Turning a totaled out dirt track Datsun into a Hot Rod.(starting on page 15)

That didn't look like an accident, looks like he took advantage of a situation when a true sportsman would not have done that, people like that usually get what's coming to them eventually, as they will do shit like that to everyone, on and off the track.

It is likely your not the only one he has done that to either, don't let him drag you down to his level.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hear ya, He has done it lots of times in the past to people and he is always running his mouth about my car, because it was always a slower car. I think he's pissed that it's beating him now and he's having to eat his words.

The A series motors have a different bolt pattern than the L series motor. Internally, I believe they are the same as long as it is a 63 and not a 60 trans. I dont know much about the A series stuff though. You would have to find a L series dogleg to steal the front case half from. I have a broken L series dogleg if you need a case.

It sounds like it may be more trouble than it's worth. I know nothing about taking trannys apart and shipping could get expensive to get your part here... I would imagine. I'm in St. Louis, Missouri :poop:

quick question....

Will a dogleg B210 transmission work in a 510 or would it be a lot of work to install it (custom mounts etc.)? There is one for sale locally for cheap.

You don't want a dogleg transmission for your racecar, sure the 200SX dogleg 5 speed will fit in your wagon, and the weakest part of the transmission wouldn't even be an issue for you, as you wouldn't be using 5th anyway, but the only datsun/nissan transmission I have ever destroyed was a L series dogleg, they are not meant for what your doing with your car.

You would be better off putting together a shortshaft 5 speed.

Is your existing transmission giving up?

If Dirtrack doesn't need it, I would.

I sent him one, and you picked up two from me, I forgot to mention it before Canby, as some of the seattle guys were there and could have taken it up there.

Lets see if "dirttrack510" wants a second one, and don't worry, I see at least two more in the future.

Hey Wayno, I'm loving the 4.88 gear set I got from you the first time. I'll take a second set if you can ship it to me again. I'll PM you.

Does anyone know for sure if the A series dogleg will work with the 510 front case though? If it's not gonna be a big hassle, I'd love to have a dogleg, as my 2nd to 3rd gear shift is killing me at the track.

I finished 12th out of 25 cars. No video this week, sorry. The car wasn't running quite right either, my battery was so low that I was getting a poor spark, so the car was "missing" at high RPM's. I'm really hoping that I have my "project Grenade engine" done in time for next week. I'm sooooooooo tired of running in the back of the pack. My machinist says I should have about 10.25:1 compression on the new engine and it should be a decent Horsepower increase too.

Project KABOOM!!! L16 Grenade engine build!!!

Last week, I think my car was cutting out due to low voltage (dead celled battery), so I broke out the check book and bought a new one this morning. Instantly the car seemed to be running better, I'm guessing the new battery is giving me a better/stronger spark. I'm hoping this will get me a little more performance at the track, as the car was cutting out a little last week, as if it wasn't getting enough spark.

Anyways, I'm off to the races. :w00t:

I had a good night at the track, but got screwed by the officials. I started out 21st out of 23 cars and was up to 11th place when a caution came out. When the officials re-alligned the field they put 4 cars that me and the guy in front of me had passed a lap ago, back in front of us. So we got screwed out of 4 positions with only a couple laps to go on the restart. Anyways, the car ran great with the new battery (sorry no Vid.) and I ended up with 15th as my "official" finish position.

Anyway, I'm gonna go out in the garage while its a "cool 91 degrees" and do a little work on the "Grenade Engine". I'm gonna try and get it all done and ready for the head to be installed, as it should be done in a couple days. :thumbup:

Well, the car is all loaded up and we're racing tonight. :thumbup: Unfortunately today is the hottest day for this date in St. Louis history. It's 106 degrees outside, so it's gonna be miserable at the track, but I don't care, I look forward to this all week.

I'll be using the in-car camera tonight too.

Well, I got the car all ready and took it to the track, helped "pack" the track and the next thing we know a big storm rolls in and Rains us out. I guess you'll all have to wait till next week for new video.

I went to the track tonight, I had the wrong tires on the car for my heat race and the car pushed like a freight train. I finished dead last in the heat (I was pissed). Went to the feature and started 19th out of 25 cars and finished 15th. I'd of probably finished a couple cars farther up, but the guy in front of me kept cutting me off as I'd pass him. You'll see it in the videos when I get a chance to post em'. My guess is that as soon as he heard my engine coming up next to him he just moved up the track. He damn near put me in the wall a couple times. Rubbin' is racin' I guess. Anyway, i'm frustrated with the struggle to pass cars, so I think I'm gonna go out there in the garage and slap together an L20B to run, just in case my new L16 race motor isn't ready yet by next week. Either way, I'm gonna try and swap out the tired old L16 that's in the car now.

On the bright side, we have a "mystery" spot every week in our class that pays out $40 to someone in a random finishing position, I just happened to be the lucky winner this week, so at least the jack off that kept cutting me off helped me make an extra $40 that he would of won. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Vid's coming soon.... :w00t:

i enjoyed reading through this thread. good work dirttrack!

side note, those headers that you sold me worked out great! thanks man, i dont think i go tthe chance to tell you. i welded a collector on the end, and replaced all the piping on the sedan. it looks and sounds good!

i have pretty limited experience on a circle track. i participated in a drift event in my sr20 s13, and suprised myself... had a blast. are nissan 240sx's allowed in your catagory of racing? those would be a dime a dozen, and powerfull enough id suppose...