Turning a totaled out dirt track Datsun into a Hot Rod.(starting on page 15)

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, here's the in car camera footage for this week. This is the only in car camera footage I got, but it's a good one. Enjoy :D

http://youtu.be/wszZvCSlPGA

I think you'll all agree that the car is really improving :thumbup:

Next race is two weeks away, so I'll be doing some more mods to the car... :devil:

I put in a call to Wiseco Pistons today and ordered a set of .060 over forged flat top pistons for my new race engine. Yeah baby, little by little I'm getting all my goodies together for a high revving bad ass little L16 engine. I'm going to order my aluminum flywheel tomorrow. :hyper:

Ooo flat tops will be nice in that, maybe too high of compression with the closed chamber...

I would see if any of the Z springs, or maxima springs would fit, I know ZX is way too big. My idea is simply from a car that has more weight on the front. Or from something else entirely. A spring is a spring and I dont know how they would check for it being original datsun even.

I have a head in the machine shop getting full port and polish, 5 angle valve job, 46mm intake valves, 38mm exhaust valves and and isky L4 camshaft (.580 lift). I'm running 110 octane fuel, so compression isn't an issue.

As for my spring issue, I'm gonna hit the salvage yard and go "hunting" for springs. It sucks that AFCO used to make a spring that fit, but they discontinued it.

Forged flattops, small head, big valves, Isky L4 - same as what I'm running, you're gonna like it...

But 110 octane in a lower compression engine is actually hurting you, lots of dyno proof out there on that subject.

With a 10:1 engine I mixed 1/2 premium pump gas with 1/2 100 from the track.

We're really enjoying the vids, keep 'em coming ;-)

Yeah, I passed several cars. I started in 15th and finished in 7th, I was thrilled. I'm still running the old engine, but it's running much better since I took out the tach. I think it was messing with my ignition system, I'm also warming the engine up longer before I race it. I can't wait till I get the new engine, I should easily be able to get up front with 60 or so more horsepower.

Hell yeah it feels great, I was really tired of being "lap traffic" all night. I'm finally kickin' a little ass out there. It only took 3 years to get the car semi-competitive. :rofl:

Not a good night at the track, I have more video footage, but here's how my night ended... The idiot in the car behind me didn't let up when we came up on some cars that were crashing and he spun me in front of another race car (well... race truck) and put me out for the rest of the feature. I've got some work to do so I can race again next weekend.

Ya, I know right! No penalties unless he does it several times in the same race, then he'd get a black flag, but they never black flag cars at my track. It sucks, but the officials could care less about my racing class. Most the time they never bother to throw a caution flag when someone spins during my races. The only penalty is gonna be me getting even next time I have a chance. He tore up my car and the guy in the 7X truck. 7X had no where to go, so it's not his fault he hit me. The guy that spun me has already totaled out two of his own cars this year and who knows how many other cars he's tore up.

Well, I worked my ass off today fixing this thing and it looks like I'll be good to go again for next weekend. It's not pretty, but I think it'll be good enough to race with. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.