Turning a totaled out dirt track Datsun into a Hot Rod.(starting on page 15)

Well... I got to the track, fired up the BBQ pit, ate an early dinner, got the car unloaded and ready to race and.... then the rain and hail came in and they called it for the weekend :mad: , at least that gives me another week to improve the spring situation. Sorry guys, I guesss you'll have to wait another week to get you Datsun race video fix.... :console:

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just curiouse. How many cars where dnf?

I agree, it seems like your getting better every race, looks like the end of the straight is where they are really pulling while your in traffic.

Is that a dirt or paved track, or the classic tar/old ass rubber on the ground style pavement?

This thread really makes me want to get back into racing, even looked to see if their is a bomber series around but their really isn't anything in the Portland area.

Keep it up dude I love the vids and can't wait for next week :)

Not sure what a bomber series is, but I race 4 cylinders as well in St. Helens and Banks, and in the winter I run Salem its a indoor track. I am putting together a 510 2dr right now, and I race a 610 coupe as well

I've thought about using the adjustable LCA's, but I'm suppose to be "stock" that's why I'm trying to be "sneaky" and modify the stock ones. I got my new springs in the mail yesterday, but the inside diamater was to small (spring coils were really thick). Sooooo... i reinstalled the stockers for another week, I'm gonna try and order another set of springs on Monday. New vids will be up tomorrow.

Time to go race....

Our rules read "stock suspension components in stock location" as well and I was able to argue on my 510 that there are stock LCA, mounted in Stock location, but they have been modified

Sorry to disapoint, but no I didn't make it to the track last weekend. It looked like it was going to rain, so I drove to Colorado and picked up my new 2 door race car project from Gypsy Punk. And... of coarse it never rained. Anyway, I got the new car home safe and sound and it's now in the garage getting ready for tear down. If anyone is looking for any parts, watch the for sale ads, as I'll be trying to sell off the "creature comfort" parts I don't need, although the car is pretty stripped out already. lol :rofl:

Anyway, weather allowing, I will be on the track again this week. :thumbup:

Ok, here's my Heat Race "qualifier", my tranny is shot and I had trouble getting into 3rd gear, so I fell all the way to the back and never recovered :mad:

I fell so far back, it looks like I'm racing by myself. :P

Here's the feature, I started in the last row, so basically dead last, but the car did fairly well considering. I disconnected my tach for this race, to make sure it wasn't causing any misfire issues, so the in car video is a little dark.

the first video is the out of car video...

http://youtu.be/sKaN_8i_2I8

This my my favorite video so far, so I saved it for last. You'll see why it's my favorite when you watch it...

http://youtu.be/-mRWDwdvmmI

By the way, I finally have the handling issues pretty much resolved and the gas peddle is flat to the floor all the way around the track now. I simply need more horsepower now. I'm working on it though.

You need to build an LZ something, I bet a lot of the cars/trucks on that track have more CCs than you do, there is no replacement for a bigger displacement.

Some of them might be a little lighter though.

It looks like you bite in better in the corners, but they get you in the straightaways.

I'm still planning on sticking with an L16, but the new engine is going to have around 13:1 compression, 46mm intake valves, 42mm exhaust valves, forged pistons, H beam rods w/ ARP bolts, full port and polish and 5 angle valve job, ISKY L4 camshaft regrind with Dual 46MM SU carbs. I think that will do the job and get me competitive. I just gotta pay off the machine shop so I can get it all back. :P

Besides, my racing rule book says my engine and fuel has to be stock as manufactured, so i gotta be careful what mods i do or i'll be disqualified.

Thats the tricky part im having the same issue, and they dont tech us very well, and leave a very large grey area

1950# is pretty light for your race wagon, nice job. It's lighter than mine, I have more cage than most, and I'm still running a glass windshield, but you've sure done some good stripping to get it down that low.

Thanks for the complements guys, I think I can still pull a few more pounds out of it by removing the over head cross bar supports in the roof and the battery tray is still in there along with a little old wiring and stuff. I'm thinking maybe 30-50 pounds can come out of it pretty easy. When I get my 2 door built I'm going to aim for 1500 lbs, but it's not going to be easy to achieve.

Anything under the back, like old gas tank mounts, or spare tire mounts? Do you have to have the bumpers on? Make a different hatch skin, more of only having the skin, unless you need a functional hatch, at which point I would say fiberglass hatch.

Yeah, the hatch is actually pretty much complete and functional with the exception of being bolted shut. I kinda thought i needed the rear weight for traction so that's why I didn't skin the hatch. Anyways, I raced it tonight and finished 16th out of 25. The car is running better every week although I can't wait till I get the new engine for it. Videos are going to be up soon, if you wanna see action this was the night. A few times I thought I was in a demo derby out there. Some of these guys have NO respect for anyones equiptment, much less their own. I taught one guy a lesson right at the start of the feature, but you'll have to wait and watch it. Lets just say I don't like "door slammer" type drivers. :fu: