only one accessory...the alternator and i still havent decided if I'm gonna mount the alternator on the rearend just to make it look more clean under the hood. Water pump is electric by the way.
  • Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be good for radiator clearance with a one groove crank pulley and a 20" H x 17" W x 1" D core radiator.

If you do find yourself in a squeeze for space, contact Rod Simpson of Rod Simpson Hybrids fame (SBC into Porsche 911/914). He has a neat setup that uses a side mounted mopar slant six water pump, and a Chevy harmonic damper that has a groove machined in it for a V-belt. This setup makes for an extremely short engine. Renegade has a similiar setup that they copied from Rod years ago. Rod lives near L.A.  Neat pics BTW. Keep 'em comin'.

I will be good for radiator clearance with a one groove crank pulley and a 20" H x 17" W x 1" D core radiator.

dont build a huge motor unless u plan on using a swamp cooler bolted to your grill to cool the motor...i see inter coolers bigger then that..

why would this thread be stickied? :confused: :crying:

Sarcasm... To show one how to, or how not to, do a SBC in a 1200---take your pick. Many have asked the question: Why in the first place even do such a conversion? This topic has been beaten to death as to why it was done. It most likely will be completed, to the dismay of some who are Datsun purists, as well as common sense practical enthusiasts. I said it before, and I will say it again: It's his car, he can do what he wants with it. I have no problem with that. :yawn:

• Like 1

It's positioned lower than the stock.

I remember on a couple of stock 1200's I measured 4 5/8" from the crank center to the top of the stock crossmember. You should be able to get it quite low with the 64-67 SBC Nova oil pan.

• 2 weeks later...

Well John sent me some pics this weekend so ill post them for him. he also said the 307 is just for moch-up, he has decided to go with  a 383 rated at 471 hp and 500 ft lbs of tq. and hopes to have it running before the end of the month.

IMG_6154_zpsde318700.jpg

IMG953989_zps74843f9e.jpg

Well John sent me some pics this weekend so ill post them for him. he also said the 307 is just for moch-up, he has decided to go with  a 383 rated at 471 hp and 500 ft lbs of tq. and hopes to have it running before the end of the month.

Well---he did say give or take a month, so this is obviously the "give" part. It is coming along OK it appears...

IMG_6154_zpsde318700.jpg

IMG953989_zps74843f9e.jpg

End of the month as in tomorrow?

Maybe, he means the end of the "give" month, as in the end of May, perhaps? :confused:

Well---he did say give or take a month, so this is obviously the "give" part. It is coming along OK it appears...

to me it seems like he could of picked up a stock rotary motor in running condition and had the car running within a week of owning it, alot the work for practically no benifit, oh well it is his car, build to suit.

to me it seems like he could of picked up a stock rotary motor in running condition and had the car running within a week of owning it, alot the work for practically no benifit, oh well it is his car, build to suit.

Really mr "78 280z 4speed- awaiting a v8 swap"  ....

I think the point is to be different, not the same ol stuff in the same cars. And at least he is doing it the right way not a hack job. I dont mean to get on the soap box. but i dont see anyone giving the guy with miatas welded to the bottom of his datsuns any grief, so why this ride?

• Like 2

Really mr "78 280z 4speed- awaiting a v8 swap"  ....

I think the point is to be different, not the same ol stuff in the same cars. And at least he is doing it the right way not a hack job. I dont mean to get on the soap box. but i dont see anyone giving the guy with miatas welded to the bottom of his datsuns any grief, so why this ride?

Maybe because hes a proven mechanic who puts out good work and follows through on his deadlines all while providing ample pictures for us to drool over. Its just all too common people come on here and say they are going to V6 swap this and V8 swap that, then we never hear from them again. Or god forbid they hack into the vehicle and ruin it after they see its too much work.

No one is saying that the OP has done that, but he was super into it in the begining and kept saying it was suppose to be done by a certain date... then we never heard from him again. Its safe to assume that hes like 99% of the guys we get all the time. If he had content to provide us to draw a different conclusion, we would all love it no matter what engine he puts in there.