What I'm working with!

uberkevin

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The diff didn't lock up. Billions of cars a year lock up their rear brakes and the transmissions don't explode.

Usually the gas peddle is released when the breaks lock up. I'm envisioning a situation with high torque from the crank and instant resistance from the drive shaft. Just a guess though. I accept the improbability. Go get laid.

20140825_183740_zpssfu0htcd.jpg

But I've got this to fix things. :)

20140825_193012_zpspsnnmaay.jpg

Today I hammered out the ujoint to put the 720 slip yoke onto the 520 one piece. Since the ujoint is bran new, I just reused the one I had put on a few week back at a shop. Ha. However i bent one of the U clips so I'll be getting a new ujoint. Haha

20141101_164145_zpsbka4wxms.jpg

Well there's the 720 front spline. So where's the U joint?

My guess is the yoke on the 520 driveshaft was cracked and let go. The driveshaft would immediately go off center and the intense vibration shook the tail off the transmission. I see the trans mount stayed in place so the rest of the transmission and the driveshaft swung around in a circle a few times hitting the torsion bar anchor bolt (bending it) and the mainshaft bent about the same time. The driveshaft finally shook itself loose from the 720 spline. 

I did some rough calculations using some assumptions so if anyone here is an expert at this please correct my poor math.

At 50 MPH the driveshaft is spinning at about 3200 RPMs

I'm guessing the driveshaft is about 2.5 to 2.75" diameter.

The relative centrifugal force can be calculated using... radius X 11.18 X (RPM/1000) 2

I get about 400 gravities. So if just one pound is out of balance that's the same as a 400 pound weight swinging around on the end of the transmission 3,200 times a minute. Again, if someone is more expert at this I have no problem learning more about this event. 

Now you, DMike probably fucken nailed it.. wow.

I'll be taking alot more photos.

Just been up for what seems like two days...

The 521 is now at Bananas place, lz out and ready for a tranny to be bolted on and put back in... let's hope I kept my stock tranny mount is my big parts box...

Gotta change some motor mounts... solder up another radiator... get another fan.... inspect the sound coming from the back wheel.. probably don't need the 4° shims in.. oh it looked like part of the shim bent down into my 3in block...

Need sleep... but won't get home tell 630 probably.. This morning when I got home at 7 I turned my truck around by my self...

Look at any broken metal parts. If there was a pre existing crack the surface will likely be rusty or in the case of aluminum, dull or dirty. Only the freshly broken metal will be shiny.

The drive shaft is only a theory. I figure there was nothing seized looking in the transmission and no reason to 'explode'. I know driveshafts that are even remotely out of balance vibrate like hell. 

• Like 1

As I recall, the driveline was balanced without the yoke, the yoke was put on afterwards, then a clip was lost, so a used clip was used after I suggested using an old one, as I have a couple drivelines with used clips on them, I actually have a couple drivelines with used U-joints on them because I could not get a new one on Sunday, I am now wondering about the advise I gave about that.

If that used clip came out..................... :(

Wayno I hear you. I would think it would take a while for the cap to work it's way out and fall off. I mean you really have to hammer them to get them out. A freshly changed one might be slightly easier. Once it started moving the balance would be off and it would vibrate bad. (you would feel it if not hear it above the exhaust) 

Mhmm... I'm not saying it was the used clip but that is another something that could have made this happen...

The only other thing I was thinking about is the bushing that banana and I hammered back in, well that thing doesn't just inch it's way out by its self.. A vibration or something had to have been pushing it out or vibrating it out wards.. After we pushed it in maybe the times that I was drive made it inch back out... or fuck idk.. A number of things it could be..

Wayno nailed it!!!

Don't believe my diff locked up.. maybe for a sec while shit was hitting the fan... floor borad.

The rearend is next...

If someone was to be as reckless lolz