Turning a totaled out dirt track Datsun into a Hot Rod.(starting on page 15)

Yeah, they were pulling away, but just barely, if you listen carefullly in the video you can here the rocker starting to tick early in the race. I think it got out of adjustment and kept getting looser till the cam slapped it hard enough to bust it. I can't wait to see how it runs with the A87 closed chamber head. It should be just enough to make the car really competitive. (I hope)

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My hope is that my 210 head was limiting the gains of my Edelbrock intake, weber carb, cam, and header... and that i'll pick up around 25 horsepower :hyper: , but I don't know how much more the A87 head will flow than the 210 head. I wish I had access to a dyno, does anyone have any idea if I'm thinking in the right ballpark for horsepower gains? :unsure:

Stock L16 block? Not really sure. If you must keep it a 1.6L get the L24 pistons (flat tops), but now you are in race season.

You have some hop ups, and such, and you race in the higher rpms which the 210 just hurts flow there, so I would say in your case it would probably help...time will tell...

yeah , but those looked like neons and an S10 which run a engine that is almost twice as big to start with. and the dodges are twin cams...Even though they are front wheel drive they should be able to pull away in the straights..I think even the 2.5 the S10 has started life with 100 hp from the factory, and the 2.5 iron duke has a huge aftermarket support for them..

not meaning to discourage ,,just observing.

• Like 1

Ok, I got the A87 head installed and it fired right up. I noticed right away that is sounds much more responsive and revs up really nicely. I know pics are nice, but Videos are better, so here ya go....

http://youtu.be/WZ_QSx4GUg0

This is starting to turn into a "Video" build page. lol :D

• Like 1

Sounds good, have fun racing next weekend.

If you can get away with a L20b at least, I would go that route, as there is no substitute for displacement, and I am sure you could get away with an L18, as I beleave it looks the same on the outside, and I am sure you opposition is doing everything they can in that area also.

Or even a single cam Ka would have a long list of parts that can easily be added. And efi. And more horse power.

This has been my favorite build and daily read lately "along with the s13 rear disc stuff going on right now" and that wagon is the shit dude.

So I'm a fan :) keep the vids coming friend.

Do a google search on 'plug heat', lots of good info out there. It has to do with the length of the plug tip that sticks into the combustion chamber, ie the amount of heat the ceramic tip can handle. A hotter plug will NOT cure your rich carb issues, only properly jetting your carbs for the application will fix that. Most racers have a box of carb jets for different track altitudes, different temperatures, and different states of motor tune. It takes a while to get it right, but once you do, then you can fine tune with plug heat.

Keep it up, we love having another Race Wagon on the forum!

I'm gonna swap out the 180 main jets tonight and put in the 170 mains, then take out the 65 idle jets and put in the 50's. That should help the rich condition, then I'll run it for a night and check my plugs again.

Loved your first vid sorry the engine decided to do quit on you. I agree with everyone above run what you got, upgrade later. I have spent to much time with my car on the sidelines because I wanted to upgrade something that worked just fine before hand. Keep the video's coming and do us all a favor and stomp some neons next time. We're all counting on you.