TURTLE POWER!!!

a little late on the lowering discussion but here is my 2 bits. While many cars look great lower, handling can suffer if lowered too much.

How I feel exactly.

I think "slammed" has been over done. It's been adopted that unless your car is on it's balls, you're doing it wrong. I lowered my 76', and while most Oooo'd and Ahhh'd, I'm thinking.. "Shit, I went overboard and now I look like a friggin' clown." I still need to make it right...

Photo577.jpg

while this looks great I am sure the handling suffers from being lowered too much. Always remember function over form, suspension travel is there for a reason.

• Like 1
  • Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Decided it was time to clean up the wheels on this girl a little bit. Took a can of Eagle One aluminum polishing swab and started in last night. Here's a wheel that's 1/2 done.
Photo2717.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the results so far. It was my fear that I was going to have to wet sand em to get all that aluminum oxide to go away, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Now, if only there was a way to buff out that curb rash...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Been a while since an update.. looks like it's getting a little restless in here..

Haven't done a WHOLE lot besides drive her, but a month or so ago, I was able to lay my hands on a 73' clock. Unfortunately, it wasn't working. I later found out through a series of tests, and ultimately dissection, that it was a weakened motor inside the clock that was the culprit. Since I was pretty dead set on having a factory, year-specific clock in my car, I had to take 2 clocks and make a working one. It ended up being quite an ordeal, but sometimes, that's how science(worthwhile science, that is) takes place.

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I took this picture, but I had planned to do a write up on rebuilding a clock. Here's a terrible pic of the face of the 73' clock(1 year only).

Photo2778.jpg

The organ donor(74-75' blue face clock):

Photo2782.jpg

Some pics of the surgery..

Photo2783.jpg

Photo2784.jpg

Photo2789.jpg

Photo2779.jpg

Pics of the heart.. the precious heart..

Photo2780.jpg

Photo2781.jpg

You really don't realize and can't appreciate how intricate and amazing these old car clocks are on the inside without busting one open. I am very impressed at the detail and craftsmanship displayed in our "cheap" little cars.

It took many hours getting everything put back together just right(which is why I aborted the write-up).. I don't think these were meant to be taken apart(atleast not by the average bear), and probably shouldn't be attempted if you're faint at heart, prone to frustration or are bad at keeping track of tiny parts as well as remembering where they go. Even putting it back together correctly, there were small springs and other components that if not placed in an EXACT fashion, the clock would eventually hang up and stick in one spot. I had to go back about a half a dozen times in order to finally get it to run the full 12 hours without binding or hanging up and stopping. All in all, I'm happy with the result. I'm tellin' time, just like they did it back in 73' baby!

Photo2797.jpg

• Like 1

Ahhh man ... Taking the time and nerve doing this just shows the love and appreciation and respect you have for your ride.

I wouldnt have tried to fix any of my clocks as I don't have the nerve for small items. I've watched watch makers and similiar items going through the process.

I also have sausage links for fingers :lol:

Nice to see the pics :cool:

Been a while since an update.. looks like it's getting a little restless in here..

Haven't done a WHOLE lot besides drive her, but a month or so ago, I was able to lay my hands on a 73' clock. Unfortunately, it wasn't working. I later found out through a series of tests, and ultimately dissection, that it was a weakened motor inside the clock that was the culprit. Since I was pretty dead set on having a factory, year-specific clock in my car, I had to take 2 clocks and make a working one. It ended up being quite an ordeal, but sometimes, that's how science(worthwhile science, that is) takes place.

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I took this picture, but I had planned to do a write up on rebuilding a clock. Here's a terrible pic of the face of the 73' clock(1 year only).

Photo2778.jpg

The organ donor(74-75' blue face clock):

Photo2782.jpg

Some pics of the surgery..

Photo2783.jpg

Photo2784.jpg

Photo2789.jpg

Photo2779.jpg

Pics of the heart.. the precious heart..

Photo2780.jpg

Photo2781.jpg

You really don't realize and can't appreciate how intricate and amazing these old car clocks are on the inside without busting one open. I am very impressed at the detail and craftsmanship displayed in our "cheap" little cars.

It took many hours getting everything put back together just right(which is why I aborted the write-up).. I don't think these were meant to be taken apart(atleast not by the average bear), and probably shouldn't be attempted if you're faint at heart, prone to frustration or are bad at keeping track of tiny parts as well as remembering where they go. Even putting it back together correctly, there were small springs and other components that if not placed in an EXACT fashion, the clock would eventually hang up and stick in one spot. I had to go back about a half a dozen times in order to finally get it to run the full 12 hours without binding or hanging up and stopping. All in all, I'm happy with the result. I'm tellin' time, just like they did it back in 73' baby!

Photo2797.jpg

MARTY!!!!! IT'S 1955!

• 5 months later...

Just as all good amphibians do, this thread went into hibernation for the winter. Now that the sun is shining, it's time to get out and stretch. Went to start up the 1800 the other day, and with a jump on the battery, she fired right up. My ears caught something that I hadn't noticed before, a whistling. Sounds like vacuum leak.. I found the ballpark area, and let the Carb cleaner do the pinpointing..

Photo3088_zpsb1cbd402.jpg

(Yes, I know the carb hold-down nut is loose in this pic.)

The whistling was coming from this area, and it was unmistakable. Pulled the carb off and..

Photo3089_zps61596de6.jpg

tumblr_mfx7f9cmec1qc04bco1_400.gif

I wasn't sure when the carb was last gone through, and it seemed to be running alright, but I like to know for sure. It does have a lacking of power at high RPMs, along with a misfire, so I figured now was as good of time as any to rule out a dirty carb. So..

Photo3092_zps13839764.jpg

Into the drink ya go.

I hadn't tried this yet, but my brother told me about it, and was quite impressed with the results. Pine Sol, of all things, as a soak. 2 parts Sol, 1 part water, add a few days to steep. The result?

Photo3094_zps83be23e7.jpg

Not too bad, if I do say so myself! Smelled nice, too :D From here, I disassembled, removed all jets, tubes, BBs, valves, etc.. and placed them out on a towel where I would remember how they went in. The 3 pieces went back in the drink for a few more days. After that, I pulled em all back out, hosed out the channels and passages with a can of Carb cleaner, then reassembled with a new gasket kit.

WHAMMO!

Photo3141_zps52490d01.jpg

Back to work, slave..

Photo3142_zpsa345be70.jpgPhoto3143_zpsdac7d56a.jpg

Cranked her over enough to fill with fuel and she fired right up. Runs noticeably smoother, is more responsive, but still has a bit of a high end cut-out.. 

Electrical gremlins, I'm coming after YOU now..

• Like 5

Yeah, it's really great. Cheap, and it doesn't hurt plastics, so no need to worry about disintegrating anything important. It does affect cadmium plating somewhat, but I didn't really care. Makes grime practically fall off. Anything that doesn't dissolve comes right off with high pressure water or carb cleaner. Very effective, I'm sold.

I told Converted to Datsun about that trick. He did it to one his motorcycle carbs, and the rest in carb dip. He said the Pine Sol worked just as well, but slower.

Its an old trick I actually found on this forum, probably something Redeye said flippantly.

• Like 1