TURTLE POWER!!!

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

"What ever do you mean? You see the 2 small scraps of bubble wrap? They were sitting wadded on top of the pile of rubble that was in that incredibly undersized box.. that should have been sufficient protection for shipping from the other side of the world."

- The seller.

facepalm_227785.jpg

The best part about all this is that he charged me $80 for shipping. Right on the shipping box it says plain as day, "Shipping cost: $50". I guess he dipped into the packing materials budget and pocketed the $30. "Nobody will ever know the difference, right?" Absolute bullshit.

I just read this whole thread. You have really done some great work on this car. I almost rescued a coupe from Dale's auto wrecking in Oregon City back in the 80's. I couldn't quite get the guy to sell it whole,& it had no engine or transmission. Your detail about the automatic makes me want to find one. My old '73 180b 4 door was an automatic. It would pull you into the seats when it shifted,& was a pretty quick car. I regretted selling it almost imediately,& even more when I found it abandonded in downtown O.C.,after someone had cut it's engine out with a torch. Made me sick to see it that way!

That really sucks about all that shipping damage!! I hope the seller has another one to replace the one they apparently put through a shredder before they sent it to you.

• Like 1

Man, that's a nightmare! Especially since it was an international shipment. It takes so long for the package to arrive, and then to have it dropped on your doorstep in such awful condition.

If there's any good news... it does at least look like you have most of the bits that make up a dashboard... and this plastic does glue/melt back together nicely with this kind of plastic glue to make a joint that is almost invisible if you're careful (the water-thin clear stuff like this:)

AmbroidProWeldBottle_wm.jpg

- heck, if it would help you out I'll even volunteer to take a stab at piecing it back together for you. I like puzzles. And I work with plastics and stuff for a livin'.  http://willkrause.com/skills/props-3d-interactives/ )

• Like 1

Thank you Will, that's incredibly nice of you. Unfortunately, there are so many small pieces, that I think it would be next to impossible to form the puzzle. Not to mention that since the box wasn't entirely sealed, I'm sure many of the pieces fell through the cracks. Looks like I'll have to hold out for another one to come along, or just bag the idea altogether. Thanks, though :)

• Like 1

Dam man...that just bring a tear to my eye...I take it the top pic was the before pic of the dash right? Ebay seller I take it, god dam that a-hole...those the people you just wish you could reach through you computer screen and strangle on the side ya know?

It does seem like a lost cause but maybe you can save something out of it? I think was on the right track, you could always repair what you have and try to rebuild a new one of out fiberglass? Yeah it would be a lot of work but I'm betting you paid a lot of money for that dash...dam what a shame!

Edit: After looking at the pics again, just salvage everything you can and hope another comes along. You at least got your money back right?

Thank you Will, that's incredibly nice of you. Unfortunately, there are so many small pieces, that I think it would be next to impossible to form the puzzle. Not to mention that since the box wasn't entirely sealed, I'm sure many of the pieces fell through the cracks. Looks like I'll have to hold out for another one to come along, or just bag the idea altogether. Thanks, though :)

No problem - let me know if you change your mind - it would be rewarding to get that back in one piece.

When my 160JSSS gauges were send from Malaysia they were really poorly packed too - and the box got dropped hard enough to make some cracks in the plastic and shatter the needles off of the gauges!

I received some goodies in the mail today :)

CAM00775_zpsfc757ad3.jpg

CAM00776_zpsc069f16e.jpg

This is something I have been dreading for a while, now.. forming new fuel lines to run the length of the 610. I get nervous about forming lines, whether brake or fuel lines. I know there are ways of bending lines using either a bending tool, filling the tube with sand/salt, or using one of those coils around the bends, but still.. it's something I've always struggled with. Perhaps it's the perfectionist in me that won't "leave good enough alone" that makes me unhappy with the lines I've done in the past, even though they've always worked fine.

Gotta get over it.

Also, I did a little modifying to my full-sized jig..

