I cannot enjoy my truck with drum brakes

whitey01

Hey everyone,

I am almost a 50 year old, cranky, mean person that no one likes. They say I am negative, full of gloom and doom. Anyway, I cannot enjoy my datsun pick up truck with front drum brakes. There is to much stress in in bumper to bumper traffic I need to have disc in the front. This is way over my head; I cannot do this my self. Is there a shop that can do this right? First choice: SF bay area; 2nd: Sacramento; 3rd, LA. I'm willing to pay a fair price; just not willing to over pay,

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im sure any shop that specializes in Z cars can do it. z shops are more common than 'regular ol datsun' kinda shops.

you could buy the kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-521-620-Truck-New-Front-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Set-Kit-Stainless-Hoses-/400315794794?hash=item5d34ae456a&item=400315794794&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

if you look hard enough or piece the kit together yourself you can get it cheaper than that.

my kit so far with brackets, rotors, calipers, and lines is around half that ^

and then pay them to install it for you, that way they cant upcharge you on parts.

however, there are a lot of fine gents that im sure wouldnt mind helping you out in person.

Drum brakes work just fine in a stock Datsun truck. Just like anything else they need to be adjusted rite. Take it as is to a brake shop if you cant do it yourself & have them fix them accordingly. Good luck bro.

Been drivng drum brake Datsuns for years.. Both of my datsuns I have now are drum brakes.. I have no issues with them.. they stop when I push the pedal...and isnt that what they are suppose to do....But to each there own I suppose...!!!

it looks to me as if he has already made up his mind. and if he has the money to do it......

i mean, he did say he is 50 and the older we get the more we are set in our ways, huh (stubborn)

...i jest. but anyways

sure drum brakes work fine and do what theyre supposed to but unless someone can chime in with something along the lines of

"converting to disc brakes IS NOT more effective" i feel as if you fine gentlemen are just "wasting your breath"

one thing i forgot to point out is that you have to run larger (diameter) wheels to fit the conversion. i think a minimum of 15" not sure but

Bee might chime in. wheel spacers might also be required to clear the brakes depending on the inside design of the wheel face

Guest Rick-rat

Check the pinned thread in brakes section, putting discs on king pin trucks. The fronts are really pretty easy to do. I used the Beebani brackets for my conversion

im sure any shop that specializes in Z cars can do it. z shops are more common than 'regular ol datsun' kinda shops.

you could buy the kit: http://www.ebay.com/...ssories&vxp=mtr

if you look hard enough or piece the kit together yourself you can get it cheaper than that.

my kit so far with brackets, rotors, calipers, and lines is around half that ^

and then pay them to install it for you, that way they cant upcharge you on parts.

however, there are a lot of fine gents that im sure wouldnt mind helping you out in person.

Swap a disc front end on?

Drum brakes work just fine in a stock Datsun truck. Just like anything else they need to be adjusted rite. Take it as is to a brake shop if you cant do it yourself & have them fix them accordingly. Good luck bro.

Been drivng drum brake Datsuns for years.. Both of my datsuns I have now are drum brakes.. I have no issues with them.. they stop when I push the pedal...and isnt that what they are suppose to do....But to each there own I suppose...!!!

it looks to me as if he has already made up his mind. and if he has the money to do it......

i mean, he did say he is 50 and the older we get the more we are set in our ways, huh (stubborn)

...i jest. but anyways

sure drum brakes work fine and do what theyre supposed to but unless someone can chime in with something along the lines of

"converting to disc brakes IS NOT more effective" i feel as if you fine gentlemen are just "wasting your breath"

one thing i forgot to point out is that you have to run larger (diameter) wheels to fit the conversion. i think a minimum of 15" not sure but

Bee might chime in. wheel spacers might also be required to clear the brakes depending on the inside design of the wheel face

Thanks Everyone I am trying this multiquote thing I know I right like a caveman Ugg Ugg!!

Dawa Would I need anything else like a master brake Cyclinder My Wheels are 15 teens

Thanks DatDoug

1lo620 I am getting older there is 10 Million people in a 50 mile raduis My datsun is just sitting for 2years i want to drive it I could spend a little to get it on the road more

you CAN upgrade you master cylinder, but from what ive read,

a lot of guys dont do the upgrade if they are just converting the FRONTs from drum to disc.

i think the 280zx is the master cylinder they use?

here is what you should read, what Rick-rat keeps talkin about http://community.ratsun.net/topic/20432-disc-brake-installed-on-a-drum-brake-truck/

There are so many disc brake conversion threads here.

Just take your time reading; wrapping your mind around it.

If you can partially swing a ratchet-you can do every bit of the work yourself.

As for a master cylinder, stay stock or use one from a 78-79 620.

Those 620's came disc/drum-so the bias/proportioning will be correct.

Swap a disc front end on?

If you cut the frameoff a '78-'79 behind the torsion bar mounts under the cab and weld it on, you could. If you could swap LCAs and spindles/rotors easily it would have been done. Nothing about the disc brake fronts is like the drum brake fronts.

If you cut the frameoff a '78-'79 behind the torsion bar mounts under the cab and weld it on, you could. If you could swap LCAs and spindles/rotors easily it would have been done. Nothing about the disc brake fronts is like the drum brake fronts.

ahhh, good to know

I had too many scary moments in traffic, then I converted to disc and was never happier and confident the truck would stop. Even with the stock MC.

Btw Whitey, I just turned 48 and you need to find someway to 'be' other than grumpy, lol ! It'll just get you and everyone else around you down and it's actually bad for your health.

I worked with a guy that complained all day about EVERYTHING and he was LOUD about it ! I was so glad he retired a few years ago, it was like a ray of sunshine finally came into the building.

It's easy to turn into a 24/7 complainer the older you get, the hard part is finding (and expressing) the positive in everything and everyone around you. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Btw Whitey, I just turned 48 and you need to find someway to 'be' other than grumpy, lol ! It'll just get you and everyone else around you down and it's actually bad for your health.

I worked with a guy that complained all day about EVERYTHING and he was LOUD about it ! I was so glad he retired a few years ago, it was like a ray of sunshine finally came into the building.

It's easy to turn into a 24/7 complainer the older you get, the hard part is finding (and expressing) the positive in everything and everyone around you. Good luck.

this

Hey everyone,

I am almost a 50 year old, cranky, mean person that no one likes. They say I am negative, full of gloom and doom. Anyway, I cannot enjoy my datsun pick up truck with front drum brakes. There is to much stress in in bumper to bumper traffic I need to have disc in the front. This is way over my head; I cannot do this my self. Is there a shop that can do this right? First choice: SF bay area; 2nd: Sacramento; 3rd, LA. I'm willing to pay a fair price; just not willing to over pay,

Properly adjusted the drums will stop you just as well as disc. Easy enough to adjust them. The advantage of discs are in fewer parts, easier to change the pads, need little maintenance, no adjusting and can brake repeatedly under high loads without brake fade.

Stress in bumper to bumper traffic???? Try leaving 10 min earlier and take your time. Drive the speed limit, stop trying to keep up, leave lots of space between you and the guy ahead, if other idiots cut into this space just slow and give them space. We live in a time of everyone in a hurry, for what? to get to a job we don't particularly like that much? And then race home??? Whats the rush? Who said you have to hurry? Anticipate cars slowing and lights changing. Try to drive by letting the car coast up to a stop and use the brake sparingly. It takes an effort but with practice your mind set changes and driving becomes easier and less of an imagined competition.