Datsun B310 turbo coupe, A15 project

Atomic

8 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

You only need a scraper on the right side. The left side throws are coming down bringing oil and spray with it into the pan anyway.  A scraper will catch and trap oil above it. How will it get around it and down into the pan? It's not needed.

The right side is the one with oil pickup tube or the opposite? 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm currently negotiating pricing on CNC machine, might be mine in two weeks:

BHLBbVg.jpg

it's a 3 axis machine which was converted to electronically controlled one in some swizz school. It has Fagor 8025-M control unit and Infranor CD1-a drivers. The control unit itself is a bit old, but I think I can manage, I already created a post processing profile for it. 

Oh and I'm starting my own company as a side job... Car parts incoming!

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Atomic said:

I'm currently negotiating pricing on CNC machine, might be mine in two weeks:

BHLBbVg.jpg

it's a 3 axis machine which was converted to electronically controlled one in some swizz school. It has Fagor 8025-M control unit and Infranor CD1-a drivers. The control unit itself is a bit old, but I think I can manage, I already created a post processing profile for it. 

Oh and I'm starting my own company as a side job... Car parts incoming!

Now I am officially jealous.... 

I would love to be doing some of what your doing on the side too.... 

Maybe a future retirement plan .... 

Good luck, cant wait to see what else you can come up with....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Now I am officially jealous.... 

I would love to be doing some of what your doing on the side too.... 

Maybe a future retirement plan .... 

Good luck, cant wait to see what else you can come up with....

I'm now trying to get a permission for running a side business. Then I'll order the machine, it will be an investment.

I hope I could provide transmission adapter plates/ aluminum valve covers / intake and exhaust flanges and such kind of things for us datsun holics. But lets see how the things turn out, this is a jump to a new field for myself and I hope it's a right one. 

If everything goes well, I'm making my plasma cutter better and then converting my benchpress to electric so that I can make 3D printed bending tools for sheet metal parts. I look forwards to start molding, casting, machining and sheet metal forming in the future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There is a member here on the forum, a machinist who makes datsun specific parts, who's company is called Blue Hands Inc.  His ratsun name is MKlotz.  

Meant as light hearted encouragement.  I think its awesome when true fans use their skills to improve the market.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

There is a member here on the forum, a machinist who makes datsun specific parts, who's company is called Blue Hands Inc.  His ratsun name is MKlotz.  

Meant as light hearted encouragement.  I think its awesome when true fans use their skills to improve the market.

Oooh, thanks for the explaining! 

I look forwards to create custom parts So that it offers an easier platform To start working on older cars 🙂

I will reveal the name if i get the permission from the company i work for to have a side business. Fingers crossed! 

Got the main cap bearings machined, now the cradle sits flush:

img_20200504_191801_by_atomicsickness_dd'

Stamped the numbering/lettering to the top again:

img_20200504_191855_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20200504_191901_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20200504_191906_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20200504_191910_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20200504_191914_by_atomicsickness_dd

with the 3rd cradle proto, the scrapers clear just barely:

img_20200504_192545_by_atomicsickness_dd

But it seems like the rod ends are hitting it, so I need a 4th version:

img_20200504_192715_by_atomicsickness_dd

Also I hope this was the correct way to put the bearing caps to the block as I put the markings according to this alignment, I got the numbering with each cap right tho, but wasn't so sure which way they are rotated.

img_20200504_191930_by_atomicsickness_dd

Got the scraper bolt holes perfect this time, also I had to change to a larger girdle due to the conrod clearance issue, more on this later:

img_20200505_170934_by_atomicsickness_dd

Have to align the scraper hole a bit to the left 1 mm more, I could also do a closer fit with circular hole in the middle

img_20200505_171005_by_atomicsickness_dd

Top bolt holes are now spot on too:

img_20200505_171009_by_atomicsickness_dd

Clearance is good and tight with this larger one:

img_20200505_171021_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20200505_171023_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20200505_171042_by_atomicsickness_dd

I have to change the end corner geometry a tiny but so I can fit the oil pan, new version is printing again (5th version, lol)

img_20200505_171029_by_atomicsickness_dd

Here is the 5th one with cut corners and more meat on the sides:

img_20200505_175641_by_atomicsickness_dd

• Like 2

I ran out of PLA fillament, so I had to buy ABS. The first print was the test for the tail light panel. The ABS shrank a lot from the edge and cause the printing head to hit the print couple of times while I was away. But anyways, the right hand side seem to be okay, but the same mold didn't fit the left hand side quite that well so I made new drawings from it and need to print another part for it:

img_20200507_182740_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20200507_182910_by_atomicsickness_dd

I'm planning to make around 3-5 mm thick end mask with multiple print sections so I can have detailed edges with a little lift. The plan is to merge these sections with fiber glass fillament and make it into one piece. This way I can have removable black tail light plate and different color car and no annoying paint fades or edges to do that. Also gives me freedom to make these tail lights "pop" out a bit more with some rings around the insert circles.

I'm also thinking about buying TPU as material if is suitable for creating seals around the tail light housings. Or I could 3D print a mold and cast them myself. 

Anyways, I'm buying the CNC with 15 tool holders, should be good for the start.  

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Atomic said:

CNC machine bought, could be here already on next week. I'll keep you guys posted!

Also I finished up my master thesis. So I'm graduating during next month, hurray!

That's fantastic! Congratulation on your Masters! Tell us about your thesis. What were you researching? What did you learn?

4 hours ago, slowlearner said:

That's fantastic! Congratulation on your Masters! Tell us about your thesis. What were you researching? What did you learn?

Thank you!

I did my thesis on microfluidic pump system architecture for QCM-D application. I learned a lot about the QCM-D itself and then some phenomena regarding cavitation and different pump architectures of course. 

The QCM-D itself is a piezoelectric oscillator that we're measuring. Based on the frequency shift of the sensor, we can determine the mass change over the sensor in nanogram levels. And as we're mainly working with liquids, the dissipation monitoring will tell us about the bonding of molecules on top of the sensor and the viscosity of the liquid itself.

Never thought I would find myself in surface sciences as my masters was about mechatronics. But hey, it's good to learn something new! I'm still continuing the development of the said architecture and running laboratory tests on the design that I made. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Atomic said:

Thank you!

I did my thesis on microfluidic pump system architecture for QCM-D application. I learned a lot about the QCM-D itself and then some phenomena regarding cavitation and different pump architectures of course. 

The QCM-D itself is a piezoelectric oscillator that we're measuring. Based on the frequency shift of the sensor, we can determine the mass change over the sensor in nanogram levels. And as we're mainly working with liquids, the dissipation monitoring will tell us about the bonding of molecules on top of the sensor and the viscosity of the liquid itself.

Never thought I would find myself in surface sciences as my masters was about mechatronics. But hey, it's good to learn something new! I'm still continuing the development of the said architecture and running laboratory tests on the design that I made. 

That's pretty cool, adsorption kinetics can get really interesting. I'm assuming this is all stuff that will eventually get coupled to a SPR setup or something similar.

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 1

CNC machine will start its journey to Finland on Monday. Im still missing some tooling So that i could machine something. First thing will be plugging it in and run some air guitar demos 🤔

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Mattndew76 said:

Does it have a serial port on the control for DNC work?

The CNC machine has a RS communication port. I will need to check what's the protocol for it and can I drive it with or without a computer.

7 minutes ago, Mattndew76 said:

Do you know the storage capacity 50KB 125KB or 250KB?

CalMotion makes an RS port USB drip feed systems for older machines

I need to look into the manual, good info!