Sh!ts and Giggles 510

510T

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I had to take care of some maintenance before this Sunday's autocross.  Number 1 on the list was my annual AMSOIL oil change.  If anyone remembers or reads back through, last year when changing the oil I noticed there was some mysterious loose metal object in the pan.  Content to let it be, I never dropped the pan to investigate.  Everything seemed to be working just fine.  When I put the drain plug back in today and was reminded of my issue, I could not let it be any longer. The pan had to come off.  What did I find?  A typical SR20 problem.  The pick up tube strainer had broken off and was floating around in the pan. :hmm: How long had I been driving it like that?  Who knows... I am glad I had bought the upgrade S14 pickup all those years ago and now was the time to put it in.

That aint right:

P1050114_zpsb832890a.jpg

Uhhhh...

P1050113_zps3ddcd054.jpg

All better:

P1050115_zps01998a26.jpg

Junk:

D40A44A4-E497-4AED-A9BE-873760FD2CCE_zps

• Like 1

....no....that aint right......

But you're always prepared :ph34r:

I try to be B)

Today I finally found the time to install the flares for real.  What a process!  First I marked and drilled the flares.  Next I re-adjusted the fitment on the body.  Then taped them up as well as possible, and drilled pilot holes in the body.  After that I removed the flares and drilled out the body holes for the rivnuts.  Installing the rivnuts was cake.  I only buggered and had to redo 1.  After that it was time to loosely bolt them on.  Screw>rubber backed washer>flare>rubber washer>body.  When they were loosely attached I readied the welting.  I cut notches out of it to make the bends and larger notches to clear the bolts.  After that was tucked in I tightened up all the bolts and DONE!  For today anyways,  I still need to cut the flares in half to open the doors and then paint them to match the body.

OICS:

55B084BA-204B-4844-8B0D-B2411C48FBFD_zps

54456A6C-2EB1-47AC-8113-D1F03895AFF6_zps

C5AF2FE4-7A72-44C9-BF61-9567157E3196_zps

AE5E311A-0089-40A0-BFB6-C5B3DAC7C800_zps

483DC560-70E4-466F-98EB-929854114E29_zps

I am into it :)

I have some tentative plans with another ratsun member to get the tubs welded up soon, hopefully next week.  This will be fine for the autocross on Sunday though :D

I will get the fronts on when I get some moar $$$ for tires.  I plan to run the 6" wide steelies with 205 Rivals on the front for now.  Those will go on tamale...

I think Lagunitas is calling my name...

• Like 5

Looks f'n great!!

Good work man :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I agree with Demo on leaving them black......but like he said......it'll look frikin' awesome either way............

.....and is this speak of raising the front :confused: ...............moar lowar!!!!

• Like 2

Thanks guys! 

New rear tires taller, or did it have that much rake before? 

After thinking about it for a bit, the 225/45's are a few millimeters taller than the 195/50's.  When I put the 205/50's on up front it should help.

Looks great man! I can dig it. Instead of raising the front how bout lowering the rear

Visually it would be nice to lower it moar, I have to wait until the tubs are done to see how much room will be there.  I would need CV axles too, these old half shafts don't get along with the angle as it is ;)

Where the vid??

Run 1:

55.79 seconds

th_March9Run1_zps8e5e538d.jpg

Run 2:

53.25 seconds

th_March9Run2_zpsdc766532.jpg

Run 3 and final timed run:

51.20 seconds

th_March9Run3_zpsbf93d5a5.jpg

Barring 2 cone-crashing DNF runs right after lunch I improved relatively consistently throughout the day :)  My 7th and final run I got a 49.42,  I was trying to break into the 49's all day! :D

Overall it was a great day driving fast (or trying to ;)).

Just an Idea, why not extend the Grille to the outer headlights? since i see what looks to be inter-cooler piping.

either way i love this car man! great job!

While I do like this idea,  I have been lagging about getting my grill together.  I have one of CorAce's repro plastic grills that is patiently awaiting some attention.  Shooting to get that put on by Canby...

• Like 2

That was indeed after cutting the fenders.  I was a little worried that the flares might crack if there happened to be any body flexing happening.  I never felt or noticed any body flex or twist and the flares have not had any cracking or other issues.  The doors have also remained aligned as they were.  These little cars are stout ;).