CAM00770_zpseed2e66d.jpg

... made a little more room where the battery used to go ;)

So I'm going back and forth on what to do about fuel delivery in the car.. I had Draynor pick me up a 300zx fuel tank with pump at the wrecking yard(you da man), but quickly realized that modifying the 610 fuel tank to accept the pump wouldn't be as easily done as in a 510.

In the 510 fuel tank, there are no baffles to work around, so it's a nice and easy cut and graft in the fuel pump mounting ring. Bolt in, done. On the 610 tank, however, the are factory installed baffles that run the width and the length of the tank. Quite an awesome feature, unless of course you're trying to install an in tank pump meant for EFI. The white dots marked on the tank illustrate the location of the baffles.

20140321_184758_zpsb3cc8da5.jpg

As you can see, the baffles pretty much run down the center of the tank, exactly where I would be wanting to install the pump. In order to leave enough metal around the mounting ring to allow for proper welding, it would be about a 7 1/2" diameter ring.

20140321_184833_zps3c15db32.jpg

Due to the restrictions that this amount of space requires for a proper mounting surface, I am fairly limited on where I can install the pump. Though the pictures don't show it well, there is a slope on the backside of the tank that prevents me from having much freedom in moving the mounting location front to back. Side to side would be my only real area where I could pick and choose.

20140321_184814_zps20825c47.jpg

20140321_184747_zps3fdc849b.jpg

Unlike the 510 fuel tank, however, the 610 fuel system is fed through the bottom of the tank via gravity. In the 510, there are tubes that enter from the top and pull from the bottom of the tank. The 610 feed line as viewed from the bottom of the tank..

CAM00781_zps57fd52f7.jpg

If I could cut this out and weld in a larger diameter line(from 1/4" to 5/16"), then I could run an external fuel pump. The problem with this is, is that I would probably want some kind of surge tank to keep from starving the fuel system in a hard cornering/low fuel level situation.. I suppose I could weld on a small reservoir that would dip below the floor of the tank, just enough to keep the feed feed continuously submerged, but right now I just need to decide which route will be best.

I welded a 3/8 bung or nut dead center in rear center of tank close to spare tire area , I was thinking of a 16 ounce surge tank under car , made out of aluminum ,in line, my donor is a small fire extinguishers that I will boil out and weld two aluminum #6 an male fittings to go in my 3/8 line before pump, and after pump 5/16 ez bend tubing feeding almost stock sr. Will try and post pics of Orange 610 with spider webs.

Why not use the existing feed on the right side of the tank along with pre-existing hole in trunk? Any specific reason? Is it just to keep it centered where the fuel will be mostly, rather than off to one side that is more than likely to starve during hard cornering?

So that means you're going to cut a hole in the body then, as well?  What are you going to use the feed for then?

Yes tank has a slight dip in center ,on 610 I drilled and tapped drain for oring 90 3/8 degree fitting ,and my 510 has same center hole when on gas it has a face full ,and I have no surge tank and only when less than 1/8 tank and hit brakes does it aireate slightly , I welded (silver pre brazed rod) a 1/4 to5/16 for return side I used stock feed side on tank ,I will start working on orange car soon again have remote oil filter done ,working on gauges now . and the name turtle power makes me want to post screwing turtles again .104_1666.jpg[104_1665.jpg[]104_1667.jpg[[url=http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/Alleycatgarage/media/104_1595-2.jpg.html]104_1595-2.jpg[url=http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/All

I checked out my tank today and saw the small dip in the back around the drain plug.. I may run my feed out through the drain plug like you did and do a small tank below.. not quite a surge tank, but something to keep me from going dry and aerating at hard braking like you experienced. Thanks for sharing your great idea.

And yeah, turtles gotta get some, too

I want my remote surge tank ,16 ounce under car ,try not to weld any more on tank ,and my car without surge tank is my 510 without baffles drives fine really !,I think 610 would be much better with factory baffles ! I think baffles were for JDM model with FI. in 73+ and only when at red lights hardish braking my pump slight aerates , so run stock tank and try it I want a 610 tank also but Zerow sold already !

• Like 1