A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still think Fat510 has the coolest one?   :rofl:

Strangest shape for a wagon i have ever seen though.. ;)

And for the love of Pete Flat could you just tell datsunfreak you like his A10,, he seems to have a Jrock complex about it...

:rofl:

• Like 3

Freak doesn't have an A10. He has a B310.

This.  :rofl:

Fat510 gives me a lot of shit. I was just having a little fun...  

I dig his wagon though. It looks like the most usable Datsun on the planet. I would love to have one just like it.  :thumbup:

I think Datsunfreak has a big hard-on against Donovan though. Jeebus.

Who is Donovan? Sorry, I don't know most of you guys real names...   :rofl:

Hi guys I need help, I have automatic 3sp tranny in my A10 is there any 4sp I can just install without engine swap, nor having to do much mod? I want to keep the naps z20s engine.

If yours is one of the transmissions with a removable bellhousing (and I think it is), you should be able to use an 80-84 Maxima transmission. 

By swapping on your bellhousing of course.   ^_^

I know the Maxima automatics were 4 speeds, and I believe some of the later 280ZX's had one, but I don't think the '80-83 200SX was available with one (the only one with a Z bellhousing). 

Hi guys I need help, I have automatic 3sp tranny in my A10 is there any 4sp I can just install without engine swap, nor having to do much mod? I want to keep the naps z20s engine.

you gotta get the manual pedal box

Only 84 maximas had the 4spd auto, and the od gear is lower than the zx 5 speed. 

As I recall it's an 0.68. Mine was an '84, wasn't 100% sure if other years had them and should have said so.   ^_^

edit: Looked up the interchange and gas-powered '83s also had the 4 speed transmission, as well as all years of diesels. 

And if you don't believe me and still want to hear it from Mike...   :rofl:

Nissan Motor Company, and its spinoff, Jatco, have produced a large number of automatic transmissions for many auto makers. The Jatco 3N71B transmission was the first 3-speed automatic transmission from Nissan Motor Company. It was an introduced in '72 as a conventional alternative to the then-ubiquitous and popular Borg-Warner Type 35. It was designed for use with rear wheel drive vehicles with longitudinal engines. Beginning in 1982, it gained a locking torque converter (L3N71B) for greater efficiency, and gained an overdrive 4th gear in 1983 (L4N71B), culminating with preliminary electronic sensors and control functions being added in 1985 (E4N71b).

Some sources claim the L means (L)ight duty and E is for medium duty.

IMG_0148.jpg

The above transmission is an L4N71B. The fourth gear is a 0.686 over drive, to make use of the L24 inline six that powered the '84 Maxima wagon that it came out of. This would reduce an engine RPM of 3,000 to just over 2,000! That's over 30%!! The O/D can be turned on or off with an electric switch on the shift handle. This transmission and flex plate should bolt to any 6 bolt L series four cylinder. As you can see the main body of the transmission has been moved to the rear to make room for the O/D gear just behind the bell, and has a shorter rear housing than the 3N71B

Top L4N71B with 3N71B just below it.
transautotopL4N71B84Maximagoonand3N.jpg

The L4N71B is 82cm long the 3N71B is 79.3cm almost exactly 1" different. The torque converters are similar on the outside only and have different input spline types.

The L4N71B (above) appears deeper and you can see some of the hydraulic controls for the O/D between it and the bell.