Datsun B310 turbo coupe, A15 project

Atomic

On 8/11/2021 at 10:46 PM, datzenmike said:

The Tut tut tut tut tut when revving is by the sound of it, a non functioning cylinder. Waiting for the results of the custom oil pump. I think it will be boss!!!

Very nice work BTW

18 hours ago, slowlearner said:

It runs! Great work! Sounds to me like it could be missing 2 cylinders actually. Keep at it. Check your ignition and injectors and off you go. 🙂

I actually pulled off the spark plugs, cleaned them and then ran the engine. Looks like cylinder 1 and 3 are not getting enough fuel. So fuel problem, need new injectors. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would NOT rev or even run the engine long until your injectors are figured out and it's firing properly on all cylinders. Mismatched cylinder temperatures due to no fuel on some but fuel in others can warp the head and/or blow the head gasket.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Who am I, what have I been doing! Definitely not my Datsun! I have had a lot of stuff going on in my life and I hope to bring back the project from the brink of death. I have things coming up soon so it will probably take me to 2025 to really get into the project again. Anyways, I just wanted to know that this project is still in my warm garage and is currently waiting for new set of fuel injectors and a tune up. 

From last time, I still have had the problem with the oil pressure once the engine warms up. I wonder if it is due to the size of the oil line orifice for the turbo. AND/OR the crappy injectors I have currently as the motor goes with 2 cylinders. Cylinders number 1 and 3 currently won't get fuel. 

Aaanyways, updates maybe towards the summer..?

Edited by Atomic
  • Like 2

Check on line for info on a restricter for the oil line to the turbo. I don't think they need that much.

There is an article in Club 1200 on modifying an L series oil pump to fit the A series to provide a higher volume output. Someone on here was doing it. I lost track.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Check on line for info on a restricter for the oil line to the turbo. I don't think they need that much.

There is an article in Club 1200 on modifying an L series oil pump to fit the A series to provide a higher volume output. Someone on here was doing it. I lost track.

The original modification is linked in this thread back some pages. + I made the adapter plate and all the stuff, but couldn't get pressure with that one sadly. I need to spend some time investigating what was wrong with the mod I did. So now I'm rocking with new repro pump there.

1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

-3 AN is usually big enough.

The turbo drain needs to be huge though.

The inlet restrictor currently has ~ 4 mm hole, the drain is about ~ 22 mm to the sump over the nominal oil level leaving with good angle from the turbo.

Also the turbo is a journal bearing one. 

Although I suspect it's just that my 2 cylinders are missing for now and the rpm's are not that steady on idle so I don't get good lubrication from the pump. I'm barely hanging on 14 psi on 2 cylinder idle atm when motor is at operating temperature.

Edited by Atomic

Oil delivery is by RPMs (not working cylinders) so it should be 20 or better at 700. Rev it to 2000 it should easily reach the relief spring pressure of 50-60 PSI. 14s ok for idle as the engine is only making a couple of HP to spin the internals but revved up it should be much more. That 4mm is 0.160" that's huge. On an L head the oil jet is less than half that and it lubricates 8 cam lobes and four cam bearings with enough left over to squirt oil on the chain. On a turbo I assume it more to take away heat.