Turning a totaled out dirt track Datsun into a Hot Rod.(starting on page 15)

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He says it's a 1.8 Liter, It has a whistle to it though. Rumor is he's gone and slapped a turbo on it. Turbos are completely illegal in my class, the officials are to lazy to check it though. There's no way in hell a stock 1.8 liter mazda motor has that much power. That's why everyone in the class has to "cheat up" their cars. One or two guys screw the whole class up for everyone. I honestly wish they'd just let us run any 4 cylinder engine set-up we want except for turbos and superchargers.

As far as i'm considered there's "cheating" and there's "CHEATING" if you know what I mean...

He says it's a 1.8 Liter, It has a whistle to it though. Rumor is he's gone and slapped a turbo on it. Turbos are completely illegal in my class, the officials are to lazy to check it though. There's no way in hell a stock 1.8 liter mazda motor has that much power. That's why everyone in the class has to "cheat up" their cars. One or two guys screw the whole class up for everyone. I honestly wish they'd just let us run any 4 cylinder engine set-up we want except for turbos and superchargers.

As far as i'm considered there's "cheating" and there's "CHEATING" if you know what I mean...

So then what are you perimeters of your class, what is the biggest engine you supposedly can run.

Why are they not checking the winners?

Does this guy win a lot?

When I was entering hanggliding competitions, if you were top 3, or even top 10 depending how many have entered, they checked your camera film/GPS to make sure you did what you said you did.

What happens if you are caught with a turbo, you don't win and come back next week without it?

He wins every few weeks, there's another guy that wins almost every week, but his cheats are in the motor and computer. I'm ok with that though...

If he gets caught with a turbo, they'll just tell him he's disqualified and tell him to come back next week, then they'll reinspect it. The only thing they "tech" at our track is our air pressure in our tires, we have a 30psi, d.o.t. tire rule and they only check the top 5 finishers in each race.

As far as engines go, the only thing our rules state is that it's suppose to be a stock engine for the car your racing with, that's why I always try to make my engine look stock.

• Like 2

New videos from tonight coming soon, but I'm kinda pissed tonight. Once again, I got mis-scored for the running order during the race and then was Mis-aligned for the restart. :fu: Anyway, I started the race in 18th out of 19 cars, I made it up to 15th and held it for a couple laps, then the caution came out and they restarted me (in the wrong spot) in 17th with only a few laps to go, which is where I finished, 17th out of 19 cars. It would seem that if your not running in the top ten they could care less where they line you up at and you just get screwed... Plain and simple. Anyway, I'll post up the vid's in a couple days.

Also, I'm planning to do my L20 engine install later this week, since we have next weekend off at the track, which will give me time to get it installed, tuned and running properly. :thumbup:

Ok, the first video is my In-Car video from Saturday nights feature race...

The car handled pretty good, it's just way to far down on power to be competitive, although I had a good race going with the cars in the back of the pack :huh:

http://youtu.be/81cKgHLE8GY

This second video is the same race, but the out of car video...

http://youtu.be/CwfO4FDxYSU

Hopefully this was the last race for that worn out original engine, I'm almost done pulling it and the worn out transmission out of the car. I got over heated in my 106 degree garage, so I'm gonna get back after it tomorrow. I'm really hoping the L20B "mystery" engine I have runs good, I went ahead and put a mild cam in the L20b too, since I had it sitting there on the shelf.

I'll post a couple pics tomorrow of the swap and if I get it running I'll post up a start up video too... :thumbup:

I'm wanting to replace my transmission mount while I do this engine and trans swap, has anyone used this part or know if it fits correctly?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEA-PRODUCTS-A2742-Transmission-Mount-/390415269139?fits=Model:510&hash=item5ae6903d13&item=390415269139&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

If not, does anyone know where I can buy a new trans mount at a fair price?

damn!

watching the videos make it really seem unfair for you... just a bunch of neons and shit.. whats the limit on the CC in the class?

those neons gotta have 2.4s in em or somethin...

i think you need to build a LZ24, or even an LZ22.. looks stock in your car, but then would haul ass.

best of luck!

We don't have any limit on engine size, it's just suppose to be "stock" for the car your racing and be a four cylinder, no turbos or superchargers. The Neons are bad fast, but I think when I swap the L20 in there I'll be a lot more competitive... At least I hope so :P

UH OH!!! :crying: It looks like I'm committed to the engine change now!

racewagonphotos017.jpg

racewagonphotos018.jpg

The old worn out oil recycler is on the trailer and ready to take to my storage place. I'm gonna try to get the "new" L20B installed tomorrow or Saturday. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Ok, so I got some work done today....

First off, I had to go to AutoJoke for a new cluch kit, since the L16 clutch doesn't fit the L20

Here's a pic of it after I installed it on the flywheel :thumbup:

racewagonphotos019.jpg

Here's a pic of the engine, as I slid it into place in the car, It's all bolted up now :thumbup: , but I still have to install the trans mount and crossmember. The old trans mount is completely ripped in half, but I'm probably gonna install it like that till my new one comes in the mail then I'll swap it out. Why not? I've been racing all season with it busted anyway :rofl:

racewagonphotos020.jpg

tomorrows plans are to finish up the install and get it up and running again. :thumbup:

CRAP!!!

I just earned a "FAIL" award... I'm hoping someone has a good answer for me...

I just got done bolting up my engine and transmission in the Race wagon and was about to install the drive shaft when "CRAP" I realized that when I went to my storage place I grabbed a transmission with a 4 bolt driveshaft flange and not the slip in style yoke style that my wagon has, so I can't install my driveshaft now. :no: I'm almost sick :sick: , thinking I have to pull all this crap back out and start over, as I am on a time crunch to get this finished by tomorrow, so it'll be ready for next weekend to race.

Is there any way to remove this 4 bolt flange and install my drive shaft or do I have to go get another transmission to put in here or reinstall my worn out transmission?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, it's been a LONG week, but the L20B "mystery motor" is in the wagon and it started up on the first try! :w00t: I may swap ignition systems, since I have a spare set up, because I'm all the way advanced on this distributor and It's easier to swap ignitions than to drop the oil pump and mess with gaskets. The engine does smoke a little, but I'm hoping it clears up after I run it some, since the short block (lower half) sitting for at least 3 years with out a head on it and it had a little surface rust at the tops of a couple cylinders.

The head I installed on it was on a L20 I seized a couple years ago while I was racing and the camshaft is a Cal-Cams camshaft. I measured it and it looks to be about a .460 lift cam, it's mild enough that I can run my stock springs and it has a nice lope to it. I'll try to post up a video soon. :thumbup:

Here's the Video of the engine start up, It's still uploading, so if it's not working check back in a little while.

The timing is at 34 degress, so it's not running just right, I'm gonna have to swap the distributor out. It's also smoking some, but hopefully it'll clear up after I run it a little.

http://youtu.be/qY9tMHSlDaI

I went out in the garage tonight and after about ten minutes of bleeding the clutch slave cylinder I got my clutch pedal back. It feels good and solid, so with a little more tuning I should be ready to "let er eat" on Saturday night. :frantics: I can't hardly wait to see how the car does with the bigger engine. :D

• Like 1