The silver bullet

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

actually this is bringing back plans i had ages ago for baremetal bodywork... you mentioned phosphoric acid etch under clear to keep it from rusting, i know all paint without inhibitors are permeable enough to let rust happen underneath, how is your bodywork going with that?

is there any particular trust treatment or clear coat to use to keep rust at bay?

The wonderful thing about this car is we didn't do any body work, well no filler anyway, just hammer and dolly stuff.

The metal etch will keep rust out for awhile, not forever. Might need to paint it someday.

My coupe has been done this way for 2 years and the rust has minimally increased. And the coupe along with this car both sit out side, almost never garaged.

The problem with clears are they have no chemical in them to keep rust away, that's where the metal prep helps out.

• Like 2

The wonderful thing about this car is we didn't do any body work, well no filler anyway, just hammer and dolly stuff.

The metal etch will keep rust out for awhile, not forever. Might need to paint it someday.

My coupe has been done this way for 2 years and the rust has minimally increased. And the coupe along with this car both sit out side, almost never garaged.

The problem with clears are they have no chemical in them to keep rust away, that's where the metal prep helps out.

James, it would sit inside at my house. Perhaps we should do a high altitude study on this "no-paint" process!

Love that car!

The wonderful thing about this car is we didn't do any body work, well no filler anyway, just hammer and dolly stuff.The metal etch will keep rust out for awhile, not forever. Might need to paint it someday.My coupe has been done this way for 2 years and the rust has minimally increased. And the coupe along with this car both sit out side, almost never garaged.The problem with clears are they have no chemical in them to keep rust away, that's where the metal prep helps out.

niceee

i tried a couple clear coats that claimed to be good against rust but they didnt work

looks killer anyway mate great job

• 3 months later...