feedback on my rear suspension

Poky8390

so i have a couple night shots of my suspension ive been working on.. the random peices of metal are just tacked to hold things in place =).. ive also rebuilt the entire motor new seals, pistons, rings, bearings... everything=) the coilover springs are off my buddies 96 240sx.. as of right now its super stiff the way i wanted it so theyll most likely get used permanent.. fuel cell is going to be either 1 or 2 kegs.. rear end will always be open like it is in the pics just going to add 1/4 hugger fenders and some universal trailer lights. wheels are getting swapped out for pro comp steelies 16x10..cab is fixed from when i posted the last time both floors and new door rubbers and window seals.. hope you guys enjoy ill try to get some better pics up.

truck4_zps065394d7.jpgtruck1_zpsf50105ca.jpgtruck2_zps640e4a0e.jpgtruck3_zps3e763139.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is there a reason for doing something like this? You should consider adding a watts link to keep things in proper position. This will flex from side to side and give you rubbery and floating feel of the car.

so i have a couple night shots of my suspension ive been working on.. the random peices of metal are just tacked to hold things in place =).. the coilover springs are off my buddies 96 240sx.. as of right now its super stiff the way i wanted it so theyll most likely get used permanent..

There is a reason for the stiffness. Poor design. You have not designed any way for the springs to actually work. You have the axle mounted to a fixed trailing arm that can only move straight up and down, but the Sentra struts need to move at a 45° angle. If driven like that, something will break because every bump will put it all in a bind. Very very uncommon for a strut or shock to ever function correctly when mounted at that extreme of an angle.

What do I think of it?  Kudos to you for trying something new, but it is time to go read a book on suspension design before attempting projects like this.

• Like 2

No triangulation in the links will allow your rear to wander all over the place. At the least you need a panhard bar or watts link to maintain the axle position sided to side as Aibast mentioned.

Your strut geometry, as stated, is not great and you sturt mounts are loaded in shear and will probably come apart pretty quickly if not gusseted or reinforced in some way.

As Yello said, kudos for trying. Execution needs work. :)

• Like 1

I will add guseting and everything to support the crossmember and the bar holding the top of the springs.. i know its going to have very little rebound or "spring" going down the road but that was the point when i started building.. if it rides like a dump truck it wont bother me.. and as for side to side movement i just havnt had the time to add anything else =0 but its coming.. i do enjoy the posotive and negative feed back as for design ill change things after i do this and brake something..

i know its a little extreme but once i have all the odds and ends tied up i think i can make it work.. only thing im worried about is my driving cause i rally everything so im sure ill break bend or snap something off and have to build it stronger.. when i have supports where they should be it might change some people minds.. ive had bronchites <-- dont know how to spell that.. so i havnt been able to work on anything.

be sure to make things sturdy, you don't want to brake things that will but your life in danger. If know anyone from racing industry, ask for info. You might get good tips. You should add some clamps to hold spring ends in place. As they sit on an angle, be sure they wont come out of there seats.

yah i plan building a good mounting structure for the base of the springs.. the links are inch and a half 095 wall thickness.. im more worried about bending those.. the welding im not concerned about.. i have a couple of ideas in my head for fixing the side to side movement that im going to have.. i dont know anyone that races but have alot of off rod friends theyve been shooting me ideas and i work for a body shop so ive been talking to techs.. right now the up and down movement of the axle with the springs is ok its smooth.. stiff but smooth...

Listen man, since I'm a father now and you could possibly end up on a freeway that I'm driving my family on someday, I'm gonna give you some sound advice;  All the guys including myself have a combined like 3 decades of suspension knowledge here, so when we tell you that it needs to be revised....it needs to be revised. 

Those struts are not going to last like that.  I know you can't see it, but you're putting a lot of lateral stress on the shafts by having them at that crazy angle.  Strut tubes are built to contain fluid/gas and not to support any real side loads.  They are made from 14 gauge tubing at best.  You have no adjustment for pinion angle, definitely need something for side to side movement (no need to reinvent the wheel here, there's only a few options for that), not to mention what you're doing to the spring rate with that angle. 

If you're planning on running the back open, then what's the reason for not mounting the struts at the proper angle?

And please, put some gussets in where the frame ends and your cross member begins, and some around the upper strut mounts.  There's no need to deal with a shitty ride if you design it right.  Like previously stated, read up on suspension design.  There's a ton of info on the web.  I appreciate trying to be different, but there are certain rules that need to be adhered to.  It's not too late to make it right. :thumbup:

seriously man, ive been around ratsun long enough to know who to listen to. You have some very experienced members telling you what your doing isnt safe to you or those around you. 

My 2 cents is you need to follow their advice. 

If you dont want to that's fine, just test drive it in an empty lot before you endanger others 

seriously man, ive been around ratsun long enough to know who to listen to. You have some very experienced members telling you what your doing isnt safe to you or those around you. 

My 2 cents is you need to follow their advice. 

If you dont want to that's fine, just test drive it in an empty lot before you endanger others 

Offroad use only..

If you wreck this and injure someone you will be very sorry. It's an interesting concept, but I would be very concerned.

I will add guseting and everything to support the crossmember and the bar holding the top of the springs..

Putting gussets on a poor design is like putting frosting on dog shit...It's still dog shit.

Design it correctly from the beginning and quite trying to build stuff just cause you have a set of Sentra springs laying around.

• Like 2

..... what the fuck ??? .....

I'm not trying to be a dick but if I'm nice then the point won't stick..

Tear it all down and try again.

READ about 40-hours of suspension theory and systems.

I won't spoon feed BASIC suspension knowledge especially with google. , magazines , and articles everywhere.

I see ladder bars .. that "should" work. Hope you have the right length.

No lateral locater is plain retarded. Panhard is easiest , but watts link is best (either is fine) even people using tri-angulated links will sometimes add a locater.

Those arn't coilovers...

Do the links have bushings ?

You shouldn't use what's "laying around" if it doesn't suit the needs. Period.

Your strut/spring angle is quite interesting and so is the reinforcement ... change it !!!!

No rear frame ? Did you cut it off ??? Plan plan plan read read read ... cut 1 or 2 times

Universal trailer lights .... what .....

Keg is cool.

I have a serious inclination you want your work to be seen.

If it works at all ... it will be :lol: at

Don't do that to yourself ... you owe your self respect and creativity more than that don't you ? :)

More importantly make it safe to drive.... for all of us.

Cops can impound your shit no questions asked if they feel its a danger to you or someone else.

God knows my work isn't pretty lol

Cut off a good portion and start again....

Think STRENGTH and actually buy some proper steel/plates

We ALL have to learn somewhere and on something.

Don't give up !!! ... but don't continue this version..

The only lessons worth learning are the hardest ones to learn !

*Jegs,summit,speedway racing all have cheap springs and even cheaper coilovers that are CORRECT for your needs :D ...just about everything else as well.

*Clackamas Steel ... give them a call or go see what they have. They will sell by the foot !

Again don't give up but don't continue down this path...

• Like 1

i dont mind the comments.. i built everything out of the fab shop i live at.. nothing was just random metal i had to use i chose from steel we have on the racks.. and as for the springs those werent just laying around i chose to use those.. ive had mixed opinions.. do i think my design will work when im done i do.. not saying its going to last but im sure it will work.. if i have to cut everything off i will.. =) and i think some people have missed the times ive said it isnt done =) and nothing is finish welded. so design changes can be made and some possibly might be. =)

Im willing to give it a go =) if it  breaks when i test it ill redesign =)

I think you keep missing the point everyone's trying to make. It's already broken, do it over. 

• Like 1