Atomic

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Well....... the only thing that can save the  hood now, is to make them functional. 😄

Or find another set that would look good as well. Those vents cost me around 6 euros total for all of them 😄 

Got the injectors from ebay. Turned out they were not Bosch injectors, but some weird brand called Deleen. I had them flow checked and will be picking the best set of 4=: 4,5,6,8. The injectors were also tested with over 5 bar pressure as I asked, having no affect on the spraying as some knockoff injectors I have seen will get stuck for some reason. Also no difference in spray pattern, the shape for spraying was a nice misted cone for each injector. I will be selling the other lot of 4=: 1,2,3,7 but they need to be flow matched by the next user, so they will be quite cheap. PM me if interested, 50 euros for the lot of 4.

img_20190809_171457_by_atomicsickness_dd

Edited by Atomic
  • 2 weeks later...

No updates in a long time, damn.

I finally got myself back in the garage and extended the bracket that's holding the water overflow tank so that it will hold the oil cooler from the other end. Feels sturdy now.

img_20190821_185105_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20190821_185116_by_atomicsickness_dd

The cap can still be rotated and lifted off even when slightly under the oil cooler. The AN10 fitting clears out the rad too.

img_20190821_185355_by_atomicsickness_dd

The 9 inch DC fan should do the trick. I need to mount the rad underneath

• 1 month later...

I have been waiting for the custom pistons for 2 months now, they're still being made... 

The oil pump upgrade project needs a new shaft for the gear to settle in. 

I got some new gauges for the project, they're the same smoke series from autogauge:

img_20190928_104228_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20190928_104304_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20190928_104315_by_atomicsickness_dd

I haven't had the motivation or time to do the project until I get the damn pistons from the shop so I can take the engine block to machine shop. I also had to work on my daily driven Volvo V40 as it had some rust spots and I wanted to fix them before the winter. I also need to fix the leaky exhaust piping after the catalytic converter. 

I could do some bodywork on datsun, but I really don't want to dust around the garage as I have all the engine components laying around. 

I also received the K-type temperature sensor probes for the exhaust manifold and the TinyOS expander board along with some A/D chips. 

Oh and then I have an adjustable speedsensor package that will get input from VR sensor from the Volvo rear axle. It will then convert the sinusoidal wave into square wave and amplify it so that my current speedometer can get the correct signal in. But I really cannot test these until I get my motor back together. 

It might turn out that the engine will start again next year. As the winter arrives I don't want to drive it outside nor tune it in cold weather. It's kinda bummer.

OH BUT HEY ITS BEEN 7 YEARS MAKING IN PROGRESS, so I would like to thank all of you for your interest and good comments and suggestions. They have really helped me to continue with this project along the year. The blog has over 1.5k pictures and I have been planning to do some wiki entries later for CAD files I have been creating along the build to make custom parts.

So next update will be probably when I get the damn pistons, they better be great 😄 

• 2 months later...

Updates! I have finished all the university courses, and I'm only missing my diploma work. I have now been working as a mechanical designer for 1.5 years. 

B310 turbo coupe updates: New pistons are reported to be ready in 17.12.2019, I should be expecting them to arrive for the christmas then! I'll keep you posted when I get those pistons. The next thing would be to send  the block to a machine shop to bore it to oversize. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello hello and merry Christmas! I got a licence plate as a gift:

ddmxt9t-fcf2bf1d-1c17-48e5-8e03-d49c66a1

No update on the pistons yet. Wiseco side of things are messy, been waiting for 14 weeks and paid for expedited production run and no pistons in sight...

• Sad 1

Pistons will be in Europe next week Monday (apparently they were produced in the US), then they will be shipped to me via express shipping. So they might arrive next week Friday? Latest by week 4 I would guess (hype hype) 😄 

Edited by Atomic
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Press in or fully floating pins?

Not sure yet, I have been asking but no information given. Has been a rough one with this order. I need to get the crank, rods and pistons to balanced after and then re-bore the block

As long as you balance the piston and pins, rods with bearings and bolts individually to the lightest one it should be ok. Nissan balances the cranks separately so replacement parts don't upset the balance.

Custom made pistons are likely balanced. If using the stock rods they are for sure. Never hurts to check though.

• Like 1
Just now, datzenmike said:

As long as you balance the piston and pins, rods with bearings and bolts individually to the lightest one it should be ok. Nissan balances the cranks separately so replacement parts don't upset the balance.

Yes, that would be the intention. I will have the machine shop also check for if the bearing surfaces have something weird. I'm still unsure what caused that sound on cylinder nr. 4.

They all 'float' in the piston, I'm saying 'floating' in the rods as you will need C clips to keep the pin from working sideways and scoring the cylinder walls. I don't know what rods are being used. I honed my rods out with a wheel cylinder hone so the pins would slip in (just barely) so I could use KA24E 240sx pistons.

'89 KA24E pistons for floating pins.

tqoQ8vj.jpg

L20B rods honed so they 'float'.

EgflhsA.jpg

Oil hole for pin

Fs45VL0.jpg

PgNHF6p.jpg

12 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

They all 'float' in the piston, I'm saying 'floating' in the rods as you will need C clips to keep the pin from working sideways and scoring the cylinder walls. I don't know what rods are being used. I honed my rods out with a wheel cylinder hone so the pins would slip in (just barely) so I could use KA24E 240sx pistons.

'89 KA24E pistons for floating pins.

tqoQ8vj.jpg

L20B rods honed so they 'float'.

EgflhsA.jpg

Oil hole for pin

Fs45VL0.jpg

PgNHF6p.jpg

Yes wiseco makes them full floating on the pin and use c clips....

Pretty sure it was a slip fit in both the rod and the piston.   

So yes if he uses the stock rod he will have to size the small end.... 

I will use the New forged rods that i have pictures on previous pages 

9 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Yes wiseco makes them full floating on the pin and use c clips....

Pretty sure it was a slip fit in both the rod and the piston.   

So yes if he uses the stock rod he will have to size the small end.... 

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

I will use the New forged rods that i have pictures on previous pages 

Probably a good idea.... 

Have you checked anything with the rods? Mine were assembled and the bolts torqued then the big end was honed round and to size. My machine shop was the one who said to check that.... they even did a slight hone on the small end to achieve a better finish....

You may already know and/or have done this but I figure if you haven't its worth saying..... 

8 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Probably a good idea.... 

Have you checked anything with the rods? Mine were assembled and the bolts torqued then the big end was honed round and to size. My machine shop was the one who said to check that.... they even did a slight hone on the small end to achieve a better finish....

You may already know and/or have done this but I figure if you haven't its worth saying..... 

I'll let the guys at the machine shop to handle them and check dimensions. What I just tested with new pistons and pins they work great together, nice snug fit. 

• Like 1