Turning a totaled out dirt track Datsun into a Hot Rod.(starting on page 15)

IT'S ALIVE!!!!

I got home from work tonight and after pulling out and reinstalling that damn pump/distributor timing shaft several times I finally got it where I wanted it. I got it fired up and it's loud and it sounds EVIL :devil:

I still have to set the timing at 38 degrees, but I starts and sounds great. It was 2am when I finally got it started, so I had to quit working on it before the cops showed up :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

can't wait to hear that bomb :thumbup:

I'm gonna try to get an engine start up video done tomorrow. I haven't been able to do one, since I've been working till 11pm at night this week :sick: I'm off tomorrow though, so I'll make sure to GIT ER' DONE :thumbup: This engine has a sound unlike any I've ever heard. :devil: It's the most radical "stock" engine I've ever heard :rofl:

I'm gonna try to get an engine start up video done tomorrow. I haven't been able to do one, since I've been working till 11pm at night this week :sick: I'm off tomorrow though, so I'll make sure to GIT ER' DONE :thumbup: This engine has a sound unlike any I've ever heard. :devil: It's the most radical "stock" engine I've ever heard :rofl:

Are you sure there will be no racing tomarrow?

I guess you can fine tune it then, to bad you cannot go to the track to dial it in.

Yeah, they actually will rent it out on down days, but I think it's like $500 to do a private test and tune day.

I'll probably do a little tuning, but I'm not gonna over do it, as I just ordered a slightly smaller carb for it. I ordered a Weber 38 DGAS, as I think the Weber 40 DFAV is just slightly overkill for a L16, it alway has and still does bog down a little at lower RPM's and I want this thing to have great throttle response. Besides, it's hard to beat a brand new carb.

Wow bro that sounds great!!!!

Thanks, I'm really happy with it and it's the first engine I've ever built completely from scratch with no help from anyone to assemble it.

But, no there's no racing this weekend due to that damn hurricane. It's been raining it's ass off for two days straight. I'm hoping to get it out and kick some NEON ASS with it next weekend.

Well, I took the Race Wagon over to my friends to install a temp gauge today, since I now have a tidy bit of cash tied up in my engine and after it warms up it idles at a cool 165 degrees. Not bad if you ask me, considering it's got 11:1 compression and that huge camshaft in it.

After we did that, my buddy says "fire that thing up and run it up the drive way, let's see if that thing has as much power as it sounds like" Soooo... I did just that and "HOLY CRAP" I tore off down his long driveway and when I shifted from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd I about soiled myself. This thing HAULS ASS!!! It pulled so hard when I shifted it, the whole ass end broke loose and kicked out hard, then it hooked and took off. I can't wait to see how it does on the track. If it's anywhere near as fast as it seems to be, I should be kicking lots of NEON butt. :devil:

ahaha that's nice ! you sould have filmed this :frantics:

Yeah, your telling me. It would of been a great "sample" video to wet everyone's whistle. :rofl: I just didn't know I would be testing it out when I went over there or I would of made a quick video.

Cant wait for the next race video!!!

It's still pretty wet here from all the rain, but if it clears up for Saturday there should be new video's loaded up on Sunday. I already have my camera ready to go with new batteries. :thumbup:

Not much to report, but I did install an Autometer 5" Monster Tach and shift light in the race wagon tonight, so I can keep an eye on the Revs. I don't wanna "set off" the Grenade to soon. I'm just hoping Mother Nature is good to me this weekend, so I can crank it up at the track.

Me too. Working on those turns? With the added power you really want to get that ass out their a little bit to keep the Rpms up on the power to shoot out of the turns.

Dirt track racing is all about the power turn and high revs heading into the straights.

Man this makes me want to start racing again so badly!!!! But I can't afford it right now :(

I raced last night (with the grenade L16), I'll upload a couple vids later today. The car ran great, but I'm still not getting the rev's I need out of it. I went out there for hot laps and it ran perfect, then I ran my heat race and got the pole for a starting position. The guys I was racing with jumped the start and basically cheated and the officials didn't do anything about it. I WAS PISSED! I spent the majority of the heat race, racing side by side with the only other rear wheel drive in the race (a mustang with a built 2.3 liter). We raced side by side for about 4 laps and I beat him. At least I didn't come in last for a change.

When it was time for the feature at the end of the night, my throw out bearing failed, so I didn't get to race again. :no:

Does anyone have any ideas of how to get my engine to rev up better/higher. I checked my plugs and they are a very light tan with no dark spots. I would of thought the mixture was almost perfect. Maybe I need side drafts? Maybe a single carb just won't flow enough air and fuel to rev that high under a load, even with it being a 40/40 Weber DFAV? Help me out guys I wanna get it up to around 7,500 RPM easily.

dizzy is locked and set at about 38 degrees advance. Any more than that and it's really hard to start the engine.

I've been talking to Datzenmike about carb options and I may try an SU set up or the R1 motorcycle carb set up.