Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Going CV next?

I would like to but the budget is just not there at the moment :(

Awww. I have an extra one if u want it

Yes I do!  :D

:thumbup: .....I need an SR.......

He usually carries spares......

...........don't know why you didn't this time........he hordes axles for this purpose.....

How many is this now??

This is the first actual halfshaft failure, the previous 2 times were u-joint failures.  :devil:  I didn't even bring my tools to the track!  Had I brought tools I am sure nothing bad would have happened.

See what you get for driving in a straight line?  What kind of ET's were you running?

I have a couple extra if you're in need.  Let me know.

Yeah for real.  I forgot to power up the boost, I ran my auto-x power level and ran 13.1 then 13.0 at 109 and 110.  My R/T and 60' times were terrible. 

I need all the spares I can get!  I am just glad that after the last time I broke a u-joint I rerouted the brake line so it was able to survive this.

i haven't run into this yet, im hoping wider rears doesn't make it a common thing for me.

do they usually snap at the splines and not the u-joint?

It is going to happen if you have torque and tires!  I busted 2 outer u-joints in the past this is the first shaft fail.

Time to edit some footie...

• Like 1

im running a stock sr20det redtop and previously has 155/55r14s that i could spin for days without enough traction to break anything. Just stepped up to 205s but haven't driven it yet (still working out front suspension). Hopefully i fair alright. I get some vibe from being so slammed so i'd like to go CV anyways.

hard to even figure out the cost with all the options. Ideally i want an r180 clutch type LSD and CVs, but it'll probably cost a dime full of cash to get there, and doing it step by step seems like a waste :(

• Like 1

I started breaking u-joints when I went from a 175/70R13 to the 195/50R15's (Falken 912's!) on 8" wheels.  The way to go in my opinion is a DriveshaftShop.com CV kit that includes the STi inner stub.  Don't quote me but I heard it's around $1100...

bummmer….. there is a guy on craiglist selling a pair for $50 bucks each - sent antony the link since I don't have your number...

Looks like its time for an STI R180 swap and some CVs. Not cheap but definitely worth while. Although pay attention to the gear ratios… don't know what your running

• Like 1

Awesome vids!! Did you have any clue it was the half shaft when it happened?

Yeah I knew right away it was axle related.  I almost expected it to break.  Wheel hop then bang!

bummmer….. there is a guy on craiglist selling a pair for $50 bucks each - sent antony the link since I don't have your number...

Looks like its time for an STI R180 swap and some CVs. Not cheap but definitely worth while. Although pay attention to the gear ratios… don't know what your running

It was a bummer but really could have been a lot worse.  The car already has the STi CLSD I just need the CV kit.  I am going to look into Mattndew's adapters; that may be moar cost effective than the DSS kit since I already have the inner stubs...

It seems that a few friends have me covered for spares in the meantime :D  Thanks guys.  Ratsun is life!!!

• Like 1

Crappy oics but... 

19B9F173-C556-4594-BA6C-6A04B3B652CD_zps

09071015-1194-4B72-8588-B998847F475D_zps

I ended up taking one of my spare 260Z? axles apart, replaced the u joints, and swapped the one piece inner yoke/ stub out for the 510 style yoke. 

No moar drag racing!   (till cv's :devil: )

Autocross is tomorrow, stay tuned for some videos. :D

• Like 4

The course was awesome.  Probably the most fun layout I have driven in the 7 events I have been to with ESCA.

The first 3 ^ runs were the official timed laps.  The next 5 videos are the afternoon 'Fun Runs'.  Some I got times on and some I didn't but I didn't really keep track of them. 

Lots of sliding around a couple spins and an off...

• Like 2

That's awesome! I can't help but notice the camera location is just perfect to watch some shifting action... 

Your car looks like its working pretty well though. What are your next upgrades or thing that you plan to work on to go faster?

Andrew 

• Like 1

I made sure the shift action would be recorded ;) .  In the 5th video my shift knob goes flying, it has been falling apart for a while so I just ordered a new knob from FutoFab the other day.

The car is working pretty well.  I have been messing around with tire pressures and it seems to feel best with about 30-32 psi up front and 28 psi in the back.  Other than moar seat time for the driver I think figuring out how to achieve a quicker steering setup would be  nice.

July19AX2_zps17130323.jpg

July19AX1_zps213195b9.jpg

• Like 1

I've read a number of places that a 210 gearbox.....now I can't remember if it's a B210 or B310 gearbox.....will bolt up and give you less turns lock to lock......

............but don't quote me on this......haven't done much research on this lately.......but it's something I will be looking into.....

• Like 1

I've read a number of places that a 210 gearbox.....now I can't remember if it's a B210 or B310 gearbox.....will bolt up and give you less turns lock to lock......

99% sure they both do, but I've personally done it with a B310 box. And since the B210 shares a lot in common with the 510 it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it did too. 

• Like 2

It's good and bad when you know that seat time is the best way to improve. Good because the car works and your wallet doesn't seem to hurt as much....bad because you know your driving skills aren't as good as you always thought they were!

Andrew

• Like 1

i've been there for a while haha. Last year i autocrossed my 73 porsche 914 and 95 nsx. Both mid engined. Porsche has ~80hp, some skinny tall 400 treadwear all seasons, and weighs about 2klbs. Nsx has 370ish (supercharged), wider, much stickier tires, and ~3k lbs. And i put down better times in the 914 cause its harder to overdrive it and i have more seat time in it. Just means i suck haha. I'm amped up to try out the 510 if i can ever make it to an event.

• Like 1

Man, that course looked fun!  I heard from other people that it was one of the better ones they had run as well.  Bummed I missed out.

You're getting faster though.  Psyched to see another 510 up in the results.

• Like 2

99% sure they both do, but I've personally done it with a B310 box. And since the B210 shares a lot in common with the 510 it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it did too.

Do u know what years?