1200 SS aka The Baby Nova

jb1200

That little 307 will really be sleepin' in 6th. What rearend are you planning on using, and what ratio?

I'm planning on using a ford 9. Due to my calculations on the Tremec site I will have to run 4:86. That puts me at a little under 2K rpm doing 85mph in 6th gear.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning on using a ford 9. Due to my calculations on the Tremec site I will have to run 4:86. That puts me at a little under 2K rpm doing 85mph in 6th gear.

What tire diameter are you using, and is your T-56 out of a Camaro/Firebird/Corvette, or a Viper? If Camaro/Firebird, what year?

OK, That would be a Camaro/Firebird '95-up with the .50 overdrive. If you are running a little under 2000 RPM @ 85, you would be running a 35" diameter tire. With a 4.86 gear, a .50 overdrive and 35" diameter tire, it would put you at 1,983 RPM @ 85. About how much do you think your car would weigh? A stocker weighs about 1,600 or so. 

If your tire size is going to be 21.9" diameter, it will put you at 3,169 RPM @ 85 with the .50 6th overdrive, and the 4.86 gear ratio.

"rpm = (mph x gear ratio  x 336) / tire diameter"

"If you’re having trouble, let’s assume that you currently have an old Muncie ‘Rock-Crusher’ with"

"a 1:1 fourth gear ratio, some 4.11’s out back, and a pair of 26” tall tires putting the power to the ground. Plug those numbers into the equation above, and at just 65 mph you’re churning out nearly 3,500 RPM!  Now multiply that number by .64 (as in the .64:1 overdrive in a TREMEC TKO) and you’ll see that at the same speed you could be saving over 1200 RPM (from 3,452 to"

"2,209)!  Try finding another component to do that while adding to your vehicle’s performance!"

OK, That would be a Camaro/Firebird '95-up with the .50 overdrive. If you are running a little under 2000 RPM @ 85, you would be running a 35" diameter tire. With a 4.86 gear, a .50 overdrive and 35" diameter tire, it would put you at 1,983 RPM @ 85. About how much do you think your car would weigh? A stocker weighs about 1,600 or so. 

I have no idea about the weight.

"rpm = (mph x gear ratio  x 336) / tire diameter"

"If you’re having trouble, let’s assume that you currently have an old Muncie ‘Rock-Crusher’ with"

"a 1:1 fourth gear ratio, some 4.11’s out back, and a pair of 26” tall tires putting the power to the ground. Plug those numbers into the equation above, and at just 65 mph you’re churning out nearly 3,500 RPM!  Now multiply that number by .64 (as in the .64:1 overdrive in a TREMEC TKO) and you’ll see that at the same speed you could be saving over 1200 RPM (from 3,452 to"

"2,209)!  Try finding another component to do that while adding to your vehicle’s performance!"

RPM= MPH x Gear Ratio x 336 / Tire Diameter      This is your setup: 85 MPH x 4.86 x .50 x 336 / 21.9 = 3,168.9863 RPM @ 85 MPH

For now he has the 307. Once converted and the heavy lifting is over a different V8 could be easier to swap in.

I know that this is a 1200 thread, but a guy did a similiar conversion to a B210. He is using a Chevy 267 V8, which is a fairly square engine at 3.50" x 3.48", bore and stroke respectively. It was only used from 1979-82 in certain cars. 

Here is the link:

I know that this is a 1200 thread, but a guy did a similiar conversion to a B210. He is using a Chevy 267 V8, which is a fairly square engine at 3.50" x 3.48", bore and stroke respectively. It was only used from 1979-82 in certain cars. 

Here is the link:

Nice video! :thumbup:

^^It takes pretty big balls to put a 100 shot of nitrous on a 115hp engine.^^

Pretty big balls or _____???  The factory pistons in those were the cheap cast aluminum style with metal struts. Maybe a lttle low boost turbo? The cam sounds totally stock with low overlap. 

RPM= MPH x Gear Ratio x 336 / Tire Diameter      This is your setup: 85 MPH x 4.86 x .50 x 336 / 21.9 = 3,168.9863 RPM @ 85 MPH

ok I recalculated my gearing options and the 3.11 gears will put me where I want to be.

ok I recalculated my gearing options and the 3.11 gears will put me where I want to be.

The closest thing in a Ford 9" to the 3.11 you want is a 3.00 Gear, which is a dime a dozen (cheap). This will put you at 1,956 RPM @ 85   Sweet!!!

• Like 1
The closest thing in a Ford 9" to the 3.11 you want is a 3.00 Gear, which is a dime a dozen (cheap). This will put you at 1,956 RPM @ 85   Sweet!!!

Ok cool good looking out Craig. I gonna be on the hunt for one.

Ok cool good looking out Craig. I gonna be on the hunt for one.

For an option, and if you want to fill the fender opening a little more, a 25" Tire with a 3.50 Ford ratio will put you at 1,999.2 RPM @85

F.Y.I. there were certain 1979-80 Lincoln Versailles that came with a 9" rearend with disc brakes stock. I think the ratio was 3.00. It

was definitely a cruising ratio, whatever it was. They are neat, IF and WHEN you can find one. Those brakes with the Nova fronts should

pull you down from 85 MPH in short order.

Well due to the UPS man not delivering my engine mounts this weekend I had to work on corrosion. I got the right side of the engine bay down to bare metal ready to weld up unnessacy holes.

IMG_0136.jpg

Lookin' good. Any luck on the 3.00 9"? F.Y.I. UPS delivers Mon-Fri, and Fed Ex Mon-Sat. Are you going to cut the strut towers out, since you won't be needing them with the A-arm suspension?

Lookin' good. Any luck on the 3.00 9"? F.Y.I. UPS delivers Mon-Fri, and Fed Ex Mon-Sat. Are you going to cut the strut towers out, since you won't be needing them with the A-arm suspension?

Yeah its gonna be tire-engine-tire...no front wheel-wells. :thumbup: