Turning a totaled out dirt track Datsun into a Hot Rod.(starting on page 15)

Ok, so I actually built this car in 2010, but I figured I'd share the photos of it from "almost" the begining... I don't have any pics before the paint and roll cage installation, but I know you guys like photos, so here we go...

fresh paint job... Also, if you look closely, you'll see that we moved the drivers door post back a little to make clearance for the cage and easier access to climb through the window.

100_0833.jpg

100_0834.jpg

pic before headlight "inserts"

100_0836.jpg

Not at the track yet

100_0835.jpg

Pics I took at the track, in the pit area, before I ever raced it...

1969DatsunRaceCar006.jpg

1969DatsunRaceCar004.jpg

1969DatsunRaceCar003.jpg

1969DatsunRaceCar002.jpg

1969DatsunRaceCar001.jpg

1969DatsunRaceCar005.jpg

More pics to come... I gotta snap a few of present day, it's not as nice as it was, but it still looks pretty decent for a dirt track car, considering it's got 2 years of track time on it now... Stay tuned 😄

Edited by Dirttrack510
update
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Current interior shot...

Racecarpics005.jpg

Here's a couple engine pics... Weber 40 DFAV-1 on a Edelbrock intake with a short tube header

Racecarpics002.jpg

Racecarpics003.jpg

Here's a photo of the New "posi" rear end with 4.88 gears installed and new AFCO shocks installled...

distributorpics003.jpg

this goon is cool, we did a goon just like it years ago

P1010025.jpg

Something about a BRE goon

I'm sure the paint job is much nicer on that car, than on mine. Mine looks good for a dirt track car, but it's no show car. That goon looks really sweet. I love the BRE paint scheme on wagons. I actually have another wagon that I'm going to build when this car finds an untimely end (like all race cars). It's one of the most popular cars at the race track. People love the Datto race wagon. :thumbup:

Here are video links to the first time at the race track this season, these are the "test n tune" practice runs for this season. The car really ran well and seemed to hold it's own. The car ran best in session #2 (the first video)

http://youtu.be/JCEMNL2-xys

http://youtu.be/J-lTu17LU5Q

Pro-4, it's a "stock" four cylinder dirt track racing class. It's a mix of front and rear wheel drive, single and dual overhead cam cars and trucks. It's a pretty competitive class, especially when you race with a 43 year old Datsun. As you can see in the video, those 4.88 gears really made the old race wagon move pretty good, I spanked that Mustang in practice. :thumbup: I'm running 6500 RPM's at the end of the straight away and about 5500 in the turns. Not bad for a almost stock 1600 L series.

My temp gauge wouldn't fit, so I think I'm going to install another LARGE idiot light on the dash for engine temp and use the stock sending unit, it's not like i have time to read the gauges when I'm racing anyway. :P

Here's the in car video upload of my first race of the season, just as promised. Unfortunately the car seemed a little down on power during the race and then on the last lap my #4 exhaust valve rocker arm broke. Apparently it vibrated loose on practice day and then broke during this race from the cam smacking it. :( No big deal though, the cam is fine and I have a better head to put on the engine (this was a crappy 210 head), so this is just going to give me an excuse to swap the head. Anyways, enjoy the video. Hopefully my next race will be a little better. :P

http://youtu.be/ps1fWZCskdI

I'm going to start taking that POOR FLOWING 210 HEAD off the race car tonight and install my closed chamber A87 head. I'm hoping that with the slightly bigger intake and exhaust ports and the larger valves it should be faster. As you can see in the above video, I just slightly slower than the modern cars and I'm running the 210 head, so I'm hoping the A87 head will make my Datto competitive. Luckily my .510 lift cam looks like it'll be okay to reuse.

Were they pulling away from you before?

That 210 head is like running with a restrictor plate, it takes a while to get up to speed.

The larger valves should help it breath a lot better, I noticed a significant differance between a stock head and a opened up head, big differance, especially on the hiway where I am running 4000rpms.