I need to go faster and not pay the big bucks!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Throw that tach away or fix speedometer.... no way you can go 45 @ 3,000 RPMs in 4th. Find out which is wrong. Is your clutch slipping? are you perhaps in 3rd?

Have to ask... can you keep up with traffic? if you try? If keeping up with traffic what does your tach and speedometer say or is 45 your top speed?

First I would begin with making sure your L16 is putting out all it's designed to do.

Set valve lash

Replace plugs, wires, cap and rotor and points.

Now set timing

Check that secondary on carb is free to open

I've driven an L16 510 and they are FUN!!! Easily do highway speeds hell my L18 auto does 90 MPH.

A Weber will help that L16 a bit, well better than the Hitachi. at least with a Weber you get to play with the secondaries....And exhaust makes it sound more fun and breath better.

Single point dizzy with pertronix or a Matchbox.(Make sure Vac. advance and internal weights are working right).....And don't be afraid to Rev the shit out of it.

Tires are your gears also....my old wagon back in the 90's I had 205-50-13's.....low profile....No top end....took off the line quick.

Post up your ride!

I have been looking for l18/l20 but im broke. Im keeping up with traffic but im pushing my motor to hard i think and my temp is pretty high all the time. Im getting a new electric fan (Im putting a new harness in so im adding a fan in the project). How can I see about my timing?

check your temp with a drop in thermometer or an after market one

the guage might read high even though its running at 180 190

rev that thing up to 4000 even 5000 and more when you know its doing ok

but 4000 all day long

I personally would not consider throwing in a L20b cheap...a 5speed would be ,, cheaper ,, it would lower your RPMs at highway speed so it probably lower your temp also ( but you want it to run somewhat hot )..and when you save up a little switch out your stock head ( you never posted what you have, and it does matter,) for a bigger valved peanut with an L20b cam for a little better air flow..A stock Hitachi is more than good enough if it works correctly,, Weber might make more power but you cant just throw one on and expect it to work good without some fiddling..

i have a L16 with a 4speed ,, and if you can only get it to 45 mph your doing it wrong.....

• Like 1

Arent there some bs common quotes that could make this so much simpler? lol

Speed cost money, how fast do you want to go?

Speed cost money how fast can you spend?

Fast, Good, Cheap, pick two.

etc...

i had a lot of the same questions and curiousities as you.

and my solution is the response i gave you.

i was worried about heat, and 'pushing the engine too much.'

i was scared to go past 4k, until a few of the guys reassured me this engine

can do 5.5-6k all day (there just isnt any power up there)

and the stock cooling system is pretty good. are you running stock fan and shroud?

using my wisdom from the 240sx community, electric fans ARE NOT an improvement, and sometimes a

downgrade, especially without a shroud. electric fans are more beneficial for guys squeezing in bigger engines

with less room.

also, when i went from 195/75/14s to 215/40/16s (25.5" diameter to 22.75")

there was a noticeable difference in acceleration.

A five speed won't go faster than a 4 speed. You have to have the power to go fast.

Can't afford a new motor ? can you afford this....

First I would begin with making sure your L16 is putting out all it's designed to do.

Set valve lash

Replace plugs, wires, cap and rotor and points.

Now set timing

Check that secondary on carb is free to open

I've driven an L16 510 and they are FUN!!! Easily do highway speeds hell my L18 auto does 90 MPH.

Make the most of what you have.

I have been looking for l18/l20 but im broke. Im keeping up with traffic but im pushing my motor to hard i think and my temp is pretty high all the time. Im getting a new electric fan (Im putting a new harness in so im adding a fan in the project). How can I see about my timing?

Define 'temp is pretty high'. Half way up the gauge is ok. Fix the problem, not install a fan. The system is designed to work without an electric fan. Maybe your timing is out and fixing that will lower the temp????

Highway speed is no where near pushing your motor. The L series will run all day at 6K if it's full of water and oil. Tune it up.

I want a HOT woman with BIG breasts that dont cost money either!!!!!!!!!!

If you got no fucking money. Just leave it alone.

People dont tell you a L20 needs a different clutch set up. You got money for that?

exhaust might need modified? is the L20 good ect.....

45mph at 3 k soulds like a automatic but you say 4th gear so I assume its a 4 speed manual.

a weber aDGV on a L16 should be OK so either your used to newer cars or just dont know L motors.

as for th new harness staement. What you mean? . You going to but in a whole new harness?why????

A electric fan just needs a relay and some wiring. At speed you shouldnt need a fan anyways. If still hot you got soemthing else wrong. Ck the lower hose for collaspe when you rev up the motor. Might be sqeezing down esp at higher speeds.

But try another thermos stat. maybe buy a 3 core rad. ck your timming with a timming light.

clean the contack at the thermosat sender

the early pre 91s I think model subi diffs were 3.70 gear ratio can buy those cheap esp the non Limited slip ones

Your original post is too vague. Are you looking to make the car faster, as in, dropping the revs so you can cruise better on the highway? Or making it accelerate quicker?

Long story short, with no money you can't do anything.

If you want t drop the revs, you'll need a 5 speed and possibly a different differential. But that's in the $400 range for both.

If you want more acceleration, you'll need to lose the L-16. You'll never get any power out of it without a massive investment. Even an L20 with a Weber isn't fast, it's just not as slow as the L-16. But any engine swap is going to set you back $500 and up, and then you'll want the 5 speed and diff. So wait a while, do more research, and save your money. Likely you'll be dumping a few grand into the car.