feedback on my rear suspension

Poky8390

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...

There's a reason things are built the same all the time. They work.

I just hope this doesn't break on you wen you're going over 15 miles an hour or going around a corner. I'm guessing you're young and believe you're immortal.  You're not.

nothing with trying a new design,but don't just start welding.  OK,I've said the same things the others guys did. I'll shut up.

one thing I can't believe is you think a 620 doesn't ride stiff enough? 

Good luck.

Im willing to give it a go =) if it breaks when i test it ill redesign =)
What fab shop do you live at ?

I hope you're young.

The thing is this... it would take you 10-15 minutes to redesign something that will actually work... that's still cool.

Choosing to use the wrong springs/struts at an angle that cuts the spring rate/travel and literally makes them un-functionable is ... quite .... ignorant especially when you've had 2 pro fabricators comment saying you need to change your design amongst many other members.(I'm not a pro fabricator)

Do you know what the spring and strut rate is for an sx ??

Car manufacturers spend millions of dollars and thousands of man hours just on suspension alone....

Thinking it will be a "stiff" ride .... is simply just the opposite .... it will be wobbly as crap ... and bottom out before it breaks ...and like spudly said fold over on itself.

High tech racecars that yield these angles utilize special expensive: fluids , springs , housings , cantalevers , extra support suspension , etc ..... not even designed for off track use .....sx struts don't !

WOW

Just wow. Do yourself a favor and just start over. 

You claim to live at a fab shop, I think that any even remotely decent fab shop would have shut this project down a long time ago. I rather suspect that this is actually happening at backyard barneys garage.

I can guarantee you that NO decent fab shop would ever put their name on that design, EVER.

Hell, backyard barney doesn't even want his name on that design.

So, what shop is this at? Lets see some of their other work.. :geek:

FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION .... ALWAYS!!!!  Designs, any design, are subject to Darwinism... survival of the fittest. Those designs that work, including being safe, survive. Those that are unsafe... well they aren't around long. This is the reason why there are only several ways to do this correctly.... because they are superior designs that work properly and have proven themselves to be winners.

fab shop didnt design anything i did myself.. and like i said if it breaks ill redesign do i understand that there is hours and hours and life times of designs yes i do and no i dont think im immortal.. do i fear wrecking the car no i dont.. will i test everything yes im going to.. people seem to think im going to take it to the freeway and open it up which isnt logical.. yes spring rate is changed by the angle.. and as of right now they do work with no binding.... i really dont mind the negativety since people seem to think i just wont listen and that my design is horrible im just willing to try something because it is different if i can get it to work then pat on my back if i cant then i cant but id rather break it then just scrap it and always wonder what if.. from some of the postes seems like people think im just an idiot or ignorant.. i thought about what i was doing and that it was something that hasnt been done thats exactly why i want to try.... i started my build as a complete truck and just had plans of making it run now my vision has brought me to this.. a whole lot of people thinking im just a kid not listening.. ive read everything and have started doing more research on top of what i already have done just because of what you guys have posted..

I dont want to lose the oppertunity on here to learn things which i have already.. or to ask for help on things because of what people may think of me as of this posting.. ill post more pictures in the day time of what it looks like.. and something posotive i guess i got my wheels today =) and the fab shop is steelrunner metal fab..

truck1_zpsf50105ca.jpg

It looks to me like you have formed a triangle with two fixed corners and one hinged. No way this can articulate properly. If the top of the strut also had a hinge it might work but right now there are forces trying to flex at that point but it's welded to that square tubing. The strut may compress slightly but it quickly binds and then the square tubing begins to bend and that's why it's so stiff.

Looks like the entire rear is held up by the square tubing. One good bump and the square tubing is going to fold or the welds will snap.

glad i dont live in oregon. if you want to build suspension, try to build someone elses design right before.you try your own. suspension is geometry. yours looks likes building square wheels and expecting them to roll. please get something other then a datsun to destroy.