Turning a totaled out dirt track Datsun into a Hot Rod.(starting on page 15)

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are few more OIC's of the damage from the crash last week at the track.

crashphotos006.jpg

crashphotos005.jpg

crashphotos007.jpg

Then I found this tonight, guess I better be at the auto parts store early tomorrow...

crashphotos008.jpg

crashphotos009.jpg

That's the second time I've busted a motor mount racing this car, it was the drivers side last time. :P

<<do i need to sleeve the hole for the new mounting position? >>

I did, and most people do too. That's a pretty important juction point to just "bolt it in". But it's just a race car, so if you rip out the LCA, just weld up all the damage and try it again ;-)

I'm working on uploading videos now... It was a really late night at the track, we didn't get done till almost 1am, I still have to unload the car and put away my tools. The car is handling better though, just need more Horespower to keep up. I finished 16th out of 22 cars. I'll be glad when I get my engine and head from the machine shop. I'm saving up for the last couple parts to get it finished. Anyway, Vids will be up later today. :D We did some in-car and some out-of-car video this time... Stay tuned...

Ok guys, here's the first video, this is the in-car camera from the hot laps (practice).

This Video is an experiment, It took my girl friend all day to get it done and make it nice. (it was a lot of work) We're gonna upload a couple more of the Vid's soon. Let me know what ya think of this one, I think it turned out pretty nice. Enjoy...

http://youtu.be/DdLuJUyqK0c

Just curiouse. How many cars where dnf?

I agree, it seems like your getting better every race, looks like the end of the straight is where they are really pulling while your in traffic.

Is that a dirt or paved track, or the classic tar/old ass rubber on the ground style pavement?

This thread really makes me want to get back into racing, even looked to see if their is a bomber series around but their really isn't anything in the Portland area.

Keep it up dude I love the vids and can't wait for next week :)

Just curiouse. How many cars where dnf?

I agree, it seems like your getting better every race, looks like the end of the straight is where they are really pulling while your in traffic.

Is that a dirt or paved track, or the classic tar/old ass rubber on the ground style pavement?

This thread really makes me want to get back into racing, even looked to see if their is a bomber series around but their really isn't anything in the Portland area.

Keep it up dude I love the vids and can't wait for next week :)

I think it was 3 cars dnf and the track is dirt, but it was really rubbered up at the end of the night. We were the last class to race, there are 5 racing classes there. Pro-4, street stock (bomber), sportsman, modified, and late models. The track was like glass when it was our turn to race.

If you watch my older in-car camera vids you'll see my tach jumping all over the place and not really working properly at all below like 2,000 RPM. Well... I was still running the points ignition system, so today I took a chance and installed a Pertronix ignition system and Pertronix ignition coil. AND WOW!!! All the iratic idle is gone, smooth acceleration and easier starts. I'm guessing that the condenser was bad and causing all my running issues, I can't wait to get it back on the track and see if it's better. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I know that most of you are gonna say... why didn't you use a oem electronic ignition? I tried that, but my distributor drive shaft rod is between contact spots on the E.I. dizzys I have and the only way to correct it was to drop the oil pump... Problem is that splash shield thing under my radiator is in the way and the bolts are all siezed, so it's either trash the splash guard or pull the engine to drop the pump. This was an easy solution and I didn't have to mess with my timing hardly at all. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

If you watch my older in-car camera vids you'll see my tach jumping all over the place and not really working properly at all below like 2,000 RPM. Well... I was still running the points ignition system, so today I took a chance and installed a Pertronix ignition system and Pertronix ignition coil. AND WOW!!! All the iratic idle is gone, smooth acceleration and easier starts. I'm guessing that the condenser was bad and causing all my running issues, I can't wait to get it back on the track and see if it's better. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I know that most of you are gonna say... why didn't you use a oem electronic ignition? I tried that, but my distributor drive shaft rod is between contact spots on the E.I. dizzys I have and the only way to correct it was to drop the oil pump... Problem is that splash shield thing under my radiator is in the way and the bolts are all siezed, so it's either trash the splash guard or pull the engine to drop the pump. This was an easy solution and I didn't have to mess with my timing hardly at all. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Pertronix is the shit ,,so simple and it wakes the engine up immediately ...i could go on and on about Pertronix i just love the system they have developed ,,..

And this is coming from someone who likes messing with points..

I've thought about using the adjustable LCA's, but I'm suppose to be "stock" that's why I'm trying to be "sneaky" and modify the stock ones. I got my new springs in the mail yesterday, but the inside diamater was to small (spring coils were really thick). Sooooo... i reinstalled the stockers for another week, I'm gonna try and order another set of springs on Monday. New vids will be up tomorrow.

Time to go race....