• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thouse are my dads toys one is a 66 mustang coupe with a 200 6 cyl and the other is his 68 firebird with a 400 and turbo 400 ill snap some pics when i get a chance thanks for the comments i got the truck for $500 with everything there i couldnt resist

yeah im hunting down parts now but zerow has a rad suport i can get then i just need the hood and valance

I'll be getting the pictures, measurements for the rad support when I go to the house on Saturday.

Yeah....valence. Wherever you are, I hope you're happy.

• 2 weeks later...

here are the pics of my dads toys the mustang he has had since defore i was born and he got the firebird with the insurence money from one of the times the mustang was hit he fixed the stand with junkyard parts and still had money left :D the stang needs all new fuel lines and a brake over haul and the firbird has 2 dead holes and a bad tranny but they will be fixed some day and before any one asks hes not selling :D

dadsstang.jpg

dadsbird.jpg

if you mean the stovebolt 235 with the single ronchester then yes and the engine is painted blue

edit:just looked it up the only difference is that mine doesnt have the center bolt valve coverbut otherwise its almost identical as a matter of fact thats the only difference i see here is a pic of mine

motor.jpg

My dad's '51 Chev had almost the same engine but they ran with NO oil pump.

Around '53 they started using them and had outboard oil filters like the round thing behind your carb and clamped to the intake with lines going to it. Later they designed the filter into the block.

Before oil filters, cranks and rods were splash oiled like a lawn mower. The crank counterweights had tiny 'scoops' that scooped oil up into internal galleries and on up to the valve train at the top of the motor. Using just the force of the crank splashing in the oil pushed it up there. Unbelievable, but it worked. Oil pressure? probably 3-4 lbs?

It was absolutely critical that the oil level stay up or the crank would go dry. There was no way to clean the oil so it had to be changed often. To keep dirt off the bearing surfaces, NON-detergent oils were used and the dirt allowed to settle to the bottom of the pan or onto the block surfaces. These motors would collect 1/2 inch of gunk on them and you would be very lucky to get 100k miles out of them. Very lucky.

Once oil pumps were in use everything changed. Now there was a way to filter the oil so you wanted the dirt to stay suspended in the oil and detergent oils were used. Now motors ran on filtered oil under pressure and bearing life prolonged and protected. Indeed this allowed GM to start putting major hp into the new small block V8s they were making.

Btw, many an old motor was destroyed by mistakenly using a detergent oil in them. The gunk would wash off the block and grind up the bearings or plug oil lines.