Turning a totaled out dirt track Datsun into a Hot Rod.(starting on page 15)

Thanks Aaron, I get a little closer every week. I'm sure I'll eventually get this car running up front. You know what they say "Speed is just a question of money, how fast do you wanna go?"

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone know what cures that mid throttle stumble? I'm running a 180 main and a 190 air corrector, with #50 idle jets. The stumble gets worse the smaller I go on the main jets, I can't imagine needing to go any bigger on a L16 though. Would larger air correctors help?

You have to beat the Neons. Stay on target. Dominate in a Datsun.

Airs will mostly be working at higher RPM's. What RPM range are you experiencing the stumbling?

1500-2000rpm is the transition from idle to main. 2000-6000 mains. 6K+ airs. The most common stumbling point is the transition from idle to main. Best thing to do here is go up on the idle size first.

Are you running a 40/40 downdraft weber?

Yeah the big stumble is just under 2000 RPM, and yes I'm running a 40/40 downdraft weber. I had #65 idle jets and it was puffing BLACK smoke on idle, so I just swapped em out for #50 jets, maybe i should go up one size and put in #55 idles then.

Not a good night at the track, I had the car running good and then hit a greasy spot on the track and smoked the wall HARD on the passenger side front corner. I'll be posting a video of the crash and a couple pics tomorrow. The good news is we were able get the car back to race-able condition before the heat races and feature.

Here's the video of the "crash" during hot laps, the track was pretty wet and slimy. You'll know it when I hit the wall, it was a really hard hit, when you see the video go blurry, that's when I and the camera got sprayed with steam and coolant from the radiator exploding. I've already started fixing it and surprisingly it's coming along pretty good and It'll look pretty decent when I take it back to the track in two weeks. (this coming weekend is our off week). Try to ignore the tach, it's going out and needs to be replaced.

http://youtu.be/RVmsBe0PAAA

This video is of the heat race, my car was way out of wack and handling terrible, but at least I got it good enough to "race" sort of.... I had a torn torsion bar mount in the front, so the car was a handful and a half, but I needed to run it to get the points. I welded it after the race.

I'll be posting photos of the damage and repairs later...

By the way, when I smoked the wall i destroyed my radiator. I made a mad dash to my shop and grabbed my radiator for my 2dr race car build and installed it in this car. If someone has one cheap, I'm looking for one.

We where suppose to have our first test and tune this weekend, but because of the weather it didnt happen, I will be starting the season in my 610, while I am trying to finish my 510 2dr.

It took me a few races to get it down, but i am beeting the neons now, along with just about everything else on the track

Could you tell any differance in the engine?

Yes, it was definately faster... until I crashed :crying: I gotta work on getting my tire stagger right too...

I love the race wagon, but I can't wait till I get a two door built. Lighter is faster and 2dr's handle better too...

But that's a dirt track, you should find the Power slide speed, not like a full drift slide, but just enough to slide to make a smooth turn while still on the gas at a high rpm so you come flying into the straight.

Like winged sprint or dwarf series cars take a dirt track corner, I wouldn't recOmend the snow tires, we had a big dirt track in my home town and my dad and uncle raced their all the time, it was the coolest shit ever as a kid to watch my old man and my uncle race on the track

I was faster than the neons before I hit the wall. lol... What engine are you running?

I am running a L20B with a U67 head, with a stock intake and exhaust mani, with a custom cam, that is .480 lift, 292 duration, on a 108 lobe center, and a 4 speed, and a welded diff, I have 280 ZX struts with a 280 spring on the right, and a b210 spring on the left with KYB all the way around, I also cut the strut at the base and bent it for more camber and re welded it, and I am running 1/8 toe out, here is one of my vids

Very cool video, I looked up your Youtube channel and watched a couple more of your videos. That indoor arena is really cool, we get rained out all the time, because we're outside. It looks like your top speeds are lower than ours though, how fast are you guys running in the straits? We're running close to 70 when we enter the turns. We're on a 1/3 mile high bank, that looks like around a 1/4mile flat track. Your track looks like it takes some practice to learn how to make the turns good. You guys have a great mix of cars too, it looked like someone was running a 510 four door in one of the other videos.

Here's a pic of damage from crashing into the wall (see in-car video), not for the "faint of heart". This was a really hard hit. Sorry kinda blurry...

Racewagonwrecked.jpg

I've already fixed most of it, I'll post repair photos soon...